Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 PM

688 posts, read 653,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; what about the Fighting Irish? That's def a stereotype of "Irish" people and not always good. Mn Vikings or even the Boston Celtics? Oh; that's right: they're usually "white" groups so it's Ok for a dark skin dude to be associated with with them but NOT the other way.
"Fighting Irish" is a play on an Irish stereotype, so I can see why people may find that off-putting, but it's far from a racial slur. The two aren't equitably offensive though.

I'm going to have to disagree on the Viking/Celtic analogy. Those two names are celebratory; we don't celebrate racial slurs. We never have, and George Marshall (the well-known racist and founder of the Washington Redskins) certainly didn't... he used them like most racists do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Grow a thicker skin, quit whining, and get a life.
No. The name shouldn't have ever been accepted in the first place, so I'm hopeful that it'll be changed.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:39 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,010,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDJD View Post
No. The name shouldn't have ever been accepted in the first place, so I'm hopeful that it'll be changed.
Here's some perspective on what's truly offensive-

Palestinians name soccer teams for suicide bombers

But that's what's always missing from the Leftist agenda: perspective and context.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 PM

37,166 posts, read 42,353,577 times
Quote:
They wanted to sound fierce, not insulting. Would you name you team something that would be considered a "joke"?

Besides, I really don't care.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,081,614 times
OK, I'm not saying where I stand on this issue, but. . .

We were watching the Broncos/Chiefs game Sunday, and DH asked why there isn't a big thing going on about the name "Chiefs"?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:43 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,734,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; what about the Fighting Irish? That's def a stereotype of "Irish" people and not always good. Mn Vikings or even the Boston Celtics? Oh; that's right: they're usually "white" groups so it's Ok for a dark skin dude to be associated with with them but NOT the other way.
OK, you have a point with the "Irish" connection. But not with anything else because white groups are different because History is only one story. There aren't two separate parallel histories in which each race has been oppressed to the same degree. It's not parallel. IN fact, oppression has been very one-sided since the Enlightenment. So that's why it's different.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Here's some perspective on what's truly offensive-

Palestinians name soccer teams for suicide bombers

But that's what's always missing from the Leftist agenda: perspective and context.
So your justification for an NFL team plastering a racial slur on millions of television screens every Sunday afternoon during the football season is that someone else did it, too? So now it's acceptable?

I'm not buying that anymore than I'm buying that a person has to identify as democrat to be offended by racial slurs.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:47 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,081,614 times
Quote:
"Fighting Irish" is a play on an Irish stereotype, so I can see why people may find that off-putting, but it's far from a racial slur. The two aren't equitably offensive though.

I'm going to have to disagree on the Viking/Celtic analogy. Those two names are celebratory; we don't celebrate racial slurs. We never have, and George Marshall (the well-known racist and founder of the Washington Redskins) certainly didn't... he used them like most racists do.
Baloney! I can't speak to the Celts name, but Vikings are known for raping and pillaging. (DH said he's always wanted to pillage!) And have you never heard the term "dumb Swede"?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Baloney! I can't speak to the Celts name, but Vikings are known for raping and pillaging. (DH said he's always wanted to pillage!) And have you never heard the term "dumb Swede"?
Alright, fine. But, "redskin" is still as racial slur.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:54 PM

39,932 posts, read 26,641,877 times
Since we're talking about a DC team...how about they choose the name "useless twatwaffles"?

I'm OK with a name change; there is no reason to keep gloryfing American indians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies