Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 08:32 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,695,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
People are just going to disable V2V, it'll bomb.
chances are it will be so integrated into the vehicle electronics, that if you try to disable it you will disable the system, and then you would have to have the vehicle towed to the dealer the have the computer reflashed, and then you would get a citation for tampering with a safety system, or some such garbage. and dont forget that the ECU is only one computer in the engine management system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,224,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I don't think the Tea Partiers will like that much. Next thing they will want to know the speed of mobility scooters.
From what I've seen, most Tea Partiers are still staring at that blinking clock of their VCR...

Old 11-19-2013, 08:43 PM

34,262 posts, read 19,266,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
With the number of CATV cameras deployed on almost every intersection by city governments why is this such a big deal?

All the NHTSA is doing is playing catch-up to most of the cities in America...

Americans lost their right to privacy by their lack of voting, lack of interest in current events and sheer frigging stupidity and now they are getting what they deserve...
Yeah I forgot about the cameras. They also have some AMAZING license plate scanners.

And 20 years ago you could make out license plate numbers from orbiting satellites, I haven't kept track to see if thats improved, but I imagine it has.

So bottom line, this isnt a big thing because its stuff the government mostly knows, the real time aspect of it includes more data thats more relevant to helping other cars navigate. If this was new, and gave the government new capabilities we might be more alarmed.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,944,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yeah I forgot about the cameras. They also have some AMAZING license plate scanners.

And 20 years ago you could make out license plate numbers from orbiting satellites, I haven't kept track to see if thats improved, but I imagine it has.

So bottom line, this isnt a big thing because its stuff the government mostly knows, the real time aspect of it includes more data thats more relevant to helping other cars navigate. If this was new, and gave the government new capabilities we might be more alarmed.
That's it.

You know, just because we've been encroached on, it's a GREAT idea to do it some more, all in the name of having the government make all our decisions for us. You know, you're one scary subservient masochist.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,195,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
From what I've seen, most Tea Partiers are still staring at that blinking clock of their VCR...
So how many Tea Party members houses have you invaded to come up with this stat

Old 11-20-2013, 10:08 AM

544 posts, read 608,782 times
Quote:
So what happens once a computer glitch sends your vehicle off a cliff?

What happens if they deem you or someone in your family a terorisst, and they do away with the person by ramming them into a tree at 90 miles per hour, and then say that the person likely committed suicide.

What happens if people want to leave the country because of a police state, but they don't let any cars leave state lines?

Old 11-20-2013, 10:20 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,400,553 times
Quote:

I'm solidly in your corner on this one as humans left to their own devices while behind the wheel of a 3K lb vehicle have proven to be the stupidest beings on the planet. Texters seem immune from common sense; drunks still get behind the wheel and granny Methuselah with her twelve year old out of date prescription glasses still thinks the turn signal lever is to hang her change purse from.

Speaking of RV's; at 65' long all hooked up; it beggars the imagination to feel the angst of having your wife tell you the Mazda 3 you're not quite half way past is wandering into your rear set of duals while the tweeny-brain driving the thing is busily absorbed texting her friends back at the mall.

Bring it on. Do nothing wrong and it won't have any personal impact.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,400,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
So what happens once a computer glitch sends your vehicle off a cliff?

What happens if they deem you or someone in your family a terorisst, and they do away with the person by ramming them into a tree at 90 miles per hour, and then say that the person likely committed suicide.

What happens if people want to leave the country because of a police state, but they don't let any cars leave state lines?
If you firmly believe the state of your government has degraded thusly then you're in a far worse place than worrying over computer's talking to each other.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:55 PM

544 posts, read 608,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
That's it.

You know, just because we've been encroached on, it's a GREAT idea to do it some more, all in the name of having the government make all our decisions for us. You know, you're one scary subservient masochist.
It's amazing how so many people, like some in this thread, are so willingly to have government control other peoples actions and even their own.

Just because there is like a 0.006% chance of you being in a car accident today, and a 0.0000000000000014% chance that you end up in the hospital from a car accident today, doesn't mean that we need to eliminate human drivers all together.

Just because there is like a .00000012% chance of you getting cancer from second hand smoke, should not mean that businesses shouldn't have the right to let their customers smoke in their establishment.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:22 PM

20,599 posts, read 19,259,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
That's it.

One requirement that would help in several ways is that all surveillance is accessible. Why can't everyone look at the tunnel cam? If they are going to have it then it needs to be a live feed. Of the several good reasons , one of them is to let you know how much you are watched.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies