Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 10:35 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times

Advertisements

Maybe I am just young and well not that bothered by too many things but as someone born in 1982 and raised up in the 90's how is blackface or whiteface racist? A couple of years ago someone told me about how having white kids dress up as a blackman or woman for Halloween is racist and then I asked how and why would someone be offended if I went as Charles Barkley and painted my face black? Maybe it's because I grew up in the inner city or my biggest childhood stars were Snoop and Jordan and I loved Hip-hop. I just don't see it. If a black kid wanted to dress up as George Bush and painted his face white what's the problem? George Bush is white right? am I missing something. If anything it would make the outfit more accurate? Some people wake up every morning thinking what can I protest or get offended about today. Black people are black well actually most of them their skin tone is more brown in than anything so I don't know why we call them black?, brown people would be more accurate but we call Hispanics brown. Which brings me to this story Mom is shocked her son's MLK blackface costume is offensive. I can already tell the bias in this newspaper reporter. From what I read from other articles the kids were asked to dress up like certain people and this kid was given Dr.King so he went a step "too far" and painted his face black but Dr.King was black so what's the problem? Oh it was it illustrates and the history of it you wouldn't understand or maybe the 2nd grader saw the obvious and said Dr.King is black and if I am going to dress up like him I have to dress up like him. People need to stop being offended! I better not paint my face white with red eye circles and red lips that would be racist towards clowns and then I would have to apologize to every clown in the world that I actually love clowns and some of my best friends are clowns and I even listen to clown music and eat at clown restaurants.

Signed, rarely offended and live a lot happier life because of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 10:50 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Honestly, I would suggest that you research blackface and yellowface on film and in theatre first. Don't just skim over a few YouTube videos but REALLY research the origins. Then come back and we will have an indepth discussion. I would be more than willing to do so. But the conversation requires you to do a little legwork first.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Honestly, I would suggest that you research blackface and yellowface on film and in theatre first. Don't just skim over a few YouTube videos but REALLY research the origins. Then come back and we will have an indepth discussion. I would be more than willing to do so. But the conversation requires you to do a little legwork first.
I know the history, I did that years ago, but this kid wasn't acting like that, he just painted his face black. Beside who doesn't know the history of blackface and yellow face, if this kid was dancing on stage and portraying Dr.king in that fashion well then yeah but by the simply painting your face black shouldn't be racist.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:04 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I know the history, I did that years ago, but this kid wasn't acting like that, he just painted his face black. Beside who doesn't know the history of blackface and yellow face, if this kid was dancing on stage and portraying Dr.king in that fashion well then yeah but by the simply painting your face black shouldn't be racist.
If you have a foundation of knowledge then it should be self explanatory why some would view the parents allowing their child to use blackface in his portrayl as offensive. The child is innocent and it was not his fault. The child's parents probably have your attitude about the matter.

Just because the use of blackface does not offend you personally does not mean that it is not offensive to others. For example, if you are a man you may not be offended by derogatory names used towards women but just because it may not be offensive to you personally as a man does not mean that it is not offensive to women.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:07 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
In other words - you are unwilling to have a conversation with anyone who disagrees with you - yet you are on P&OC? What if he does all that research, comes back, and still holds the position that he doesn't see what the 2nd grader did as offensive? Are you going to say that enough research wasn't done? That sounds suspiciously like those sham preachers who entice more money into their coffers by telling their flock that they didn't pray enough or have enough faith but if they would just pray harder and be more faithful then they would be healed or put another dollar in the plate.

This is a second grader who had no ill motive behind his actions. He should be praised for his creatitivity and desire to give a tribute to a great man. You should be ashamed that you are condemning the kid.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,005,925 times
Quote:
If you have a foundation of knowledge then it should be self explanatory why some would view the parents allowing their child to use blackface in his portrayl as offensive. The child is innocent and it was not his fault. The child's parents probably have your attitude about the matter.

Just because the use of blackface does not offend you personally does not mean that it is not offensive to others. For example, if you are a man you may not be offended by derogatory names used towards women but just because it may not be offensive to you personally as a man does not mean that it is not offensive to women.
We should all drop dead on the spot so we don't possibly run the risk of doing something offensive to another?

Offensiveness is in the eyes of the beer holder, um, I mean beholder.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:19 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Mostly because in a historical context "blackface" was used to depict grossly exaggerated stereotypes - often to deride or ridicule blacks and/or black culture. So some, using "blackface" is akin to referring to black babies as "gator bait" because it denotes a similarly dehumanizing context.

I found the following image on wiki:
Attached Thumbnails
How is "Blackface" or "Whiteface" offensive/racist?-blackface.jpg  

Old 05-19-2012, 01:19 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
I don't think there is anything racist about it. It reminds some older people about negative stereotypes portrayed by actors who painted their faces and played members of another race. There is nothing wrong with painting your face as part of a costume to portray a black leader. The sad thing is that people focus so much on race and so much on the past that it becomes difficult to move forward.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:43 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Maybe I am just young and well not that bothered by too many things but as someone born in 1982 and raised up in the 90's how is blackface or whiteface racist? A couple of years ago someone told me about how having white kids dress up as a blackman or woman for Halloween is racist and then I asked how and why would someone be offended if I went as Charles Barkley and painted my face black? Maybe it's because I grew up in the inner city or my biggest childhood stars were Snoop and Jordan and I loved Hip-hop. I just don't see it. If a black kid wanted to dress up as George Bush and painted his face white what's the problem? George Bush is white right? am I missing something. If anything it would make the outfit more accurate? Some people wake up every morning thinking what can I protest or get offended about today. Black people are black well actually most of them their skin tone is more brown in than anything so I don't know why we call them black?, brown people would be more accurate but we call Hispanics brown. Which brings me to this story Mom is shocked her son's MLK blackface costume is offensive. I can already tell the bias in this newspaper reporter. From what I read from other articles the kids were asked to dress up like certain people and this kid was given Dr.King so he went a step "too far" and painted his face black but Dr.King was black so what's the problem? Oh it was it illustrates and the history of it you wouldn't understand or maybe the 2nd grader saw the obvious and said Dr.King is black and if I am going to dress up like him I have to dress up like him. People need to stop being offended! I better not paint my face white with red eye circles and red lips that would be racist towards clowns and then I would have to apologize to every clown in the world that I actually love clowns and some of my best friends are clowns and I even listen to clown music and eat at clown restaurants.

Signed, rarely offended and live a lot happier life because of it!
I would suggest you acquaint yourself with the history of the United States and it's creation of race, and the history of how Black Americans were disenfranchised, oppressed, and subjugated.

It's obvious if you have to ask this question your education has been sorely neglected.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:45 PM

I have always liked the response to someone who is offended. "Oh you're offended? So What!" so you're offended now what? at some point you just have to learn to let stuff go and move on. I'm Polish/Jewish ancestry so you don't think I have walked into a room or a bar and heard jokes before? you just gotta let it go. When I was a liberal in HS and a little after high school I was pissed off at everything and was offended all the time, I was nicknamed sensitive sally. Now that I am conservative I find myself a lot happier just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies