Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 AM

544 posts, read 610,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
these things are expensive because our (A) tax code subsidizes debt, and (B) we've had loose monetary policy for about 30 years

houses get bigger, cars get safer ... as you mentioned, that has an impact, too.
I definitely do not agree that houses are getting bigger. Maybe for the .5%. Houses are generally getting smaller and the lots are definitely decreasing in size. From the looks of most new developments I've seen, the houses are so close to each other that you could literally jump from one roof onto the next if the roofs were flat. Also the construction materials they are using now a days are so cheap. In almost all new houses/businesses I've been in the walls are super thin which is really a negative for people living with non-family members and even other family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
I definitely do not agree that houses are getting bigger.
well, you're wrong.

http://www.census.gov/const/C25Ann/s...medavgsqft.pdf

Quote:
Maybe for the .5%. Houses are generally getting smaller and the lots are definitely decreasing in size. From the looks of most new developments I've seen, the houses are so close to each other that you could literally jump from one roof onto the next if the roofs were flat.
you have to expand your view of the economy beyond what you can personally observe.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
I definitely do not agree that houses are getting bigger. Maybe for the .5%. Houses are generally getting smaller and the lots are definitely decreasing in size. From the looks of most new developments I've seen, the houses are so close to each other that you could literally jump from one roof onto the next if the roofs were flat. Also the construction materials they are using now a days are so cheap. In almost all new houses/businesses I've been in the walls are super thin which is really a negative for people living with non-family members and even other family members.
The amount of spending on entertainment by the middle class has tripled since 1960, the square footage of a home has increased by over 250%, and the number of cars owned by a middle class family has increased by 80% over the last 60 years.

According to the 2007 US census data,

"In the 1950’s housing only accounted for a little over 20 percent of what the average American family spends. Today, a little over 40 percent of the average American family’s income goes towards housing. The reason for the 20 percent jump is the fact that the average family household size has doubled since what was considered to be average in the 1950’s. The houses of today have more bathrooms, bedrooms, and closets. Furthermore, the individual rooms in the houses of today are also a great deal larger in size."

So housing costs have increased as a % of income (due to the reasons above), all other essential goods categories have statically speaking declined in spending.

The middle class spends more today on luxuries (bigger houses, more entertainment) than ever before in history. The middle class would not be suffering if they maintained a consistent standard of living and actually invested more. Despite this higher standard of living, savings rates among the middle class has not increased whatsoever.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:39 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:
Also, what about the poor housing market? Why are we allowing local governments to regulate that an apartment or house must be a certain square footage minimum?

Why haven't apartments been created that are much like a dormitory or hotel room? Like only 250-350 square feet? Have just 1 bigger room and 1 small bathroom in each. And then just have like 2 community kitchens per floor?
The same reason there are privately made restrictive covenants or equitable sevitudes that limit building type and design. Mostly because folks don't want the poor or rentals moving in to their neighborhood/community and the resulting depressed home values/atmosphere and those folks will often have some pull in the state legislature when it comes to their local government issues.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:42 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Nike. Walmart. McDonald's.

There are dozens of companies who market specifically to the poor and working class, but they don't call them poor or working class, they call them their target audience.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:42 PM

11,755 posts, read 14,644,267 times
I haven't read the entire thread, but there are plenty of businesses that exploit low-income people. It's not car manufacturers because the manufacturing costs are too high to be able to produce sufficient margins on a vehicle that poor people can afford. In addition, they already manage to sell to fairly low-income people in their leasing practices.

The reason I say "exploit" is because the businesses that cater to this segment of the market tend to be pretty shady and to sell products at exploitatively high rates for what their customers are getting. These businesses include:

1. The rent-to-own industry.
2. Payday lenders.
3. H&R Block and other companies that sell refund anticipation loans (are they still legal?).
4. Landlords who rent mainly poorly maintained substandard housing.

There are also the dollar store chains and low-rent mail order firms, like Fingerhut.

What these businesses have in common, in addition to locating in lower income neighborhoods and trading mainly with relatively unsophisticated customers with few options, is that they don't have anywhere near the capital costs of a car manufacturer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies