Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 07:58 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
LOL, I’d love to get a woke Democrat perspective on this name.

Is “Commanders” too aggressive?
Is “Commanders” a nod to “toxic masculinity?”
Is “Commanders” too much of a nod to the military and offensive to Democrats because of that?

So many questions.

In today’s Democrat gender-neutral world, in which everything is offensive, I think they should have just kept the generic “Washington Football Team” name.

"Commanders" don't actually do any of the heavy lifting. They are the "planners". The coaches are the commanders, not the players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2022, 07:58 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
LOL, I’d love to get a woke Democrat perspective on this name.

Is “Commanders” too aggressive?
Is “Commanders” a nod to “toxic masculinity?”
Is “Commanders” too much of a nod to the military and offensive to Democrats because of that?

So many questions.

In today’s Democrat gender-neutral world, in which everything is offensive, I think they should have just kept the generic “Washington Football Team” name.

It's as stereotypically bland and politically correct as you'd expect to come out of the modern establishment these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
"Commanders" don't actually do any of the heavy lifting. They are the "planners". The coaches are the commanders, not the players.
Maybe the name reflects the elite's desire to have us all be obedient, non questioning of their all encompassing authority. Chuckle.

This is MUCH MUCH BETTER:
Attached Thumbnails
Washington Redskins announces they are changing their name-mntosrfm3cf81.jpg  

Old 02-02-2022, 08:28 AM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
They should be called Snyder's Commanders. The team is owned by Daniel Snyder, not Washington. Not one player is from Washington. They're mostly from the southeast US.

I love how these ignorant sports fans root for "their" team. It's not "your" team and it's not your city's team. The only people that can claim it's "their" team are the stockholders of the Green Bay Packers.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:29 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Should have been "The Chiefs" (as in hail to the Chief) or "The Supremes" (for the Supreme Court).

Dark horses would be "Beltway Bandits" (as politicians steal), "Lenin's Leppers", or "Swamp Squatters" (for obvious reasons).

Of course, everyone will now call them "The Commies" now that Obama has infiltrated the deep state with marxists.
'bureaucrats' would be fitting.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:31 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,556,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
They should be called Snyder's Commanders. The team is owned by Daniel Snyder, not Washington. Not one player is from Washington. They're mostly from the southeast US.

I love how these ignorant sports fans root for "their" team. It's not "your" team and it's not your city's team. The only people that can claim it's "their" team are the stockholders of the Green Bay Packers.
Its their team because the team represents their area, be that the city or state.

If we were only picking players from the local area for sports, I have a feeling the Tampa Bay Lightning or Las Vegas Golden Knights would struggle for talent in the NHL.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:32 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

This is an ongoing joke among many of us packer fans. The shares don't appreciate, can't be traded, pay no dividend & offer no real say in team operations.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/gre...stock-scam-nfl

In my opinion these shares are almost like a scam, but they do keep the team going in a city with such a low population it probably wouldn't even be possible if the team wasn't able to do this, so there's that.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:34 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The Washington Redskins football team is changing its name.

Due to all the negativity, shame, humiliation, dissent, polarity, adversity, defiance, hatred, animosity, contempt, discrimination, division, violence, counter-productivity, ill-spirit, un-Godliness, and hostility associated with their name, they have decided to disassociate themselves from such an ill-conceived and controversial group.

From now on they will be known simply as the Redskins!

Washington Redskins are changing their name… They will be known simply as the Redskins | Young Conservatives
Haha. I know this post is from 2013 and the OP has not posted since summer of 2014, but while funny, I have to point out that this joke is pretty much a rip off of something Jay Leno said on "The Tonight Show" around the time the Washington NBA team changed their team name in 1997. I can't find it on YouTube, so this is from my memory, such as it is.

Quote:
"The Washington Bullets are changing their name. They no longer want to be associated with crime. From now on, they'll be known just as the Bullets."
LOL

As far as the Washington Football Team becoming the Commanders, it's a stupid name that is being trolled on every site I have gone to by football fans. It relieves the Cleveland Guardians of the stupidest name in franchise sports. It sounds like an XFL team name,

Old 02-02-2022, 08:37 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,576,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
It's as stereotypically bland and politically correct as you'd expect to come out of the modern establishment these days.

Maybe the name reflects the elite's desire to have us all be obedient, non questioning of their all encompassing authority. Chuckle.
This is MUCH MUCH BETTER:

Grey wolves voted it down as racist.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:39 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Swamp Hogs is better
LOL.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:44 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Too many syllables. I liked the fan favorite, Redwolves.
I was hoping for Red Wolves or Red Hawks. I believe Red Wolves was already trademarked by someone else though. Red Hogs would have been fine, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I love the teams that move and take their names with them like the Utah Jazz.
And LA Lakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies