Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:50 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Likewise, there were very minor elements of racism involved in the opposition to George W. Bush.
You mean like this asshat?

Bush Doesn't Care About Black People - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 AM

650 posts, read 514,067 times
Fox commentary on racial issues is negative by its management and presumptive style in the defeatist. Except for the good Doctor guy the brain surgeon gent who is always focused on the positive. Hes a good guy.

Last edited by alexcanter; 11-19-2013 at 08:19 AM..

Old 11-19-2013, 07:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I give Oprah respect for answering truthfully, something many people in her position avoid like the plague.
As for her answer? It's how she feels and it seems many like her feel that way as well. Could she have avoided all controversy and given a non answer? Sure but everyone would know it's a non answer or a lie if you will.

What's the problem? Don't like the message or the messenger? I'm sure and her "buddies" don't like many/most of the things conservatives say/do right?
Don't forget "O" has been frozen out of the administration since the election ended. Talk about ungrateful so-and-so's.

My personal opinion of what she said is that it saddens me that she (and others of her ilk) think so poorly of those that oppose this president and his agenda and can only voice the argument of race as the reason for the opposition instead of realizing that there's substantial reasons based in fact and ideology for it.
It's an old,tired charge that demeans those that have suffered actual racism not to mention the word isn't being used correctly to begin with.
Do you honestly believe that race is not a factor is some of the opposition? I feel that it is. Just like Oprah and I'd bet the majority of black people and a large portion of white people feel the same in this country.

There have just been too many first time disrespectful antics and racially charged comments thrown at the president and his wife for me personally to think that race of Obama is not a factor.

And FWIW, Oprah and her family "suffered actual racism." A large majority of black people her age suffered racism. I'm sure she also suffered actual sexism based on being a woman.

One can not like a president based on ideology, that is fine and dandy IMO. But the fact that Obama's wife is ridiculed and his children and that he has actually been referred to with historically racist and stereotypical adjectives is proof to that his skin color is a factor.

Also the fact that our congress since 2010 has not made an effort to actually govern, is what is primarily a concern for me. Even during the Clinton years (and the GOP hated Clinton and his wife with a vengeance) congress worked to tackle problems. They got welfare reform passed and Clinton signed it, something that many liberals did not want to happen. They did a lot of things that helped us get out of the recession that was going on after Bush 1. But now there is a stalemate. Obama is not that much different from Clinton politically, regardless of what staunch extreme right wingers think of him. One of my biggest issues with Obama is that I think he is way too willing to compromise (in the past and now with this ACA stuff in regard to allowing the cancelled plans to continue - I think Congress should have been the leaders on this issue and others and that they could easily have negotiated certain portions of the ACA instead of having a hissy fit and causing the shut down last month). But the GOP, especially the Tea Partiers who I feel are the core element of the racist wing of the party, want to say "no" instead of govern and I feel that one of the primary reasons they don't want to work with him is because he is black. You may not like that, but it is how I feel and a lot of people I know feel and I don't like that Obama compromises too much with the GOP (in the past) and that he continues to order drone strikes to kill people, including American citizens overseas, and that he hasn't closed Gitmo, and about 50 other things politically about him. But I also know that congressmen have said racist things about him. Right wing media continues to say racist things about him and his family and due to the association of right wing media to the right wing party - the Republicans and the GOP, and their association with old white men being old white men are the core of the GOP, many people see that those old white men are not working with Obama due to him being black.

Policy can be negotiated. Discriminatory and racist attitudes cannot.

Quote:
I think it goes without saying that there are very minor elements of racism involved in the opposition to Barack Obama. Likewise, there were very minor elements of racism involved in the opposition to George W. Bush and every other previous President in modern times as well.To say that there is **some** racist undertones is stating the obvious.

What Oprah was trying to convey is that she believes that Barack Obama has faced relentless racism from the opposition. No level of hedging on her part can water down the fact that she truly thinks that the President is disliked for his race, and not his policies.

And then you folks come along and defend her as if she didn't actually assert that racism is a major factor from those that dislike the President? That's exactly what she asserted through semantical contortionism.

That's why we don't take you seriously.
LOL that you think that other presidents have faced "minor elements of racism" especially in regards to GW Bush. LOL! Who in our country, in our government or in our media described GW Bush with a stereotypical or racist moniker? What member of our congress got up during a State of the Union Address and publically showed disrespect about Bush's lies? None.

FWIW, all president's lie. I don't have a problem with people being upset about it. I do consider those who go on and on about any politicians "lies" as naïve and gullible considering all politicians from the local level on up to the president lie all the freaking time! LOL

Oprah conveyed what she wanted to convey. She has never been one to mince words or say things that she didn't mean. So you trying to "decode" her comments is pretty silly.

And you may not want to admit it, but the president is disliked for his race. I don't feel the majority of the American public dislikes him based on race but I do feel that race is a factor for many in the extreme right wing of the GOP, most of whom are naïve and guillible when it comes to their media in that they spout everything they "discover" on Hannity and Limbaugh and the commentaries on Fox News.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:05 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
i would say 20 percent of white conservative males do not like obama because he is black, and the other 80 percent just dont agree based on policy.

that 20 percent is 10 times louder then that 80 percent, which gives the illusion that the majority of white conservative males do not like obama because he's black.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monello View Post
Kanye is an idiot and does not represent anyone but himself, unlike the House of Representatives and its members who represent the American public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i would say 20 percent of white conservative males do not like obama because he is black, and the other 80 percent just dont agree based on policy.

that 20 percent is 10 times louder then that 80 percent, which gives the illusion that the majority of white conservative males do not like obama because he's black.

This is true and this is why Oprah, myself, and many other Americans who are black, white, Hispanic, Asian, Indian and in between, feel the way we do.

And personally, as a black woman, I feel that since the GOP allows the loud 20% to go unchecked that they condone such comments and behavior. The only one that publically shamed a racist was John McCain and even though I don't agree with all his ideologies (especially is continued war mongering) I respect him for not wanting to associate himself with the racist conservative minority.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
What? Your assertion is that she didn't have the opportunity to say "No, I don't think race is a major factor in the opposition to the President."

But she didn't. She went the opposite direction. Loyalty To The Raceâ„¢ must be a very strong emotion. Not only did Oprah use it, you have used it as well in your defense of her.

Sad indeed.
When all surveys indicate that nearly 50% of the GOP believes Obama was born in Kenya you can`t run away from charges of racism. Blatant racism at that.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:12 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Do you honestly believe that race is not a factor is some of the opposition? I feel that it is. Just like Oprah and I'd bet the majority of black people and a large portion of white people feel the same in this country.
Some as in little but not the huge pervasive amount that's implied.

Quote:
There have just been too many first time disrespectful antics and racially charged comments thrown at the president and his wife for me personally to think that race of Obama is not a factor.
Disrespectful comments do not equal racism. As for "racially charged comments"? The many I've see that were "claimed" to be racially charged were only seen that way by those that wanted to see it.

Quote:
And FWIW, Oprah and her family "suffered actual racism." A large majority of black people her age suffered racism. I'm sure she also suffered actual sexism based on being a woman.
So what? A large percentage of jews suffer anti-sematism daily but that doesn't make everyone an anti-semite does it? It also doesn't make anyone who disagrees one either.

Quote:
One can not like a president based on ideology, that is fine and dandy IMO. But the fact that Obama's wife is ridiculed and his children and that he has actually been referred to with historically racist and stereotypical adjectives is proof to that his skin color is a factor.
You do realize the first lady has said/done things that bring on ridicule right? It's nothing to do with her color, just her ideology that SUCKS.

Quote:
Also the fact that our congress since 2010 has not made an effort to actually govern, is what is primarily a concern for me. Even during the Clinton years (and the GOP hated Clinton and his wife with a vengeance) congress worked to tackle problems. They got welfare reform passed and Clinton signed it, something that many liberals did not want to happen. They did a lot of things that helped us get out of the recession that was going on after Bush 1. But now there is a stalemate. Obama is not that much different from Clinton politically, regardless of what staunch extreme right wingers think of him. One of my biggest issues with Obama is that I think he is way too willing to compromise (in the past and now with this ACA stuff in regard to allowing the cancelled plans to continue - I think Congress should have been the leaders on this issue and others and that they could easily have negotiated certain portions of the ACA instead of having a hissy fit and causing the shut down last month). But the GOP, especially the Tea Partiers who I feel are the core element of the racist wing of the party, want to say "no" instead of govern and I feel that one of the primary reasons they don't want to work with him is because he is black. You may not like that, but it is how I feel and a lot of people I know feel and I don't like that Obama compromises too much with the GOP (in the past) and that he continues to order drone strikes to kill people, including American citizens overseas, and that he hasn't closed Gitmo, and about 50 other things politically about him. But I also know that congressmen have said racist things about him. Right wing media continues to say racist things about him and his family and due to the association of right wing media to the right wing party - the Republicans and the GOP, and their association with old white men being old white men are the core of the GOP, many people see that those old white men are not working with Obama due to him being black.

Heaven knows that they've all got to be racist because they disagree with his highness right? Obama compromise? Puhleeeeeessseeee. You've just turned a reasoned discussion into total fantasy.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:14 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
The "trend started" because he started lying even before he was sworn in. Think of his promise to close Gitmo as soon as he got in office, his promise of transparency etc.

He earned the title of liar-in-chief.
The Republicans didn't let him close Gitmo. That's not a lie, that's Republican obstructionism. The problem is Republicans hate Obama so much, in large part due to his race and supposed foreignness, that they can't even see basic reality.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:15 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
When all surveys indicate that nearly 50% of the GOP believes Obama was born in Kenya you can`t run away from charges of racism. Blatant racism at that.

Exactly. The persistence of birtherism is proof plain and simple of racism. Today's conservative movement is just like its bigoted fathers and grandfathers, who never apologized for Jim Crow or the lynchings or the beatings.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

LOL that you think that other presidents have faced "minor elements of racism" especially in regards to GW Bush. LOL! Who in our country, in our government or in our media described GW Bush with a stereotypical or racist moniker? What member of our congress got up during a State of the Union Address and publically showed disrespect about Bush's lies? None.

FWIW, all president's lie. I don't have a problem with people being upset about it. I do consider those who go on and on about any politicians "lies" as naïve and gullible considering all politicians from the local level on up to the president lie all the freaking time! LOL

Oprah conveyed what she wanted to convey. She has never been one to mince words or say things that she didn't mean. So you trying to "decode" her comments is pretty silly.

And you may not want to admit it, but the president is disliked for his race. I don't feel the majority of the American public dislikes him based on race but I do feel that race is a factor for many in the extreme right wing of the GOP, most of whom are naïve and guillible when it comes to their media in that they spout everything they "discover" on Hannity and Limbaugh and the commentaries on Fox News.
So, black people hated Bush because of his policies, but white people hate Barack Obama because of his race? White people have a monopoly on racism, and black people are just casual and astute observers of policy?

I, for one, can't believe you'd even make such an assertion. And if this is not what you asserted, then you should clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies