Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 06:30 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,106,836 times

Advertisements

And there is something being overlooked. President Obama might have received his LAW degree from Harvard. However, he got his Bachelor's from Columbia University in NYC. How come no one brings up Columbia University?

Even further, this is another question. What does not knowing the capital of Canada or any other country have to do with being conservative or liberal? What does having a poor assessment of what geography is about have to do with being conservative or liberal? For this who feel that students from Harvard not knowing geography is a result of liberalism, please think about the questions I just asked.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:35 PM

I live in a conservative area in the suburbs(more like exurbs) of Atlanta. I can find many people, who are conservative, who don't know the capital of Canada, or who think the capital of New York is NYC(It's Albany btw). I can find plenty of people who have never even been to college at all who don't know this.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:39 PM

15,084 posts, read 14,251,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Is'nt that what you just did? For some reason you connected Obama's education to students who are still in one of the hardest schools in the country to get to prove a weak political point

Do you know the capital of India? How about something closer to home like the capitals of all 50 states without looking them up? Most Americans cannot do this so how can you expect them to know the capital of another country? For the record, your hero Bush and company invaded a country and did not know who in the hell that they were fighting. ****es or Sunnis?
37% of Americans Can’t Find America on a Map!”
“Stuart Weiss, senior sociology professor at Boston College, said although these findings may be surprising to some, they’re by no means atypical. “The sentiment of many Americans is that there’s little intrinsic value in studying a map of a place you’re already at,” noted Weiss. “It’d be like driving to Graceland and then asking for directions once you’ve arrived. Not much point.”

Shirley Matheson, a part-time Arby’s employee residing in Dayton, Ohio, agreed with Weiss’s assessment. “I live in the U.S.A., so why would I need to know where America is? Or the United States for that matter?” Added Matheson: “As long as there’s still room on that map for all three of those countries, I’m sure everyone will keep getting along just fine.”
37% of Americans Can't Find America on a Map! | Alternative

Old 11-23-2013, 06:40 PM

And to steer this away from politics, and to show that geography is more than just memorizing capitals, please answer this(I know the answer, I just want some people to think about this).

Which nation is poised to pass Nigeria in oil production in Sub-Saharan Africa? Which Sub-Saharan African nation is the USA's 3rd largest trade partner?

What was the largest trade partner for New Orleans before 1959? How did New Orleans lose that trading partner?

Which U.S. city does 1/3 of coffee imports pass through before hitting the shelves? Think about that when you have that morning cup of coffee.

Please think about it. I know the answers. I won't say them. I just want you to think about it, and feel free to answer the questions. Geography is very broad and covers alot.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:42 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,263,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And there is something being overlooked. President Obama might have received his LAW degree from Harvard. However, he got his Bachelor's from Columbia University in NYC. How come no one brings up Columbia University?

Even further, this is another question. What does not knowing the capital of Canada or any other country have to do with being conservative or liberal? What does having a poor assessment of what geography is about have to do with being conservative or liberal? For this who feel that students from Harvard not knowing geography is a result of liberalism, please think about the questions I just asked.
Excellent points

Old 11-23-2013, 06:44 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,263,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
37% of Americans Can’t Find America on a Map!”
“Stuart Weiss, senior sociology professor at Boston College, said although these findings may be surprising to some, they’re by no means atypical. “The sentiment of many Americans is that there’s little intrinsic value in studying a map of a place you’re already at,” noted Weiss. “It’d be like driving to Graceland and then asking for directions once you’ve arrived. Not much point.”

Shirley Matheson, a part-time Arby’s employee residing in Dayton, Ohio, agreed with Weiss’s assessment. “I live in the U.S.A., so why would I need to know where America is? Or the United States for that matter?” Added Matheson: “As long as there’s still room on that map for all three of those countries, I’m sure everyone will keep getting along just fine.”
37% of Americans Can't Find America on a Map! | Alternative

It is a sad state of affair indeed. The intentional dumbing down of America

Old 11-23-2013, 06:57 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,388,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Edited - and so was grammar.

Liberals prove that their only tactic is to deflect.

Would you like to actually address the topic, which is that Harvard students don't seem to know that the capital of Canada is Ottawa?
First of all, an intelligent person recognizes that in any population, you will have a normal distribution of capabilities. That goes for Harvard, too. But there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that the mean of that distribution at Harvard is higher than many other schools. Searching for the low tail end of the distribution, especially among some undergrads, does not negate the mean.

Furthermore, all kinds of people graduate from Harvard. Many of the top board rooms in this nation's corporations are filled with Harvard grads, and they're not at all necessarily "liberal." They're capitalists.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
First of all, an intelligent person recognizes that in any population, you will have a normal distribution of capabilities. That goes for Harvard, too. But there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that the mean of that distribution at Harvard is higher than many other schools. Searching for the low tail end of the distribution, especially among some undergrads, does not negate the mean.

Furthermore, all kinds of people graduate from Harvard. Many of the top board rooms in this nation's corporations are filled with Harvard grads, and they're not at all necessarily "liberal." They're capitalists.
But this is the thing. The sad reality is that there was no interest in considering the distribution of capabilities. There was no interest in seeing things across the board. The whole point was to make this a political agenda. When one has an agenda, one will not consider other things, because that is the idea. Anything could negate that agenda.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Excellent points
I just wanted to set some things straight.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:17 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,888,740 times
Quote:
I just wanted to set some things straight.
So does Harrier

Quote:
And something else. Wasn't it Sarah Palin who thought that Africa was a country?
No.

The New York Times reports it as a hoax and MSNBC retracted their false statements.

It really is both funny and sad how you liberals believe everything that you are spoon fed by MSNBC.

Quote:
An MSNBC spokesman, Jeremy Gaines, explained the network’s misstep by saying someone in the newsroom received the Palin item in an e-mail message from a colleague and assumed it had been checked out. “It had not been vetted,” he said. “It should not have made air.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/ar...hoax.html?_r=0

Quote:
First of all, Africa is not a nation, it is a continent of nations.
That fact is not in question, so why would you make such a statement hinting that it is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies