Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Because there is no "Obamacare" product from the exchanges. The post just repeats the false narrative that Obamacare is some weird government insurance like Medicare. All policies are sold by private companies. In my state the policies on the exchange are the same ones found on Blue Cross' site, or Aetna's for individual policies. Repeat: there is no such thing as The Obamacare Plan. The more expensive plans here have bigger networks including places like Mayo Clinic. I am pretty sure even our self-righteous OP would be included in that one.

Insurers do change contracts. The last couple days our news has had stories about a company that dropped coverage with a certain pediatric practice that was of great importance to some people. That insurer's plans are only available through employers, though. So it happens. Of course if it ever happens with an exchange sold policy, there will be the howls from the right about the horrible deception and the incredible hardship of the victims. It's all so predicable with you guys, isn't it? Of course, in this case, the OP did not even bother to back up his claim.
You know exactly what he meant by that.

That's the easiest way to explain it.

Insurance plans provided on the Obamacare exchange.
We all know that and you should too by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:03 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
One minute of Google turned this up on Kaiser Health News -

Many insurance companies participating in the marketplace have created health plans with provider networks based on existing contracts with physicians and hospitals, and did not contact those providers to sign new contracts or ask if they were willing to participate in the new health plans, according to the associations. As a result, many providers do not know which of the health plans offered in the marketplace will pay them for services.

Texas Doctors, Hospitals Don't Know If They're In Or Out Of Obamacare Plans - Kaiser Health News

Interesting stuff

I really wonder why this huge issue has not been covered in the media. The whole house of cards collapses with no providers. I wonder how the Obamacare proponants were going to break this news to patients?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Interesting stuff

I really wonder why this huge issue has not been covered in the media. The whole house of cards collapses with no providers. I wonder how the Obamacare proponants were going to break this news to patients?
There's so much to "uncover" that it just hasn't bubbled up yet.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
I am listed, by name, as a provider for this Obamacare product.

I am a part of a multi-specialty clinic and do not negotiate contracts individually (our business people do that for us).

I have not individually (I am forbidden from doing so in our clinic) nor has our clinic contracted with this provider. Yet, there I am- an Obamacare provider! WTF is going on?
There is no such thing as an Obamacare provider. Either you are in the insurer's network or not.

Does your clinic have a contract with the insurer? When does that contract expire? What has the insurer told your clinic?

It's very common for providers within networks to change year to year. That a provider is listed as in network today does not mean it will be tomorrow. This has nothing to do with the ACA and all to do with the contract between the insurer and provider.

Providers may accept patients from one or more of the insurer's large group plans but not all of the insurer's individual plans. My own MD is listed as BCBS but the practice has never accepted all BCBS plans. This MD does not do appointments. It's all walk in. Before one can add their name to the list, the patients insurance is vetted each and every time. This medical practice has operated like this for a decade.

No insurance? They run the patient's credit card or check or ask for cash upfront before you can see an MD. There is no law that requires the MD to see an uninsured/underinsured patient who cannot pay at the point of service and my MD does not.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 11-22-2013 at 07:20 AM..

Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I buy my insurance individually and my broker sent me a letter tell me to switch off my (soon-to-be-cancelled) Aetna plan (best you can buy) to a BCBS Silver Plan to save money. I was like no way in hell. I'll keep paying "too much" until this gets sorted out (my plan is cancelled some time next year) and I can find an equivalent solution.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There is no such thing as an Obamacare provider. Either you are in the insurer's network or not.

Does your clinic have a contract with the insurer? When does that contract expire? What has the insurer told your clinic?

It's very common for providers within networks to change year to year. That a provider is listed as in network today does not mean it will be tomorrow. This has nothing to do with the ACA and all to do with the contract between the insurer and provider.
Incorrect

This is a product purchased through the exchanges. We previously were providers for her current insurance (A blue cross plan). An "Obamacare provider" is one who is participating and accepting these exchange plans. Of course, there is no product called "Obamacare"!

This current product is one that we do not have a contract with and will not accept, due to low rates. Yet I am listed as a provider for this product, as well as my partners.

What has the insurer told our clinic? Nothing- we have not agreed to this plan or entered negotiations. This is very unusual. I have not seen anything like this in 25 years of practicing medicine. Before one is listed as a provider, one negotiates a contract and "signs up". There are products that have "evergreen clauses" in which you are automatically enrolled as a provider, year after year, unless you "opt out". Usually this requires a 90 day notice.

This product is a brand new plan from the exchanges. I wonder how many of these exchange products are pulling the same thing around the country?

Old 11-22-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Go google this..the stories are starting to bubble up as the process proceeds from the website to the doctors.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,239 times
Quote:
Incorrect

This is a product purchased through the exchanges. We previously were providers for her current insurance (A blue cross plan). An "Obamacare provider" is one who is participating and accepting these exchange plans. Of course, there is no product called "Obamacare"!

This current product is one that we do not have a contract with and will not accept, due to low rates. Yet I am listed as a provider for this product, as well as my partners.

What has the insurer told our clinic? Nothing- we have not agreed to this plan or entered negotiations. This is very unusual. I have not seen anything like this in 25 years of practicing medicine. Before one is listed as a provider, one negotiates a contract and "signs up". There are products that have "evergreen clauses" in which you are automatically enrolled as a provider, year after year, unless you "opt out". Usually this requires a 90 day notice.

This product is a brand new plan from the exchanges. I wonder how many of these exchange products are pulling the same thing around the country?

This is the old RCA or BMC record club. They automatically sign you up if you don't tell them "no".

Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 AM

Another tidbit emerging is the 90 day grace period.
They cannot drop you for 90 days if you don't make premium payments.
But you can still get your medical services.
And after that 90 days the insurer is off the hook as well and the debt is left to the doctors/hospitals.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
This is the old RCA or BMC record club. They automatically sign you up if you don't tell them "no".
OMG..remember that ?
Send in a dime and get 8 records..what a great deal..until the next month rolls around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies