Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:08 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times

Advertisements

LOL.

Another case of Fox playing the "whiny conservative card" lol.

I love Costco's response. This actually makes me want to get a membership, but eh....I'll just use my friend's to go up there and buy stuff.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Costco is very fair and generous to their workers. They have a stellar reputation as an employer. Isn't it more important and relevant that they are indeed practicing the so called Christian values than where the Bible is categorized?

Quote:
Two years ago the Washington Post reported that the longtime CEO and co-founder of Costco, Jim Sinegal, announced his retirement while earning $350,000 a year. At the time Costco’s stock was up 40 percent from the previous year --- and all while paying his employees a fair wage with generous benefits.

Hail to the Chief (Executive Officer) Craig Jelinek of Costco! | Bud Meyers

Old 11-19-2013, 08:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why do you say that the Bible is fiction?

Are you an anti-Semite?

Are you really so hateful of Jews that you are going to deny the history of the Kingdom of Israel?

What about the Babylonian Empire - did it not exist?

How about the Roman Empire - was that a fictional civilization, as well?

Or is your position that some parts of the Bible are historically accurate while others aren't?

In that case you can't very well call the entire volume fiction(or fantasy), now can you?
None of the things you stated have anything to do with whether or not the Bible is fiction.

Streetcar Named Desire was set in New Orleans. Devil in a Blue Dress was set in L.A.

So that means that those stories are real just because they're set in real places and the author uses contemporary and existential events to color his book?

That's foolishness on your part.

So yeah...some parts are fact and most are fictional...but you already knew that.

You're not helping the Jew's case by the way. The same "God of the Bible" that delivered them from Egypt did nothing during the Holocaust? Is that what you're trying to say? Be careful here because you're gonna come up lame if you go much further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyMustang View Post
Sounds PC to me. It is a price label not a critique. Way way to much thought into this.
Sure it's PC...but why put the Bible in the fiction category when the overwhelming majority of Americans don't consider it to be fiction? That's highly counterintuitive. That's making enemies where none need exist.

Do i know it to be fiction? OF COURSE i do! Blatant fiction. But some sensitivity is required here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If you are an atheist, that is okay with me.

However, do you deny that Christ and the Apostles existed?

Even as an atheist, you would find great wisdom in the Bible. Many of the "famous quotes" by our political leaders have been taken directly from the Bible.
Christ? Yes, i deny he existed. Hell, his own people (Jews) don't even recognize him as such so why should I?

Jesus? Sure he may have existed, but so what? There were literally THOUSANDS of rebellious Jewish religious figures roaming "the holy land" back in that time and Jesus would've been just another of many. His particular brand of rebelliousness simply caught on posthumously moreso than the others because of the faith of Paul and his willingness to spread the doctrine long after Jesus died. No Paul, no modern day Christianity.

As to there being "wisdom" in the Bible, so what? That has nothing to do with its historical veracity. I can get just as much wisdom from reading Thomas Paine....and Paine isn't telling me how to live nor are his acolytes trying to get money from me under the auspices of being "clergy."

That said, sure...it's a cool book to read. I guess. (shrugs shoulders)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There is quite a lot of christian bashing in this particular forum and the vast majority of the time it comes from the left. Just saying.
Yeah well...a lot of it is deserved.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OMG! Somebody put a price tag on that didn't mesh up. The horror!

Some people just have too much time on their hands to get upset over a lousy pricetag.
I agree. This smacks of political correctness gone wild. Seriously some folks need to put there grown up pants on.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:22 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Damn right it was human error at the warehouse! It was clearly mislabelled.
It should have been in the "Horror" section.
*snort*

Can't rep you again.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:24 AM

329 posts, read 431,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I hope they don't cave and that they continue to call it what it is - fiction (or fantasy).

I suspect, though, that it wasn't intentional.
They will cave because the Holy Bible is NOT fiction. At least not the new testament. Jesus Christ did come and was born, killed and rose again so that all of us might be saved through Him.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
When it comes to labeling books, anything that can be reasonably considered fiction in the book calls for the book itself to be labeled as such. If I wrote a book wherein Superman kills Hitler, it doesn't matter how many historical facts I include. It's still a work of fiction. The big-budget movie Titanic (1997) is a work of fiction.

That being said, I agree with this guy!
Really? So the Titanic did not sink? I believe it did sink.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Doesn't bother me either. To each his own. But I don't get the hostility that nonreligious people have against those who are religious. Most of the ones I've come across are just as judgmental as the worst Christian fundamentalists. It's really annoying.
I don't get that either. I am a Christian who believes firmly that the Lord Jesus Christ is my Lord and Saviour. I do not practice or have hostility towards Muslims, Jews, Catholics or Atheist. I do not regard their beliefs as lessor than mine. To me, they are just on a different road to the same God. It is about your charactor and your acts more than it is about which God you have choosen. As for Costco, I am a member and will continue to be but I am somewhat taken aback by the fact they did this. The Holy Bible, Holy Koran and any other such book belong in the RELIGION section. Not in fiction, not in fact.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,118,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
Really? So the Titanic did not sink? I believe it did sink.
Of course the Titanic sunk, but that entire love story that monopolozed the movie was bunk. The Bible is embellished with ficticious stories as well.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I am so glad that the party of tolerance is showing their true colors.

If it were a Quran or Torah I think some of the tolerant leftists would go from laughing to assuming that someone on the right deliberately mismarked it and being offended.
It is very wrong to offend or disrespect any religion no matter what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies