Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I'm aware of the other drafts, but the one with his signature, and the delivered version contains "under God," and that is the way we memorized it when I was taght it in school as a boy. Today, they probably don't even discuss the Gettysburg Address. After all, some liberals on here think it was the Democrats who freed the slaves!
He read the version that he was ASKED to read. Goodness.

Is there no end to the whining from the right wing? Are you unaware that the original versions of the address did not contain the words 'under God"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:08 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Obama read the version that Ken Burns, the organizer of the event who invited Obama, provided to him.

The 2 versions Lincoln wrote prior to the speech do not contain "under God". 3 versions that Lincoln wrote after the speech, to give to people who requested a copy, did contain this phrase. It is not known if Lincoln actually said those words in the speech.

Why are they in the versions written after the fact? Perhaps Lincoln extemporaneously inserted them in the actual speech, so when he later wrote the copies, he included it.

Or perhaps he realized that many formal speeches added a reference to God to lend gravitas and a sense of devotion, and/or he realized he often was accused of (and criticized for) not being a Christian or religious, so he added them to fit in with the cultural times.

Who knows? And why does it matter? Obama read what was handed him, and I'd hardly expect him to have memorized the version "we all learned." For one thing, I attended primary school in the 1960s and 70s, and secondary in the 70s and 80s, and I never was taught the text of the Gettysburg Address as something to memorize. I sincerely doubt that most Presidents have known more than the first few lines (which is as much as I carry around in my brain).

This topic is JMPF. Just More Poo-Flinging.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:09 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. And hate will destroy someone from within. We see examples of these things in many postings to online forums. Once again, the America-haters have lied about the President's reading of the Address ... knowingly, I suspect.

Consider this:

Quote:

President Obama's recitation of Lincoln's Gettysburg Address is sparking
hysteria from the right-wing media who slammed the president for omitting the
phrase "under God." But ironically, in their hurry to attack the president, they
omitted the fact that Obama was reading the first draft of the speech -- a draft
that did not include "under God" -- at the request of filmmaker Ken Burns.
Source: Right-Wing Noise Machine Fabricates Gettysburg Address Omission To Attack Obama | Blog | Media Matters for America

Old 11-21-2013, 08:45 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I must not remember learning it in school as I havent a clue what the address said. I know it was about slavery that is all I know, and I went to school in the late 70s-80s.
What lincoln did was free those slaves in areas that he did not control.

In other areas, the northern union but slave state of Maryland for example, the emancipation proclamation did not free any slaves.

Problem of today is standing ignorance of why there was a civil war in the first place.

Stupid people, stupid voters who deserve the government they voted for.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:56 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,858,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
He really isn't all that bright.

Fact is he's a pretty stupid man. Oh, he's got the gift of gab and sparkle like a low life Harlem pimp but that's about it.

I think there's something to this.

If he truly were bright, he would have NO problem showing off his college transcripts, to the point of bragging about them. I graduated from college with a 3.85 GPA, and gladly would show my transcripts, much to my wife's dismay.

I would be willing to wager that Obama was not much better than a C-student at Harvard, if that. Take away the teleprompter, and he's a pretty mediocre public speaker as well.

Remember, in EVERY graduating class, there is a bottom 10%. I think that's where our president came from.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:58 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
It's not a particularly good speech. Important speech, but not a particularly good one.

Now hit me with all your venom for saying something politically incorrect.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
In other news, Obama farted last night and blamed it on the dog... which is clearly a sign that he's a Muslim who wants to destroy 'Murika.

You guys really need to get a new hobby, lol.
What they need is to get A. a job & B. an education.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:12 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Do you guys have nothing better to ***** about than the lack of inflection in President Obama's voice during a speech?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I think there's something to this.

If he truly were bright, he would have NO problem showing off his college transcripts, to the point of bragging about them. I graduated from college with a 3.85 GPA, and gladly would show my transcripts, much to my wife's dismay.

I would be willing to wager that Obama was not much better than a C-student at Harvard, if that. Take away the teleprompter, and he's a pretty mediocre public speaker as well.

Remember, in EVERY graduating class, there is a bottom 10%. I think that's where our president came from.
You so smart. I bet you even know what c-u-m laude means.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:26 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The 1st 2 rough drafts of the Gettysburg Address didn't have the phrase "under God" in it. Perhaps he chose one of the rough drafts to read? It is a bit odd to choose a rough draft and not the version actually given by Lincoln.

Obama has done so many horrible things that are legitimately worth complaining about, but I don't think that this is one.
It doesn't matter what was in the rough drafts. Lincoln thought it was important to include it, Barack Obama thought it was important to edit it out. His desire not to offend anyone is ridiculous and inaccurate. The words weren't his to alter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies