Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 10:10 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times

Advertisements

Democrats don't actually work. They just steal for a living so none of them can conceive how their hairbrained ideas affect real Americans working for a living.

Nor do they care.

The only answer to all the problems created by the Dems is cut ALL of their money off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 10:10 AM

23,837 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
How many of you have had to fill out a 40 page application for private insurance?
Our sons each had to fill out a 64 page application for an exchange policy.

How is that better, exactly?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have been reading up on the narrow network development recently as it is something that I would have to contend with if I want to save a lot of money on my plan this year. It sounds like narrow networks are something that all of us are going to have to get used to, and that includes providers who don't like the lower reimbursements insurers are offering, as well as employees. If you were around back in the 1980s you will recall that employer plans were forcing us into things like Cigna where you had to go to one of their facilities for all your care. Other insurers put together very, very small groups of providers and employees were stuck with them. Employees did not like that and the restrictive HMOs gradually disappeared. But, it looks like they will be coming back as employers push to hold down health care costs.

My state exchange offerings have both the narrow network and the much broader PPOs. The narrow network policies cost about 25% less than the PPO w/out of network benefits do. For me, who is paying the full cost, that savings amounts to thousands of dollars in a year. I am deciding if it is worth it. The rest of you, and your employers, may be joining me in that sooner than you think.
Another Obamacare created problem.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:18 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Our sons each had to fill out a 64 page application for an exchange policy.

How is that better, exactly?
Ger real. I enrolled on the exchange. Maybe you are talking about small business apps, but the individual process is quick. It takes all of about 15 minutes if that. If you know you make too much for a subsidy it might take 1/3 of that since you don't have to answer qualification questions.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Another Obamacare created problem.
No. If anything, Obamacare delayed the inevitable by holding down the rate of increase in health care costs. I read that the average employee health benefit now costs $15000 at large companies. Even with small increases, that level is unsustainable in a competitive market where every one of your competitors has taxpayer funded health care. You just can't get productivity gains large enough to offset it anymore.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
I am all for the idea of de-coupling insurance from employment. If employers move more employees to exchanges to get insurance, it is a good thing in the long run. We would be better off if people made their own choices about health insurance just like they do homeowners or automobile. However, the exchanges in many states and counties need a whole lot more choice and competition than we see this year. The potential of 100 million customers versus the couple million this year might lead to some of the big companies which stayed away in 2014 jumping in. The problem though is that the ACA presently will not allow employers to reimburse for exchange policies. That could be changed but the Republicans are not interested in improvement, just going back to the good old days of yesteryear with respect to health care. A possible solution might be private exchanges. A few of these popped up in 2013.
"I am all for the idea of de-coupling insurance from employment"

IMO, you are contradicting yourself.

People HAVE the choice to take employee offered health care plans.

If they don't want it they do NOT have to take it.

I thought you wanted people to be able to " if people made their own choices about health insurance."?

What do you find objectionable about an employer offering health care plans?

Old 11-21-2013, 10:25 AM

88,955 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
"As Americans have begun shopping for health plans on the insurance exchanges, they are discovering that insurers are restricting their choice of doctors and hospitals in order to keep costs low, and that many of the plans exclude top-rated hospitals."

Sounds great.....
Oh, come on... You know darn well that kid with a brain tumor didn't really need a pediatric oncologist.

/sarcasm

Old 11-21-2013, 10:28 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Just like moving employees to 401k's. Now that many are close to retirement they have no savings.

Move them to the insurance market and many will not purchase at all.
"Now that many are close to retirement they have no savings." B.S

My plan lost 1/3 of its value after the housing bubble crash and I retired the same year. As of last year I have regained what my value lost and have even gained more.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 AM

23,837 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Ger real. I enrolled on the exchange. Maybe you are talking about small business apps, but the individual process is quick. It takes all of about 15 minutes if that. If you know you make too much for a subsidy it might take 1/3 of that since you don't have to answer qualification questions.
No, it wasn't a small business app. If that were the case, *I* would have been filling it out, not them.

And no, it wasn't quick - it was a 64 page application, and neither of them "make too much for a subsidy."

You don't have to believe me, but you can't ignore the facts.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I am all for the idea of de-coupling insurance from employment"

IMO, you are contradicting yourself.

People HAVE the choice to take employee offered health care plans.

If they don't want it they do NOT have to take it.

I thought you wanted people to be able to " if people made their own choices about health insurance."?

What do you find objectionable about an employer offering health care plans?
Well, it ought to be obvious, but I will give you two things to cruch on:

1. Employees are tethered to their employer. Loss of a job, voluntarily or otherwise can spell financial disaster. I can't begin to tell you all the people I know who would walk away if not for their "benefits".

2. It is increasingly becoming a competitive disadvantage for US employers. One reason that so many move jobs offshore is because in every other civilized country, employers pay a much smaller, often zero, amount for employee health care. That also leaves more on the table for other benefits like more liberal leave plans. And let's not forget retiree health care costs, which are driving companies into bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies