Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 04:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nope..Liz Fowler was brought on board to write the framework.
Baucus thanked her publicly after the bill passed.

She came from Wellpoint and is now the head lobbyist for Johnson & Johnson.
Its based on the GOP proposal from the 1990s. I have attached the writing of that proposal here many times and it includes all the ACA main points complete with individual and employee mandates. I won't attach it here because it is off topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 06:03 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Here ya go..1964 Democratic Party platform.
If you read it without knowing what it was you'd swear it was today's Republican platform

Here's some tidbits of what the Democrats were promoting back then:

Democratic Party Platforms: Democratic Party Platform of 1964
Democracy in America rests on the confidence that people can be trusted with freedom. It comes from the connection that we will find in freedom a unity of purpose stronger than all our differences.

True democracy of opportunity will not be served by establishing quotas based on the same false distinctions we seek to erase, nor can the effects of prejudice be neutralized by the expedient of preferential practices.

The American free enterprise system is one of the great achievements of the human mind and spirit. It has developed by a combination of the energetic efforts of working men and women, bold private initiative, the profit motive and wise public policy, until it is now the productive marvel of mankind.

Every penny of Federal spending must be accounted for in terms of the strictest economy, efficiency and integrity. We pledge to continue a frugal government, getting a dollar's value for a dollar spent, and a government worthy of the citizen's confidence.

Every person who participates in the government must be held to a standard of ethics which permits no compromise with the principles of absolute honesty and the maintenance of undivided loyalty to the public interest.

By today's standards, a platform like that would be labelled Teabagger nutjob policy.
We've fallen so far.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Romney is a lot closer to being JFK than Obama will ever be!

Sure, and Chinese president Xi Jinping is a lot closer to being JFK than Mao Tse Tung was. He still runs a communist regime though, so what's your point?

Old 11-23-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Wrong, as usual. Have you forgotten that JFK's brother and his daughter endorsed Obama for President.....
Are JFK's brother and daughter JFK?

Old 11-23-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
The most interesting question is why do right-wingers always seek to glorify JFK? It started back in the early nineties when Rush Limbaugh put forward this premise and the useful idiots snatched it up.

I had no idea left-wingers listened to Limbaugh, much less snatched anything up from him.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:25 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Sure, and Chinese president Xi Jinping is a lot closer to being JFK than Mao Tse Tung was. He still runs a communist regime though, so what's your point?
If you don't agree with my post, then you don't know much about Obama!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
If you don't agree with my post, then you don't know much about Obama!

I know about Obama and about Romney. One is like birdsh*t and the other is like dogsh*t. What a great choice.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
By today's standards, a platform like that would be labelled Teabagger nutjob policy.
We've fallen so far.
I agree... some "teabaggers" do have a nutjob policy. (According to the individual.)

However, I don't find the TEA Party nutty (which is an entirely different subject) in the least. I don't see anything "nutty" about asking the government to not overspend and to respect the Constitution.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I agree... some "teabaggers" do have a nutjob policy. (According to the individual.)

However, I don't find the TEA Party nutty (which is an entirely different subject) in the least. I don't see anything "nutty" about asking the government to not overspend and to respect the Constitution.

You're off on a tangent. You don't seem to discern I was agreeing with Kennedy and stating that liberals and the mainstream media today would excoriate such policy as extremist.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I know about Obama and about Romney. One is like birdsh*t and the other is like dogsh*t. What a great choice.
I think many voters are finally realizing that we would have been far better off with Romney.

Romney wasn't the ideal choice for the Republican nominee, but certainly better than the current (and becoming more and more unpopular and untrustworthy) president.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies