Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:03 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,816 times

Advertisements

Head Start is useless …. because you say so?

Quote:
Weighing all of the evidence and not just that cited by partisans on one side or the other, the most accurate conclusion is that Head Start produces modest benefits including some long-term gains for children. The much maligned public schools produce larger gains in achievement beginning in kindergarten which may well erase some of Head Start’s gains, but such efforts can be costly. Head Start’s cost-savings and other benefits may well exceed its costs. Yet, that is not enough. Head Start could produce larger gains if the program was better focused and made other improvements. Reforms being implemented by the Obama administration are an important step in that direction. More are needed including substantial deregulation at the federal level that would permit greater flexibility an innovation. Unshackled from unrealistic mission expansion and agency micromanagement, and refocused on education as job one, Head Start could actually produce the results that both its critics and defenders seek.
That's an article that looked at both detractors and defenders and their data.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...e-bottom-line/

And of course, no cons ever bother to look into how much money WE as a NATION save by having these programs in place. as opposed to longterm incarceration, increasing law enforcement costs and the like. That's inconvenient to their selfish agenda.

Stepping aside for a wall of Mircea BS that will prove nothing ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 03:16 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,755 times
We have public transportation, free public schools, the poor get help with food, rent plus free meals at school. What else needs to be done ? I pay the taxes that the government decides I owe. Should I pony up more?
That war on poverty needs to be stopped. It's been 50 years or so that the Great Society was announced. What gives?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,116,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Tell me how one gets out of poverty without enough to eat, no money for transport and education, and no access to education. A wish and a prayer?

Whatever "deadbeats" you like to imagine there are, programs like WIC, SNAP and Headstart have helped MILLIONS of children escape a life of poverty. So your answer is to cut them? Like in the Ryan budget?

Do explain how this works. Your simplistic "we'd have less poverty if those programs work" is just that, simplistic, and fails to take into account an larger population and increasingly expensive education.
Experts have said that Head Start provides no measurable benefits in children when aptitude is measured against those who have not attended HS.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:21 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,489,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
What else needs to be done ?
Education.

Just go tell people the following.....
If you can't afford to purchase a meal outside the McDonalds dollar menu and live in a trailer park than it is not a good idea to make a baby with your boyfriend who will probably leave you halfway into your pregnancy.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:30 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,051 times
Quote:
We have public transportation, free public schools, the poor get help with food, rent plus free meals at school. What else needs to be done ? I pay the taxes that the government decides I owe. Should I pony up more?
That war on poverty needs to be stopped. It's been 50 years or so that the Great Society was announced. What gives?
Exactly, with all this, you don't need as much "disposable income". I doubt Ugandans get all the freebies our poor people get.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Education.

Just go tell people the following.....
If you can't afford to purchase a meal outside the McDonalds dollar menu and live in a trailer park than it is not a good idea to make a baby with your boyfriend who will probably leave you halfway into your pregnancy.
Exactly. Too many people are making too many stupid choices regarding sex and our society promotes these choices. A celebrity like Tim Tebow is made fun of because he says he is waiting for marriage for sex while a star like Britney Spears becomes a single mom and is glorified. This needs to stop.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,764 times
Quote:
They also get free phones. These programs keep them poor because when they make a certain amount of money, they lose funding so why would you work if you get welfare???

Old 11-18-2013, 03:51 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Tell me how one gets out of poverty without enough to eat, no money for transport and education, and no access to education. A wish and a prayer?

Whatever "deadbeats" you like to imagine there are, programs like WIC, SNAP and Headstart have helped MILLIONS of children escape a life of poverty. So your answer is to cut them? Like in the Ryan budget?

Do explain how this works. Your simplistic "we'd have less poverty if those programs work" is just that, simplistic, and fails to take into account an larger population and increasingly expensive education.
Here's what's simple - "learned dependence".

Lots of people, many of them immigrants with a strong work ethic and an emphasis on education, get out of poverty all the time.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
People are pouring over the borders to be poor here in this country because being poor here is pretty great, no where else in the world do the "poor" have it so good.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:11 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
...Only Romania Is Worse

Which policies are being utilized to address this?

Cutting Head Start?
Cutting Food Stamp benefits?
Cutting education and keeping college costs high?
Not raising the minimum wage?
Refusing to raise taxes on the wealthy?
Making abortion/birth control less accessible?
Continuing corporate welfare including the military industrial complex?
Not passing a Jobs Bill?

Really, which policies are focused on remedying this embarrassing and shameful statistic?
That's what happens in a nation where half the people don't pay taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies