Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

My father is in the age range you would expect to be in the tea party (he is 60+) but he is anti-tea party and I am at the age of 26. Why, because they want to cut taxes and slash spending with no restraint when you need to show some in some places and increase taxes to actually remove the deficit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 09:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
They have to play the victim, and lie, and cheat, and bride, and when all else fails play the race card.

Well when peter confronts Paul, it ends with Paul getting the crap beaten out of him.
Seeing that my post had nothing to do with race or being a victim of any kind, I am not sure where you are trying to go with your fictional Peter and Paul poetry but it doesn't really rhyme.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:33 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,319,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Not a part of it but I say its gained power every fast compared to most major movements. being a young person of the 60's :I see many who are supporters being the same anti-government crowd as anti-war movement. Distrust of government has not changed .
The difference is that they were not supported by wealthy crackpots (Koch brothers) who systematically taking over the government one politican at a time. The sad thing about it they are supported by the most ill-informed sheeple that you can imagine. These people are more concerned about idealogy than facts.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Well, no. I live in the South. Here, EVERYONE is conservative. It's a feeble attempt at explaining something away. Like I said, I am aware of my own biases and the biased created by one's associations. That's not it...
Uhhhh.... Right.

Listen, Wyoming, which is far more conservative than any southern state, still has tons of liberals in it.

You're just insulting people's intelligence.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:52 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Uhhhh.... Right.

Listen, Wyoming, which is far more conservative than any southern state, still has tons of liberals in it.

You're just insulting people's intelligence.
This, right here, is as red as it gets. It's a deep red town in a deep red county in a deep red state (although, on a state level, democrats are making headway). They are as wary of "liberals" here as they are of atheists. To find a liberal down here is very, very rare. Almost as rare as finding a person openly confessing atheism.

Alas, it's really not important to me. I neither gain nor lose anything by my impressions about TP popularity (or lack thereof) being true. You, on the other hand, are invested in the TP and thus, have a vested interest in the movement's strength.

In other words, not only is your bias likely much stronger than mine because you are immersed in TP culture and surrounded by other TPers, but you actually MUST believe in the success of the TP as a means of ideological self-preservation.

All I can tell you from an outsider's perspective is that the reality of the TP seems quite opposite of what you assume it to be - at least in this utterly conservative corner of the US. You can do with that information whatever you want. Chances are that you'll do what the TP seems to always do: Ignore reality. I don't blame you, either - there really is nothing you CAN do with that information.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
I have my doubts. The TP takes social stances that seem to run counter to what young people believe "right," fair, and relevant. For many, there is no question that government waste and spending need to be curbed - that seems rather sensible. Most don't seem to be willing to pursue this at the expense of the social liberties of their fellow Americans. And that's where the TP is no longer a viable option.
Don't believe everything you read on those left-wing sites!

Old 11-21-2013, 10:52 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Don't believe everything you read on those left-wing sites!
Never have, never will. As I stated, I am going by my personal experience. Is it really so difficult to comprehend that people can form opinions, have impressions, and reach conclusions based on their own observations and without having to be prompted by the media?

Is that how it works for you? You just repeat what you read or hear? It must be, otherwise that thought would never even cross your mind. No? Then why would it be different for others? Don't worry about answering - it's a rhetorical question.

It's the same ridiculous approach to discourse that is so prevalent everywhere these days: Don't agree with me? Well, you are:

a) stupid
b) a lemming
c) a shill
d) brainwashed

You know what all of that really means? It means that there is an unwillingness or an inability to have a discussion. It means that one party is so steeped in whatever the topic happens to be that they cannot assimilate any information that does not fit the mold. Instead of addressing the topic, these people resort to bottom-feeder mentality. It's much easier and requires no skill or thought. Sad, sad, sad.

Having been on CD for a while, I am not at all surprised.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Seeing that my post had nothing to do with race or being a victim of any kind, I am not sure where you are trying to go with your fictional Peter and Paul poetry but it doesn't really rhyme.

Depends, are you playing Peter, or are you playing the part of Paul.

What happens when Peter confronts Paul and Paul points the finger at you?

Old 11-22-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
This, right here, is as red as it gets. It's a deep red town in a deep red county in a deep red state (although, on a state level, democrats are making headway). They are as wary of "liberals" here as they are of atheists. To find a liberal down here is very, very rare. Almost as rare as finding a person openly confessing atheism.

Alas, it's really not important to me. I neither gain nor lose anything by my impressions about TP popularity (or lack thereof) being true. You, on the other hand, are invested in the TP and thus, have a vested interest in the movement's strength.

In other words, not only is your bias likely much stronger than mine because you are immersed in TP culture and surrounded by other TPers, but you actually MUST believe in the success of the TP as a means of ideological self-preservation.

All I can tell you from an outsider's perspective is that the reality of the TP seems quite opposite of what you assume it to be - at least in this utterly conservative corner of the US. You can do with that information whatever you want. Chances are that you'll do what the TP seems to always do: Ignore reality. I don't blame you, either - there really is nothing you CAN do with that information.
This ^^^^ explains why you can't possibly understand squat.

When you take it upon yourself to tell me that I don't know what I think, or how I identify myself, and that I'm incapable of comprehending things objectively (it must be, you seem to think I'm incapable of comprehending even what I think inside my own head, because you know it better than I do), then you have "jumped the shark" figuratively speaking. Not only do you have no idea who and what I am, you also do not have any clue who and what the TP is nor the motivation that sprung a grassroots movement.

I have never been part of any protest, organization, or movement. Nor do I self identify with it. I just happen to know they're right, as far as they go, about what's wrong.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Never have, never will. As I stated, I am going by my personal experience. Is it really so difficult to comprehend that people can form opinions, have impressions, and reach conclusions based on their own observations and without having to be prompted by the media?
It does, but when you repeat stuff the media has invented, and has no factual basis, we know you're just parroting what they say without any actual knowledge of your own.

Quote:
It's the same ridiculous approach to discourse that is so prevalent everywhere these days: Don't agree with me? Well, you are:

a) stupid
b) a lemming
c) a shill
d) brainwashed

You know what all of that really means? It means that there is an unwillingness or an inability to have a discussion. It means that one party is so steeped in whatever the topic happens to be that they cannot assimilate any information that does not fit the mold. Instead of addressing the topic, these people resort to bottom-feeder mentality. It's much easier and requires no skill or thought. Sad, sad, sad.
You are apparently swayed by style, not substance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies