Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 AM

688 posts, read 652,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Okay, first person to post a link wins!
Sorry, it was a Tuesday.

Tribal leaders thank Obama for Redskins comments

(Yeah, I know half of the people on city-data are going blow smoke out of their ears due to the title of the link, but the Redskins ownership was there.)

*And still, the NFL exists because it's a form of entertainment... There is no reason why a team needs to be named after a racial slur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 06:09 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,894,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
No, I wouldn't, because "redneck" describes a characteristic of a person; albeit an unflattering one. "Redskin" is a derogatory term used to describe a person's racial makeup. White people, black people, Asian people, Jewish people, truckers, and moonshiners alike can all be considered "rednecks." "Redskin," however, is a demeaning term used to denote a person of a specific ethnic group. For example, if you called me a "redskin" you'd be wrong for two reasons: 1) because it's just an unkind remark to make, and 2) because I'm white.
Uh; I'm in Arizona and I've seen several American Indians wearing "Redskins" hats and jackets. I'd laugh if you told them they were being racist. LOL

Old 11-20-2013, 06:41 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,225 times
Quote:
Right, but that doesn't verify what I underlined. If GuyNTexas says the majority of Native Americans polled have no problem with this name, and you say whatever poll he read was BS, one of you should back up your claim with a reference or two...

Old 11-20-2013, 06:46 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,191,388 times
New name "Washington Politicians".

Old 11-20-2013, 07:23 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Why not take a Tea Party Geezer and place is image on the helmet and call the team the Tea Partiers and at half time have the Tea Party Geezers running around at half time with billions of dollars of Medicare bills...The crowd could rally to the cry of No More ACA...
You must be REALLY hung up on the TEA Party to be bringing it up multiple times in a thread that has NOTHING to do with it, and NOTHING to do with anything it stands for.

Maybe you should seek professional help for this apparent obsession of yours.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You must be REALLY hung up on the TEA Party to be bringing it up multiple times in a thread that has NOTHING to do with it, and NOTHING to do with anything it stands for.

Maybe you should seek professional help for this apparent obsession of yours.
You mean kind of like some people are obsessed with Obama..

Old 11-20-2013, 07:49 AM

15,058 posts, read 8,619,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Right, but that doesn't verify what I underlined. If GuyNTexas says the majority of Native Americans polled have no problem with this name, and you say whatever poll he read was BS, one of you should back up your claim with a reference or two...
The onus is on the person suggesting that I'm being untruthful..

This information is part of the public record, presented in court by the Redskin's legal team.

I have also read a detailed correspondance from the owner outlining the history of the name, as well as the cooperative and joint participation of native Americans in the design of the team logo which depicts a noble Chief.

The origin of Redskins came about when the franchise moved to Boston. The ownership wanted a name similar to the baseball team, the Boston Redsox. The Boston Redskins was chosen for that reason. Perhaps they considered the Boston Red roses, or the Red Stockings not appropriately masculine for a football team?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times
Quote:
Anyway, if my kid ever came home and casually dropped the name "redskin" when describing a person, I'd slap the word out of his vocabulary. That pretty much sums up how I feel about the word (or any racial slur for that matter).
Get violent towards your child for using a term you disagree with? Wow, that's sure good parenting. I take time to explain things to my 7 y.o. child why we do or don't use certain words. Last week, she calmly asked me what the word "b*tch" means. I explained what it means, both in a perjorative sense and as a literal meaning. I also explained that it's an impolite word and I don't want to hear her using it at any time. Maybe I just should have backhanded her, eh?

And she did ask me about the whole Redskins name thing. I simply explained that it's some overly sensitive people making a big fuss out of nothing. We're certainly not fans of the team, but others around here are, and she's free to use the team name in conversations.

My daughter knows she can ask me about anything, including the words she may hear in school without being in trouble for using the word in a question asking about its' meaning, and that she'll get a complete and honest answer. Have you ever tried such an approach in educating your child or is a punch always your go-to answer?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,489,914 times
The discussion has been posted to the wrong forum.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:05 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lol-its-good4U View Post
New name "Washington Politicians".
Now there's a name everybody can hate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies