U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:36 AM

14,888 posts, read 9,425,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Still ignoring the enormous amounts of money people would no longer have to deduct from their paycheck to cover health insurance, I see.

Care to address this little oversight of yours, or will you continue to post this half-argument over and over on multiple threads?
Where do you think all of this magic money would come from if not from our paychecks?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

86,052 posts, read 80,778,832 times
Quote:
Still ignoring the enormous amounts of money people would no longer have to deduct from their paycheck to cover health insurance, I see.

Care to address this little oversight of yours, or will you continue to post this half-argument over and over on multiple threads?
Sounds like you haven't had employer group insurance.
Not enormous at all. Subsidized in fact.
And that's what outraged those that didn't have the same benefits.

I had $100/month deducted. Employer paid the rest.
Big company, good plan.

Now YOU can foot the entire bill. Oh wait..the left will MANDATE that companies pay their fair share.

37,133 posts, read 47,365,772 times
I think regional non-profits is a better approach, but either way tax-funded universal health care is long overdue and the failure of Obamacare, which was authored by insurance and medical profiteers, may be the impetus we need to get us there.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
A good argument for raising the minimum wage, which is long, long overdue. Workers would be in effect paying for their own healthcare, which would be cheaper than paying for private insurance.
ROFL..raise the min wage so that workers can pay more to the government ?
did you really just propose that ?

Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM

26,223 posts, read 18,286,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think regional non-profits is a better approach, but either way tax-funded universal health care is long overdue and the failure of Obamacare, which was authored by insurance and medical profiteers, may be the impetus we need to get us there.
Another penetrating and insightful post Ponderosa, I could not agree more.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:42 AM

20,893 posts, read 15,431,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How do you propose this be paid for other than bumping FICA up to 15-20% on the employee side ?
A single payer system would, out of the gate, be between 16% and 25% less expensive than our current system. That amounts to a savings of no less than $420 billion dollars a year.

That is how you pay for it.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:43 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,077,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sounds like you haven't had employer group insurance.
Not enormous at all. Subsidized in fact.
And that's what outraged those that didn't have the same benefits.

I had $100/month deducted. Employer paid the rest.
Big company, good plan.

Now YOU can foot the entire bill. Oh wait..the left will MANDATE that companies pay their fair share.
Lucky you. I work for a small business … you know, the kind that cons say employ more people than anyone else.

I would love to get back that $563.52 every month, AND have no deductibles.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:43 AM

37,133 posts, read 47,365,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Where do you think all of this magic money would come from if not from our paychecks?
50/50 all employers, all sizes, gov and private, profit and non-profit - no exceptions. About 8% of gross each. That won't cover all the deadbeats though so we need a value added tax to supplement that and to make sure that everyone pays something and no one rides completely free. In the end, it's going to cost as much as 1/6 of the entire GDP so it is not going to come cheaply. Of course we spend that now, much of it borrowed though, but it is inefficient and leaves too many short or out.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:48 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,337,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
A single payer system would, out of the gate, be between 16% and 25% less expensive than our current system.
Could be true, using the procedures I outlined in the OP:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn
Single Payer is the complete government takeover of the medical industry. It starts by their becoming the ONLY source of payments for medical procedures. Once people are used to them being in charge of that, they will start tightening the screws on hospital payments, doctors' salaries, pharmaceutical research, medical device research, everything that costs money.

At the same time, they will start to favor less expensive procedures over more expensive ones. And in time, this will happen even for expensive procedures that are more safe than less expensive ones.

And eventually, they will start making decisions based on the idea that hugely expensive procedures that will extend a person's life by only a few months, might not be a good idea when that huge amount of money could have bbeen spent on many other patients for procedures that would extend their lives by much longer periods. The people making these decisions will get, and eventually deserve, the title of "Death Panels".

As Government Single Payer continues to lose money, they will gradually choke off research, then services, then care etc., until everything is being done by high school dropout level personnel, with payments to match, and appointments will take a month or three to get.
....since our current system is horribly bloated by govt-mandated paperwork and unnecessary CYA procedures.

Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Lucky you. I work for a small business … you know, the kind that cons say employ more people than anyone else.

I would love to get back that $563.52 every month, AND have no deductibles.
I worked for a big multinational.
When I started back in the 80's the cost of insurance was 100% employer covered.
I only paid extra for maternity coverage. It was your typical BCBS 80/20.
It was mid to late 90's when they started deducting premiums but the employer still heavily subsidized it.

I chose to look for employment with a big corporation because of those types of benefits.
I was lucky and still am and I know that.
Current new employees to this same company don't have it as good and are paying pretty big monthly premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies