Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:52 AM

872 posts, read 827,833 times

Advertisements

For those, that have such an issue with the amount these Employer's are paying their Employee's. Why do you continue to patronize these Establishments? If you have such an issue, stop spending your money there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 09:13 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes they do, if that's what the job requires. And ideally working with people, learning how to troubleshoot and handle issues, make decision, learning the BUSINESS of the business, etc. But to me the bigger problem isn't the low pay, it's expected in an "entry level" job. No, the problem is "entry level" is now "unskilled" because there are no other levels. You get one of those jobs and that's usually as far as you can go because there isn't a career track and companies aren't interested in developing anyone or promoting from within.

Not every job can lead to a career, I admit, but very few of them do these days. That's a problem because where do you take your button pushing, clothes hanging skills once you have them. Nowhere, that's where. Minimum wage hasn't kept up with COL and that is not in dispute. Together with the inability to move up it's a disaster for everyone, and that's the real reason people are pushing to make minimum wage higher. If there were more opportunities to move out of those starter positions this probably wouldn't be as big of an issue, but people are stuck there with nowhere to go.
rubbish, there are ALWAYS opportunities to move up, even in retail and fast food places. and the real fact is that companies DO prefer to promote from within for most positions. chances are that 19y/o retail clerk is not going to one day be the CEO of the company, but there is no reason that retail clerk cant become a store or district manager either in the same company. opportunities abound, but the people have to prove themselves first, they arent just going to work at a place for a few years and suddenly become the manager of the place. its called competition. that retail clerk isnt operating in a vacuum, they are actually competing with others in their store, and if they just do their job, they wont be getting ahead anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Was this thread created to bash working people? I mean, even though they work in retail, they are still working. I thought that was a good thing. And don't think all retail jobs working for pennies. Like I said, when I worked for Macy's back in 2007 and before, my base pay was nearly 14 bucks an hour, before commission. I had coworkers making an additional 700 dollars a month in just commission every month, not including November and December holiday season.
I know this is not typical but it is not unusual.
thats something else people dont look at, at some places the retail sales people do get a low hourly wage, but get commissions each pay period if their sales goes above a certain point. and i know it sounds like i am bashing low level employees at times, but i am not really, unless they are just going to work to do their jobs and go home and not bother to try and improve their lot in life. if all they want to do is push buttons and hang product all day long, then the problem isnt the companies, its the employee themselves.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:15 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And the common denominator for all those on the list- unskilled labor
Doesn't keep Congress from being well paid, eh?

Old 11-17-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Doesn't keep Congress from being well paid, eh?
because lying to get elected IS a skill.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:18 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Hilarious! Do you have any idea how much money this disgusting Walton family has?
Yes. But we're talking about Walmart. Not the Walton family. They aren't one in the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Do you enjoy paying for their employees food stamps and Medicaid?
Not particularly. Do you?

Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 AM

544 posts, read 610,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
rubbish, there are ALWAYS opportunities to move up, even in retail and fast food places. and the real fact is that companies DO prefer to promote from within for most positions. chances are that 19y/o retail clerk is not going to one day be the CEO of the company, but there is no reason that retail clerk cant become a store or district manager either in the same company. opportunities abound, but the people have to prove themselves first, they arent just going to work at a place for a few years and suddenly become the manager of the place. its called competition. that retail clerk isnt operating in a vacuum, they are actually competing with others in their store, and if they just do their job, they wont be getting ahead anytime soon.

You've must never been a manager at Walmart or other places. They barely make any more than the other employees. Like maybe 11 an hour or possibly even 12, but that's still pretty damn low wage. Like another poster mentioned , there simply is almost no where to move up in many of these corporations.

McDonald's managers only make like 10 an hour or so.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:29 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
Just saying, it only seems to be in this country retail and service workers seem to be looked down upon.I work in retail,and I am always hearing how my job doesn't count and how I should "better myself" and move up.Well, I like my job.It pays my bills.And if all of you "professionals" on this forum don't like it,too bad. Too many of my retail friends are struggling,though.

As long as one doesn't complain about it's long established Fair Market Value, I am delighted it is a win-win for you.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
You've must never been a manager at Walmart or other places. They barely make any more than the other employees. Like maybe 11 an hour or possibly even 12, but that's still pretty damn low wage. Like another poster mentioned , there simply is almost no where to move up in many of these corporations.

no i havent been a manager at mcdonalds, or at wal mart, but i HAVE been a manager in the hotel business, and it isnt much different there either in terms of low level managers making only a little more than the employees they supervise, but the opportunities are still there to move up. do a good job at a poor property, and you too can move up to a better position at a better property, i did. one just has to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves, one also has to recognize the opportunities that present themselves as such. and the one has to take the risk of moving up the ladder. most people that stay stuck in minimum wage, or other low wage, jobs are those that wont take a risk, that wont do what needs to be done to improve themselves, that dont recognize opportunities when they present themselves, that dont sell themselves when they grasp at those opportunities.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Yes they do, if that's what the job requires. And ideally working with people, learning how to troubleshoot and handle issues, make decision, learning the BUSINESS of the business, etc. But to me the bigger problem isn't the low pay, it's expected in an "entry level" job. No, the problem is "entry level" is now "unskilled" because there are no other levels. You get one of those jobs and that's usually as far as you can go because there isn't a career track and companies aren't interested in developing anyone or promoting from within.

Not every job can lead to a career, I admit, but very few of them do these days. That's a problem because where do you take your button pushing, clothes hanging skills once you have them. Nowhere, that's where. Minimum wage hasn't kept up with COL and that is not in dispute. Together with the inability to move up it's a disaster for everyone, and that's the real reason people are pushing to make minimum wage higher. If there were more opportunities to move out of those starter positions this probably wouldn't be as big of an issue, but people are stuck there with nowhere to go.
IME, with family/friends, fast food places at least DO promote from within for managers. I don't know very many people who've worked in retail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
There is no real data in the article. It does say wal-mart employees make less than $9 per hour and Yum! employees make less than $8. I thought 8 was less than 9 so I thought they would be higher than wal-mart. I think the article is another "let's hate wal-mart" huffpo piece.
Yeah, I do believe you're right, 9 is larger than 8. I'm pretty sure of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Was this thread created to bash working people? I mean, even though they work in retail, they are still working. I thought that was a good thing. And don't think all retail jobs working for pennies. Like I said, when I worked for Macy's back in 2007 and before, my base pay was nearly 14 bucks an hour, before commission. I had coworkers making an additional 700 dollars a month in just commission every month, not including November and December holiday season.
I know this is not typical but it is not unusual.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnj1970 View Post
This thread is about low wage workers.People look down upon low wage workers.The perception is we are worth less.In Europe,this is not the case.That was all I was trying to say.
Since you have said the above several times, please provide some documentation. NM, here's some:

Comparing Wage Rates Around the World at McDonald's

Sure, in swanky restaurants, servers get more; they do in the US too.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:55 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post

Do some research before you continue arguing on this subject. You aren't coming across as very knowledgable. The average yearly salary for a Wal-Mart store manager is right at $60k per year. For assistant manager, the salary is roughly $44k. That's just a bit more than 11 or 12 dollars an hour.

For your research, I reccommend www.payscale.com.

I love it when people bash Wal-Mart and then start spouting numbers that they've spun out of whole cloth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies