Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,744,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obviously the OP wants us to think that if you get rid of guns you end domestic violence.
Actually, my point is: If there is a history of domestic violence, get rid of the guns! Any suspicion of domestic violence should mandate confiscation of all guns otherwise, someone's life is at high risk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
To a physical abuser anything can become a weapon..hammer, lamp, kitchen knife.

Harder to escape from a flying bullet than those "weapons" you list.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Wow, this is wrong on so many levels. Only prison inmates, illiterate hood rats and violent drug addicts beat their wives or girlfriends?

You obviously have no understanding or knowledge of the dynamics or types of people involved in that type of relationship.

I was in one for 15 years; it took me five of those years just to get away without being murdered. And, yes, he held a gun to my head toward the end of our 'relationship'. Luckily for me and my children I managed to get away safely, but it was never a sure thing. Even more than 20 years later I don't feel safe, and the flashbacks are a ******.

'He' was a well educated (masters degree) person.

Oh, yeah, I am not brain dead. And if you think that if these people had no wife/girlfriend they wouldn't be violent, well, you're delusional. Just LOVE that 'blame the victim' mentality!
Thank you for sharing this insight. Too many still blame the victim and the Taliban has nothing on those who do.

Last edited by jojajn; 11-19-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,423,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
domestic abusers accused and otherwise cannot own firearms according to the vawa. Thead fail. No more to see here.. move along.
The ban is for convicted offenders and people under a restraining order.

Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-19-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
What I'm seeing in this thread is that conservatives seem to be unconcerned that domestic abusers are allowed to own guns.
Then, when a domestic abuser goes on a shooting rampage, they will say, "the problem is domestic abusers, not guns!"

Most Mass Shootings Target Women and Families; Study Finds Men With Legal Guns Are to Blame | Alternet

Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The only point I can derive from the OP is that women should not live with violent men, and vice versa.
I want to increase awareness of the problems faced by those who are in an abusive relationship.

It is not as easy to leave as one might ignorantly believe. In fact, it is the time that a victim's life is at highest risk!

Quote:
The DVDRC found that in 81% of the reviewed cases of domestic homicide, the couple was either separated or in the process of separating. This shows that victims are most vulnerable and at risk for death when they have left or plan to leave the abuser. But why does leaving an abusive relationship put a victim at greater risk for being killed? The motive for post-separation violence, including death, has been grouped into three categories: retaliation, restoration, and reconciliation.
Domestic violence - is there a risk of death

This is why it is so imperative to confiscate guns from any who have had a history of domestic abuse.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 AM

2,943 posts, read 3,506,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Op, you making it sound like there is a correlation between gun owners and men who abuse women.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
I believe in a correlation between one being a registered Democrat and one typing a bunch of pointless posts on internet forums.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What I see is at least one liberal (you) who has a problem understanding that a person is innocent until proven guilty. And if proven to be a guilty felon, are not allowed by law to own a firearm. Domestic abusers are afforded the opportunity to defend themselves in a court of law just like anyone else. So, if not proven to be a felon, what's your angle here?

The time it takes to have a trial, etc...., the woman/victim will be dead!

Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
And your point is.......? What, exactly?
Anyone with questionable history of domestic abuse should immediately have any guns confiscated.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 AM

27,534 posts, read 16,011,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The time it takes to have a trial, etc...., the woman/victim will be dead!
so your saying no contact orders dont work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies