U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 AM

21,434 posts, read 21,758,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
50/50 all employers, all sizes, gov and private, profit and non-profit - no exceptions. About 8% of gross each.
Do you have any idea how many businesses you'd shut down?

ANY idea?

Obviously, you don't.

I have to say, that idea of yours above might just be the worst I've seen in all the healthcare discussions I've read on this board, and that's saying something. The fallout from that would make Obamacare look like it went off without a hitch.

Best of luck with your plan... NOT.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 11:16 AM

3,586 posts, read 6,550,265 times
Single payer works.

People just have to realize with the exception of the bottom 10%, everyone much contribute.

You will have to sacrifice access and wait times for many elective procedures. But that's the cost of going single payer.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,337,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Single payer works.
Too bad your wishful thinking doesn't.

Quote:
You will have to sacrifice access and wait times for many elective procedures.
And eventually for many non-elective procedures, as I outlined in the OP.

Quote:
But that's the cost of going single payer.
And a good reason for NOT going single-payer (i.e. complete government takeover).

Old 11-22-2013, 11:22 AM

26,223 posts, read 18,286,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
How many countries with single payer systems look at the U.S. with envy?
Zero?

Old 11-22-2013, 11:28 AM

26,223 posts, read 18,286,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

And a good reason for NOT going single-payer (i.e. complete government takeover).
The "wishful thinking" is yours, where you secretly wish for single payer to fail so we can all remain hostage to private insurance companies. It is much more apparent that the people you vote for, Republicans, are heavily invested in the failure of reforming a broken industry that is responsible for more than 60% of all bankruptcies in this country. I've not heard of people dying in England waiting for surgery, but those stories are numerous here, due to lack of coverage. You have your scenarios bass ackwards

Wherever there is big money involved (defense, fossil fuels, healthcare) you can rest assured that the Republican Party will push back hard against any attempts at reform. They have sold out decades ago to special interests, who tell them exactly what to do.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:34 AM

3,586 posts, read 6,550,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

You have to get a lot of compromises to make it work.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 80,778,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Single payer works.

People just have to realize with the exception of the bottom 10%, everyone much contribute.

You will have to sacrifice access and wait times for many elective procedures. But that's the cost of going single payer.
Well then that's not everyone is it ?
And European countries don't do that...5-8% out of every paycheck just for health insurance.
There's also more taken out for their equivalent for SS.

Austria payroll taxes are up near 22-23% to fund the social programs.
All working people contribute.

That is the real cost of going single payer that is happening today in European countries.
And they are having problems with finances over this..costs are going up more than tax revenue is coming in.

Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,551,689 times
Only a fool would think putting our healthcare in the hands of the government, an entity that thrives on bureaucracy and inefficiency, is a good idea.

Old 11-22-2013, 01:14 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,077,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Only a fool would think putting our healthcare in the hands of the government, an entity that thrives on bureaucracy and inefficiency, is a good idea.
Of course, only a ghoul would think that putting our healthcare in the hands of for-profit companies, entities which thrive on the pain and suffering of human beings, is a good idea.

FIFY

Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,239,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The "wishful thinking" is yours, where you secretly wish for single payer to fail so we can all remain hostage to private insurance companies. It is much more apparent that the people you vote for, Republicans, are heavily invested in the failure of reforming a broken industry that is responsible for more than 60% of all bankruptcies in this country. I've not heard of people dying in England waiting for surgery, but those stories are numerous here, due to lack of coverage. You have your scenarios bass ackwards
Whether you are hostage to a private insurance company or hostage to a government bureaucracy is no different. The difference is with private insurance you get choice. With single payer, you don't. Remember "my body, my choice"?
Quote:
Wherever there is big money involved (defense, fossil fuels, healthcare) you can rest assured that the Republican Party will push back hard against any attempts at reform. They have sold out decades ago to special interests, who tell them exactly what to do.
While the Democrats never push back hard against any attempts to reform labor unions, right? Don't look now, but your hypocrisy is showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies