Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 03:29 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
So true. Fear is the engine that powers the far right.

Conservatives are not scared of Hillary, but conservatives are an endangered species.
You are aware that Conservatives out number liberals 2 almost 3 to one, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 03:31 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
You are aware that Conservatives out number liberals 2 almost 3 to one, right?
Certainly that explains the last 2 presidential elections …

Old 11-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Actually, I think several of those things are quite popular with American voters.

American voters, by large margins, support higher taxes as opposed to cutting benefits for both Social Security and Medicare.

American voters like the idea of universal healthcare, even if they don't like Obamacare (which isn't Hillary's baby).

58% of American voters support a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

Nearly 9 out of 10 voters, including a majority of NRA members support universal background checks and closing the gun shows loophole.
Have a fun time sell that in this economy, you cant raise taxes s in a recession, nor can you jack up energy cost two to four times their current costs.

Hey its the same party, the same party that ignored the will of the people, that lied about almost every aspect of the law, and they remember countless out scandal and lies.

In a recession you want to add 15,000,000 to 30,000,000 unskilled wage suppressing welfare voters,
Wow I guess the Democratic party is desperate to stack the deck in their favor, and to hell with consequences.

and the biggest lie of all "90% of people support expended background checks"

Do 90 percent of 300 million plus Citizens really support expanded or Universal Background Checks? That would be an astounding number in a Nation that hasn’t been so polarized and divided since the Civil War Era.
Ok so 90 percent of the population supporting the concept is quite a stretch, unbelievable actually, thats 9 out 0f 10 people!

Nine out of ten Americans wouldn’t agree if it was partly sunny or partly cloudy on any given day. In fact, its a flat out lie, as a Gallup Poll on Monday, just 48 hours before debate in the Senate on the Gun Control Package showed that only 4 % of the Public felt that Gun Control as an issue was the “most important issue facing the Country”. The topic ranked as the ninth “most important issue” in the poll, with issues like the Economy, Jobs, the Federal Deficit, Debt, Immigration and the like all ranking higher as important to American voters.

Well, maybe they meant 90 percent of poll respondents then?
And that in fact is significantly more likely to be accurate, but it is totally dependent on the way the poll questions were worded, as a well known and documented concept known as selection bias comes into play, as does sampling size.

Lets look at two differently worded examples of the same question. We will use the Expanded or “Universal Background Checks” issue as the subject for obvious reasons.
Here’s how the question is worded when the poll is paid for by a particular anti rights group or even media outlet that commissions the polling company to produce the results they seek.

1) In order to prevent criminals, terrorists and the mentally deranged from easily obtaining firearms, do you support or oppose Legislation that requires background checks be completed on every person that attempts to acquire a firearm?

Worded that way it should be no surprise, and its not at all newsworthy that the answers would be overwhelmingly in support of such a law, perhaps even the 90 % range of support the President, Anti-Gun Groups and their shills in the media have been claiming.
Because even those that fall squarely on the side of support for Gun Rights, as well as the “fence sitters” and “FUDS” that are really ambivalent about the topic still want to keep bad people from doing bad things.
But lets look at the same question, worded differently, and in such a way that is actually representative of what the defeated Manchin-Toomey Amendment would have made law.

1) In an effort to make it more difficult for criminals, the mentally ill and possibly terrorists from obtaining weapons, do you support or oppose Legislation that would require mandatory background checks for every person attempting to acquire a firearm , even during private sales, trades or transfers amongst people that are well known to each other, such as co-workers, distant relatives, long time neighbors and or friends, even though numerous studies have shown that criminals most often obtain their weapons from black market sales and from theft then any other source ?

Worded that way, chances are better than good that you would see support for such a law plummet. For understandable reasons. Its instinctive to immediately recognize how ridiculous it would be to require that people submit to such a law, particularly when they have long established connections with the prospective purchaser or transferee, especially in light of the fact that criminals already acquire their weapons from sources that “universal background checks” would never apply to anyway.
By the way, the industry jargon for the careful wording of poll questions to get the desired answers to support a pre-ordained, paid for result is known as “push polling”.

That is why polls such as those paid for and marketed (really a self congratulatory circle jerk) by Anti Gun Groups like MAIG (Mayors Against Illegal Guns), a poll that claimed that 2/3rds majority of NRA Members supported Universal Background Checks are so suspect.
Selection Bias.

The NRA doesn’t publish or release the membership information, so how can MAIG be reasonably certain that those polled actually were in fact NRA Members ? They CANT!
Sampling Size.

The MAIG Poll about NRA Member Support for Background Checks was conducted on less then 1,000 people, only half of which claimed they were “current or past NRA members” by their own admission. The NRA has somewhere between 4 and 5 million members. Even if every single one of the 1000 or so people surveyed were provably actual current or former NRA members that affirmed support for expanded background checks, that would mean that MAIG’s poll was relying on the answers of less then 0.0002% of the total membership, then marketing it to the gullible public and the media as representative of “an overwhelming majority”.

Then there’s the polling company who is hired to conduct the poll to consider. In MAIG’s /NRA Poll, that company would be “The Word Doctor” owned by Frank Luntz, a company that has been censured in the past by the (professional group American Association for Public Opinion Research, of which Luntz was not a member, criticized Luntz for refusing to release poll data to support his claimed results “because of client confidentiality”. Diane Colasanto, who was president of the AAPOR at the time, said
“ It is simply wanting to know, How many people did you question? What were the questions? We understand the need for confidentiality, but once a pollster makes results public, the information needs to be public.

People need to be able to evaluate whether it was sound research or their methodology and who openly brag in the advertising of their services on their website that
“Our creative team is made up of expert wordsmiths that know market research as well as they know language. And here is what matters most for you: as a result, you get language that is tailored specifically to shift support towards your issue.”

The 90 percent support for Expanded Background Checks is a myth, nothing more, a creation; like every other one of the talking points and so called “facts” of the Anti Gun left, they are not "facts" but lies.

I also find it sad that you think the 2nd and 4th Amendments are up to popular opinions, popular vote, or the out come of an election.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Now now, you conservative heads exploded when Piers Morgan said something similar about Caribou Barbie.
It was MSNBC and it was Martin Bashir, WOW!

Old 11-21-2013, 03:46 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why do lefties think that we conservatives afraid of hillary?
Because they want us to be. That's all.

I say run her in 2016. I'm TOTALLY in favor of that. The sad thing is, she's the best they have, which isn't saying much.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:48 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,165,843 times
Quote:
LOL funny, yeah because young voters stay young and never grow up and face the real world...they never pay taxes, never want to keep the money they earn, and never want to protect themselves or their property.
Hmm, this applies to me yet I'm still a liberal. I wonder how that can be? You certainly put people in a box without even thinking about what you're saying, don't you?

Old 11-21-2013, 03:48 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I agree. The only fear I have is that the low information voters will finish us off by voting for Hitlary.
My fear is that rabid conservatives are people of such stunted growth and are so immature that they have to make up fake childish names for people. Sort of like fifth graders. Oops--maybe they actually are fifth-graders

Personally who cares what right wingers think of Hillary? But, since they are the ones who always bring up these vacuous and irrelevant questions, I suspect fear and paranoia is probably at the center of their thinking about, well...everything.

Old 11-21-2013, 04:00 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
It was MSNBC and it was Martin Bashir, WOW!
Sorry, I got my brits mixed up, they're all alike to me, wow.

oh, yeah, now I remember, Martin Basher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Hmm, this applies to me yet I'm still a liberal. I wonder how that can be? You certainly put people in a box without even thinking about what you're saying, don't you?
Just remember, we're outnumbered 3:1 !

Old 11-21-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Certainly that explains the last 2 presidential elections …
Hey, when you run a out of touch candidate, who can not covey his message, playing the nice guy when he should be hitting hard of facts and proven record of failure, and having the media be for the other guy cleary is a disadvantage.

That and when you elect a person the base and independence don't support, I mean was it really a surprise?

Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
[i]My [/I]fear is that rabid conservatives are people of such stunted growth and are so immature that they have to make up fake childish names for people. Sort of like fifth graders. Oops--maybe they actually are fifth-graders

Personally who cares what right wingers think of Hillary? But, since they are the ones who always bring up these vacuous and irrelevant questions, I suspect fear and paranoia is probably at the center of their thinking about, well...everything.
Really?

Tea Bagger
Racist
Nazis
Gun Nut
Bomb Thrower
Domestic Terrorist
American Taliban

Yeah we are the name calling fifth grades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies