Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 05:30 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Even the worse sorts of sex offender do not have their chances of reforming improved by laws that make it nearly impossible to find employment and housing.
Sex offenders do not reform. At best, they will surpress their likelihood to act based upon the consequences of being caught. To have any type of compassion for the situation that they have put themselves into by their own free choice is misguided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Probably the most church going, drug free, bunch of folks you have ever seen. Nothing holier than reformed child molesters, they can quote bible passages.
And I like going to Disney World and can quote Mother Goose. Neither their ability nor mine (in the areas cited) have any basis in reality or real-world application, despite bringing some level of personal satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 06:55 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Sex offenders do not reform. At best, they will surpress their likelihood to act based upon the consequences of being caught. To have any type of compassion for the situation that they have put themselves into by their own free choice is misguided.

And I like going to Disney World and can quote Mother Goose. Neither their ability nor mine (in the areas cited) have any basis in reality or real-world application, despite bringing some level of personal satisfaction.
It depends on the person, Workin_Hard (maybe you should start Thinkin_Hard, too?) Not everyone is the same, and you can't lump everyone into neat little boxes to make yourself feel better. A one time incident can be forgiven, but two times this is a problem. I know you have a Communist sense of justice (quite ironic, given your political leaning, you loony lib in denial) of just putting them in the oven at the first accusation, but we have a justice system for a reason

Old 11-26-2013, 08:20 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Sex offenders do not reform.
That's an untrue statement and, considering how many times it's been demolished, a boring one as well.

Quote:
At best, they will surpress their likelihood to act based upon the consequences of being caught.
Actions are all the law has a right to be concerned about.

Quote:
To have any type of compassion for the situation that they have put themselves into by their own free choice is misguided.
I don't answer to anyone for my compassion or its beneficiaries.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Florida's idiotic "Tough on crime" politicians have helped create this environment.

What happens is that a 19 year old boy sleeps with a 16 year old girl and he not only is a registered sex offender for at least 10 years, but he also has to pay the police to put a sign up in front of his house that says he is a sex offender.
And Florida is probably not the only state with such stupid ass laws.

People just don't get it....those laws were intended for serious offenders, not teens having sex with each other.
Quote:
As it should be although I consider 10 years to be a slap on the wrist.

And even better would be the elimination of the entire population of RSOs.

Actions have consequences.
Totally emblematic of why we have the problems that we do.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,230 times
Quote:
As it should be although I consider 10 years to be a slap on the wrist.

And even better would be the elimination of the entire population of RSOs.

Actions have consequences.
I wish people would educate themselves rather than just react emotionally.

In my neck of the woods, if you break into a home, find a child inside (with or without parents), lock the child (with or without the parents) into a bathroom without ever touching him/her, you are automatically a sex offender.

I don't know about you, but to me, a person breaking into a house is a burglar, not a child molester.

Also, in my neck of the woods: If a father has custody issues with his former wife and decides to keep his visiting daughter longer than allotted by the court, the father will, under certain circumstances, be considered a sex offender.

The basis for both is the idea that a person withholds free movement from a minor. Withholding, no matter what, is interpreted to involve physical touch. That alone, can be enough to make somebody a sex offender here.

Sex Offender laws can be really, really dumb and go beyond any intended purpose.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I wish people would educate themselves rather than just react emotionally.

In my neck of the woods, if you break into a home, find a child inside (with or without parents), lock the child (with or without the parents) into a bathroom without ever touching him/her, you are automatically a sex offender.

I don't know about you, but to me, a person breaking into a house is a burglar, not a child molester.

Also, in my neck of the woods: If a father has custody issues with his former wife and decides to keep his visiting daughter longer than allotted by the court, the father will, under certain circumstances, be considered a sex offender.

The basis for both is the idea that a person withholds free movement from a minor. Withholding, no matter what, is interpreted to involve physical touch. That alone, can be enough to make somebody a sex offender here.

Sex Offender laws can be really, really dumb and go beyond any intended purpose.
Thanks for your intelligent post.

It's refreshing to hear a reasonable and informed opinion instead of the usual emotional outbursts.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:24 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I don't really get this whole new class of "super dangerous" folks that has got everyone so hysterical. My feeling is they do the time....then probation, after that they are treated like humans. Some 30 year old guy has a 15 year old GF.....so what......but I guess he is some sort of supercriminal now.

Ok, if someone forcibly rapes a little kid....sentence them to a LOT of prison time. But really, so many violent nuts out there.....they would gouge your eyes out with a spoon given half a chance.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:49 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times
Well, they have to have some place to live and since the registry is far too broad and then Floriduh has to have so many residency restrictions... what do people expect seriously?
It's time people stop acting like a bunch of sacred little sheep

Old 11-28-2013, 04:43 AM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Thanks for your intelligent post.

It's refreshing to hear a reasonable and informed opinion instead of the usual emotional outbursts.
A true sex offender or predator should burn in hell and I will go so far as to advocate laws so sexual predator never be let out of jail.

But......

Change the law to require s 5 year age gap between the offender and "child". Boys that just turned 18 three days ago who happened to get to third base, with his high school girlfriend who will turn 16 in three days, does not a sexual predator pervert make. But, what is sad and true, in some states it certainly does.

A 20 year old college sophomore who gets drunk for the first time and whips it out to pee on the sidewalk with 3 girls watching does not a sexual pervert make. Stupid yes, dumb yes, worthy of a $10,000 fine so he never does it again but he is still not a sex offender that should have his life wrecked.

Unjust and ineffective

Quote:
ONE day in 1996 the lights went off in a classroom in Georgia so that the students could watch a video. Wendy Whitaker, a 17-year-old pupil at the time, was sitting near the back. The boy next to her suggested that, since it was dark, she could perform oral sex on him without anyone noticing. She obliged. And that single teenage fumble wrecked her life.

Her classmate was three weeks shy of his 16th birthday.
That made Ms Whitaker a criminal. She was arrested and charged with sodomy, which in Georgia can refer to oral sex.

snip
Less than 2 years age difference.

Stupid girl? Certainly was stupid but because of that one stupid act she would be better off if someone had executed her.

This is how stupid these laws can get

Quote:
Every American state keeps a register of sex offenders. California has had one since 1947, but most states started theirs in the 1990s. Many people assume that anyone listed on a sex-offender registry must be a rapist or a child molester. But most states spread the net much more widely. A report by Sarah Tofte of Human Rights Watch, a pressure group, found that at least five states required men to register if they were caught visiting prostitutes. At least 13 required it for urinating in public (in two of which, only if a child was present). No fewer than 29 states required registration for teenagers who had consensual sex with another teenager. And 32 states registered flashers and streakers.
You think the drunk guy streaking across the college football field was funny? Shouldn't have laughed because you just witnessed someone committing suicide.

If you're sitting there clucking your tongue someone you love could very much be at risk with one of these draconian offender laws. They are stupid laws written by stupid people that destroy to many innocent lives. I look back 45 years ago and when younger we all had our stupid moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Comes to mind:

50 sex offenders actually live there, the others live somewhere else and have failed to report their current address.

Also, as a group, these people are not well-employed and probably have multiple roommates.
Not well employed? With 99% certainty they are not employed at all. Would you hire someone whose name popped up first on a sexual offender registry? Do you know anyone that would? I didn't think so.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:22 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
This is one of the reasons I have never been a full supporter of these harsh post-sentence restrictions on sex offenders. I understand that their rehabilitation rate is low and I wouldn't want my family living next to a bunch of them. At the same time, many of these "sex offenders" are not the type that the psychologists study. As pointed out by others, a sex offender could be that 21 year old teacher who has sex with a 17 year old student - not my example of a monster. Also, making all of these dumb laws to prohibit sex offenders from living and going anywhere creates sex offender communes. I read a while back that sex offenders were grouping together and living out in the woods in Georgia because laws prohibited them from living in towns or cities. Is a group of united sex offenders running around the woods really better than a few living here and there spread out in the community? I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies