Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 12:22 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
(A conservative manifesto)

Government is necessary for some things, but should do as little as possible, and should confine itself to important functions that private persons or groups CANNOT DO AT ALL. Examples include National Defense, smoothing the course of interstate commerce with minimal interference in that commerce, conducting foreign relations, setting national standards for money, weights, and measures, dispassionately pursuing and prosecuting criminal behavior, etc.

Occasional events like wars might cause govt departments designed to deal with them, to grow to a size appropriate to do so. But afterward govt must reduce back to its smaller size.
The private sector has and does provide all these functions more efficiently and cheaper than any government ever has. Except for war. Government creates war which leads to death and destruction. That is what government does best. Death and destruction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus Fugit View Post
You would support a privatized criminal justice system?
Absolutely.

It has worked well for thousands of years. For examples see the Roman Empire, Ireland, Germany, etc...

And private police forces don't concern themselves with such heinous crimes as what kinda plant you grow on your property. They also don't beat up paying customers for the crime of being black on a Saturday night. Private companies have no reason to abuse customers as they want to stay in business. Government has no such motivation.

Here are some examples:

Ireland: Stateless for 2000 Years? - YouTube

Dale Brown of Detroit-based Threat Management Center is On-Point - YouTube

Old 11-16-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempus Fugit View Post
It really hasn't. You would certainly not want to live in the Roman Empire. By today's standards, its justice system (which to my knowledge wasn't exactly privatized) was barbaric and corrupt. I'd invite you to name one example in the whole of human history of a state with a private court system that we would prefer to live under.

In Rome the police and courts force were privatized. The abuses you speak of were by Roman govt in lands they conquered.

The same people who voted drugphobic presidents into power would be participating in this new court system.

Depends on where you live. Some towns drugs would be outlawed I'm sure. Some would not. The difference is the people would have more control over these decisions.

This claim is disproven by...the whole course of human history. Do you think every race riot in America's years was secretly orchestrated by the government? What makes you think that humans, including business owners, are always pragmatic? I seem to recall needing the Civil Rights Act and Title IX to stop utterly irrational discrimination that under your theory shouldn't have been an issue in the first place.

When did I say race riots were orchestrated by govt? When did I say business owners were always pragmatic? The Civil Rights Act was needed because of government discrimination. Rosa Parks was on a public bus, for example. Title IX was implemented to stop stop gender discrimination by public colleges.

Really, with all due respect, the idea that individuals and businesses can't be racist is...only of the dumbest statements I've heard in a long time.

Really, with all due respect, when did I say private individuals can't be racist?...only one of the dumbest statements I've heard in a long time is someone telling me I said something I did not say.

Would you rather live in 500 AD Ireland or modern day America? Even just looking at the criminal justice system, government regulations are what outlaw determinations on the basis of race and other arbitrary distinctions. "Old" justice systems would frequently employ questionable tactics to get confessions out of people. "witchhunts" were hardly exclusively government sponsored.
I would rather live in modern day America. So what? What examples of "old" justice systems do you have. You make a blanket statement with no fact. The videos I posted are based in fact, not opinion. One of them is an example of a private police force in Detroit in 2013. Is that "old" justice. If you watch the video you will see how much better it works than a public police department. They make so much profit they provide free protection to poor people. Poor people don't get the same protection from a public force. This can be verified by the amount of violent crime in poor neighborhoods compared to wealthier ones. This private force solved that problem.

And, as we know, police and prosecutors never use questionable tactics to get confessions. Never. lols. If a private force did that and prosecuted innocent people they would immediately lose all customers. There is motivation to get it right. If the public system screws up (and they do all the time) there is virtually no recourse. None.
You obviously have never researched private criminal justice systems based on your questions and assumptions. Yet, you have decided that they do not work. Good for you. Hell of a way to win an argument. Just make stuff up. lols.

Last edited by OhioRules; 11-16-2013 at 01:15 PM..

Old 11-16-2013, 02:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The private sector has and does provide all these functions more efficiently and cheaper than any government ever has. Except for war. Government creates war which leads to death and destruction. That is what government does best. Death and destruction.
I am sure the private sector would have the American people's best interests in mind with everything we do. We can put full faith in the private sector cause they would never do anything wrong or ever harm us.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:24 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,551,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am sure the private sector would have the American people's best interests in mind with everything we do. We can put full faith in the private sector cause they would never do anything wrong or ever harm us.
You mean like your beloved federal nanny state? All that they want is total power and no unapproved thoughts from the people.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Maybe you should read what I typed before making silly statements.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:49 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,905 times

Old 11-16-2013, 02:52 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Because the role and power of government is secondary to individual rights.by the bill of rights. Some people just seem loss without government to be their parent:IMO.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:56 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Maybe you should read what I typed before making silly statements.
So tell me, which private company would you want running the country?

Old 11-16-2013, 03:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
None for the same reason I don't want government only to run everything.The foerfather knew the dangers of government every well which is why we have the bill of rights guarding against abuse by government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies