Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:07 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

There have been a rash of LE misconduct threads lately, bringing many arguments both critical and supportive of these actions. Personally, I am quite critical of LE, that's no secret, however, I do have a bit of objectivity as well.

Our streets have become a dangerous place. One need not look far to support that statement. Cops are tasked with keeping law and order in this environment, which is, quite often, not exactly just another day at work. This is very apparent in the equipment that modern patrolmen hit the streets with. An average patrolman has a ubiquitous sidearm, pepper spray, Taser, PR 24 or nightstick, some type of edged tool, often, officers wear sap gloves, a shotgun and now a tactical rifle or carbine is standard as well. That's quite an array of force, all on ONE patrolman. The combined manpower of a police/ sheriffs dept is an impressive array of force. If I were patroling certain areas, I would feel better being so equipped, but, this is where the caveat lies, for me.

We don't often hear of LE applying this force on well armed criminals, drug dealers, gangs and such. We have been hearinv about a lot of common citizens catching it full in the teeth.

This has been cause for much controversy and heated argument. Without examining each situation its hard to make specifics here, but anyone who has been here for a spell is familiar with many recent incidents. I have to wonder, is the aray of pain dispensing gear, now so common on a patrolmans belt and in the cruiser actually necessary, or is it exacerbating things? It does appear, that officers are trending toward being very quick to use these implements, in lieu of another form of deescalating confrontational situations. Even just verbal ones. I fully understand tasing or shelacking a physical subject, but is this really a proper way to handle someone who just has a big, foul mouth?

The latter brings up the language that officers are using so commonly now as well. The F bomb, used so often in forceful commands, and even not so forceful ones, taints things for me.

These are just tbe high spots that come to mind. I'm not throwing any labels out there, or trying to insult LEOs. Truly, I welcome commentary from LE regarding this, and wish to proceed with objectivity and an open mind. Something, I admit, I have been shy on in some prior discussions. As a citizen, I am quite concerned with this issue and have been quite distrustful of LE of late. Officers I see, daily, are intimidating people. In look, demeanor and equipage. What, I wonder, is LE becoming?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
One only has to read a newpaper about law enforcement and the nut cases they face everyday holdup. That it does not get the attention of anti-law enforcement on these forums is meaningless.A nation that hears the F word comstantly and gripes about officers using it is really reaching;LOL.Basciallu most support law enforcement and the hell job they have even dealing with public now days.I do.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:28 PM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
End the drug war, the militarization of the police depts, the SWAT teams and any law that doesnt have a victim.
Law enforcement as it stands today attracts the wrong type of personality who is often more dangerous than the supposed perp. The police have killed over 5000 since 9/11 and have physically assaulted many more.
And its not just a few bad apples, because even the supposed good ones sit silent when one does wrong, making them as bad.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:51 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Another thing. Teach your kids that people with integrity don't become cops. Teach them what a vile group of people they are. Raise them to live with respect to mankind and to help, not abuse their fellow neighbors. Maybe if people wised up enough to not go into that vile profession things would change.

But who am I kidding? Bullies gravitate towards the position and always will.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:00 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,345,447 times
Default The state of modern Law Enforcement in the US

There are three hundred million people in the USA, these events are nothing when you think about it but everyone needs someone or something to hate so have at it.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
There are three hundred million people in the USA, these events are nothing when you think about it but everyone needs someone or something to hate so have at it.
There are other Western countries to compare to, to perhaps establish some sort of baseline. The German police, for instance, fired a grand total of 85 bullets at people in all of 2011.

Polizei schoss 2011 seltener im Dienst - SPIEGEL ONLINE

So, taking comparative populations into account, US police would have to fire roughly 350 rounds or so per year, to be in the same ballpark. That sound likely to you? Me neither.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:21 PM

Interesting commentary. However, I really don't want to start a general two camped war here. Rather, I am simply expressing concern at the state of things. Relations between the ploice and public are seriously strained.

Verily, this is counterproductive, and I feel that the image being projected by LE is a huge part of this. I went to buy a firearms publication the other day. Hadn't read any new stuff in quite a while. Not ONE publication on the shelf was sbooting sports oriented. Titles such as " Tactical Weapons For Law Enforcement", Guns and Weapons for Law enforcement, " Tactical Operator" "SWAT Magazine", etc, glared at me from the racks.

Inside these rags were pictures of tattooed, bald headed, steroid stallions firing all manner of evil black weapons, articles about close quarter edged weapon combat, ads for various pain dispensi g gear, just about everything one can imagine out of a Hollywood action flick.

Me, well, I own an AR 15, and get called a "gun fondler" for that. Must be a "gun nut" or some such thing. Hmmm, well folks, take a look at the crazy stuff being marketed to LE. If that doesn't give you pause, I can't imagine why.

Is this rift between the LE and the public REALLY necessary? C'mon! I don't want to be more afraid of cops than I am of criminals. What is the average cops take on this I wonder. From my house, a little reassurance as to who the "good guys really are wouldn't hurt....No judgements, no standoffishness in my intent here. I really want to know where police/public interaction is headed.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:40 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
After the Chris Dorner incident in LA, I imagine there was going to some upheavel in the LAPD, but I have not heard any news.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:30 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times
You should see these state and local law enforcement agencies here in Louisiana.

So powerful. It reminds me of living in the middle east.

Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
You should see these state and local law enforcement agencies here in Louisiana.

So powerful. It reminds me of living in the middle east.
Yes, even our rural departments here are starting to look more and more military style. People are intimidated. In fairness, the look is often deceiving, and you will get a polite and helpful experien e asking for directions and such, and sometimes not. Negative experiences are what people remember...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies