Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 08:49 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Government takes away property rights from renters in order to protect property owners.
How does someone who owns no property have "property rights" which can be taken away?

Acquire property, then you'll have property rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 08:53 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
I thought I had a backup plan with a minor in computer science and thought my position as an undergraduate TA in CS would also help. I worked with mainframes, legacy languages (COBOL, anyone?) and even assembly language. I developed an interactive testing program for ESL students - there were many international students on campus. The emerging PC shifted employer demand to newer skills, and most employers considered my CS minor insufficient in a recessionary environment in which there were apparently enough CS majors to meet demand. Only one on-campus interviewer was willing to consider me, and they say I was beaten out by an applicant who had had a 'related' Work-Study job. So getting screwed out of financial aid by my dysfunctional family also screwed me out of the Work-Study that might have led to en entry-level IT job.
Depending on a minor is silly. Heck, my son earned two minor's just by showing up to all his classes. Being a mom I probably have bandaged more knees, fixed more disease, cleaned up more bodily fluids, etc, to get a minor in "nursing", but I'm no where near qualified to make a career out of it.

While I'm sorry you have a dysfunctional family (we all do in some way).. that sounds like a cop-out. One can work while in college without the work/study designation. Once again, I'll use my son as an example. No work/study designation. But.. while going to college, not only did he earn his bachelors and two minors, he held a outside job and worked in a medical research laboratory on campus to earn experience. He's succeeding, because excuses are not an option.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:58 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
I thought I had a backup plan with a minor in computer science and thought my position as an undergraduate TA in CS would also help. I worked with mainframes, legacy languages (COBOL, anyone?) and even assembly language. I developed an interactive testing program for ESL students - there were many international students on campus. The emerging PC shifted employer demand to newer skills, and most employers considered my CS minor insufficient in a recessionary environment in which there were apparently enough CS majors to meet demand. Only one on-campus interviewer was willing to consider me, and they say I was beaten out by an applicant who had had a 'related' Work-Study job. So getting screwed out of financial aid by my dysfunctional family also screwed me out of the Work-Study that might have led to en entry-level IT job.
That makes no sense whatsoever. College students work private sector internships every year. In fact, that's how many acquire their full-time job offers just prior to graduation. Did you fail to seek out and acquire such internships?

FWIW, my Purdue engineering graduate neighbor had summer internships each summer after 2nd and 3rd year of college. These were PAID internships, no less. Paid a minimum of $25 per hour. That's the equivalent of earning an annual salary of $50,000. For a college student who hadn't yet finished an engineering degree.

Choose your field of study wisely...

Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
How does someone who owns no property have "property rights" which can be taken away?

Acquire property, then you'll have property rights.

Isn't the right to acquire property a property right?

Minimum lot size requirements deprive the poor of the right to purchase, from a willing seller, property in an increment he can afford. Obviously, the property owner's property rights are also curtailed if he is not allowed to sell his property in smaller increments. Or is the right to sell a small piece of property also not a property right?

How would you like it if government said you can't buy milk in volume less than one gallon?

By your reasoning, all you have to do is erect barriers to buying property, and no harm, no foul, since nobody's property rights are affected.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That makes no sense whatsoever. College students work private sector internships every year. In fact, that's how many acquire their full-time job offers just prior to graduation. Did you fail to seek out and acquire such internships?

FWIW, my Purdue engineering graduate neighbor had summer internships each summer after 2nd and 3rd year of college. These were PAID internships, no less. Paid a minimum of $25 per hour. That's the equivalent of earning an annual salary of $50,000. For a college student who hadn't yet finished an engineering degree.

Choose your field of study wisely...

???

Unlike the average UMC student, I had to WORK multiple PAID jobs to pay for school, so an unpaid internship was financially infeasible. I did not find any PAID internships for a CS minor.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Isn't the right to acquire property a property right?

Minimum lot size requirements deprive the poor of the right to purchase, from a willing seller, property in an increment he can afford. Obviously, the property owner's property rights are also curtailed if he is not allowed to sell his property in smaller increments. Or is the right to sell a small piece of property also not a property right?

How would you like it if government said you can't buy milk in volume less than one gallon?

By your reasoning, all you have to do is erect barriers to buying property, and no harm, no foul, since nobody's property rights are affected.
So you have a problem with your local zoning... what are you doing about it? Sounds like you have two options, either move or get involved with your local government. Setting here griping on a message board won't fix the problem. I could sell you a teeny tiny little piece of my land and nothing could stop it. But.. why would I? #1 You could in fact then damage my property value because on that size of land the only thing that could be erected for you to live in is a shed sized structure. and #2. I wouldn't want to listen to excuse after excuse about how life's been unfair to you. It hasn't been fair to any of us. We just don't dwell on it day after day...

Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Government takes away property rights from renters in order to protect property owners.
What are you talking about?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:28 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
My major has an odd name that just reeks of 'lawyer' and 'politics' - most of the people who graduate in my major do, in fact go to law school and some end up in politics at some level. My dorm roommate, who had the same major, has held some high legal positions and is now a judge.

Problem is, graduates who don't go to law school tend to not have a lot of options outside government and politics (e.g. some of the non-lawyers go into things like lobbying and diplomatic areas).
So you spent a lot of money on a worthless degree. And now whine that society is unjust to you.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
So you have a problem with your local zoning... what are you doing about it? Sounds like you have two options, either move or get involved with your local government. Setting here griping on a message board won't fix the problem. I could sell you a teeny tiny little piece of my land and nothing could stop it. But.. why would I? #1 You could in fact then damage my property value because on that size of land the only thing that could be erected for you to live in is a shed sized structure. and #2. I wouldn't want to listen to excuse after excuse about how life's been unfair to you. It hasn't been fair to any of us. We just don't dwell on it day after day...

"My" local zoning is the same local zoning under which almost all Americans live - you have to get out into Unashack territory to escape minimum lot size regulations. NOBODY wants the poor to acquire property in THEIR neighborhood, which is why minimum lot sizes are pretty much ubiquitous.

In that context, there really isn't anything the poor can do about it because the middle class can outvote them every time.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. Tax every dollar. No minimum. All an exemption does is incentivize earning around or below the exemption level. It removes the incentive to work harder/smarter, to improve oneself and one's marketable skills, and disincentivizes one from being a contributing member of society.
Dumb.

"If I make $29,000 I won't owe any tax!!! Yay me!! I'll have $29,000!!!"

"If I make $35,000, I will owe $500 in tax! Now I'll only have $34,500!!! This is an atrocity!!"

Who would stop working because they might owe a little bit on the extra? If someone wants to offer me more money with the caveat that some of that extra will have to go back into the pot, I will still have more money.

I have seen someone say that he would refuse making $5 million over $1 million if the tax rate were any higher for $5 million. I just don't understand this concept.

And 10% of $20,000 has a very different impact on someone than 10% of $100,000 has. I know, I know...work harder!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies