Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:10 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times

Advertisements

Yes! That is what pro-lifers are telling pregnant women who are considering abortion.

College Is Free After You Have A Baby, And Other Lies That ‘Crisis Pregnancy Centers’ Tell Real Women
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 09:18 AM

13,620 posts, read 12,707,557 times
are these peeps related to the big o???

Old 11-20-2013, 09:28 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,659,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yes! That is what pro-lifers are telling pregnant women who are considering abortion.

College Is Free After You Have A Baby, And Other Lies That ‘Crisis Pregnancy Centers’ Tell Real Women
Indeed, when women decide they want to have an abortion, these type of emotionally manipulative tactics don’t actually succeed at convincing them otherwise. Ninety percent of women have made up their minds about having an abortion before visiting a doctor or a clinic.

If this is what these people believe, then doesn't this issue become fairly moot?

Apparently not, because the article goes on to bemoan how these pro-life groups "contribute to the pervasive stigma surrounding abortion." Do they not think there should be a stigma associated with abortion?

Old 11-20-2013, 09:30 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Indeed, when women decide they want to have an abortion, these type of emotionally manipulative tactics don’t actually succeed at convincing them otherwise. Ninety percent of women have made up their minds about having an abortion before visiting a doctor or a clinic.

If this is what these people believe, then doesn't this issue become fairly moot?

Apparently not, because the article goes on to bemoan how these pro-life groups "contribute to the pervasive stigma surrounding abortion." Do they not think there should be a stigma associated with abortion?
It's called "telling outright lies". Shouldn't you be OPPOSED to such tactics? Or is it ok to LIE when it's some manipulative pro-life group? That's what I thought. It's like this guy I came across outside a clinic who had a sign stating birth control pills cause abortions. I made a point of telling him his sign was an outright lie. Boy was he unhappy when I confronted him about his lying.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:37 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,659,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
It's called "telling outright lies". Shouldn't you be OPPOSED to such tactics? Or is it ok to LIE when it's some manipulative pro-life group? That's what I thought. It's like this guy I came across outside a clinic who had a sign stating birth control pills cause abortions. I made a point of telling him his sign was an outright lie. Boy was he unhappy when I confronted him about his lying.
Being against telling lies like that should go without saying. Encouraging a single woman to have a baby to get free stuff is not a frame of thought for constitutional conservatives.

However, telling a single woman to have a baby to get free stuff from government is something liberal democrat might say.

This is why I keep pointing it out, and differentiating between a constitutional conservative and a religious conservative, you cannot just assume that the two necessarily have anything in common.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:48 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,935,657 times
Actually, it is my understanding that the "morning after" pill DOES cause an abortion (miscarriage) to occur!
So, in a way, his sign was correct, depending on which birth control pill is under discussion
The "ordinary" 28 day birth control pills prevent ovulation, and thus do not cause an abortion.
An intra-uterine device prevents the implantation of the embryo, so it also causes an abortion.
So, in a way, HE was correct, and YOU were lying! AND, in a way, YOU were correct, and HE was lying.
It is obvious which way YOU choose to look at the issue!

Old 11-20-2013, 10:12 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,617,598 times
Lying to save babies from being aborted: BAD
Lying to get re-elected and your horrible healthcare bill passed: GOOD

That is if this is even true, coming from the horribly biased Think Progress.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 AM

18,340 posts, read 18,963,331 times
aside from the BS telling women they get a free education if they give birth, which I find disgusting. giving a young woman the ability to better herself and the life of her newborn should be something we do. conservatives want to lower the welfare roles and it won't happen as long as these young girls have no education or much of a future. seems counter productive for a conservative to oppose, however it does cement the image of the pro lifer who is pro life until the baby is born.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:27 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,753,611 times
Have a baby and college is free!-birth.jpg

Old 11-20-2013, 10:45 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Being against telling lies like that should go without saying. Encouraging a single woman to have a baby to get free stuff is not a frame of thought for constitutional conservatives.

However, telling a single woman to have a baby to get free stuff from government is something liberal democrat might say.

This is why I keep pointing it out, and differentiating between a constitutional conservative and a religious conservative, you cannot just assume that the two necessarily have anything in common.
So now you're moving the goal post? Your assumption doesn't even make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies