Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 02:49 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times

Advertisements

It sounds like some of you haven't actually read the article. Feel free to weigh in, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 03:22 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,741,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It sounds like some of you haven't actually read the article. Feel free to weigh in, however.

Sounds like someone is talking about laws, rules, and concepts they know nothing about.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:44 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,059 times
Having done domestic violence law for some time I am pretty surprised how many seeming experts there are here that really have no clue. The fact is domestic violence laws vary by state to a huge extent so the idea that folks are saying watching football, a loud argument a phone call, or having someone say something or whatever can constitute domestic violence universally is probably one of the most absurd things I have read.

While I cannot say I know how it works in every state I would be pretty surprised to hear of anywhere where there is no due process for domestic violence offenses absent possibly a very short TRO in anticipation of a hearing. Furthermore at that hearing whatever was needed would have to be proven, and in a criminal proceeding beyond a reasonable doubt. Considering my experience, and what I know about criminal and civil proceedings I seriously doubt a lot of what has been said about what is needed for a protective order or a criminal domestic violence, or domestic violence related conviction.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:14 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
They didn't read it because their mommy wasn't there to help them with the big words. They just post.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:20 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Sounds like someone is talking about laws, rules, and concepts they know nothing about.
If you had read the article, you would know that violence was the test in this case. Since you know the law so well, you would know that it involved physical contact. If you knew anything about rules, you would understand that physical violence cannot be tolerated in a civilized society, and if you understood concepts, you would understand that physical violence is caused by mental instability which makes the perp a perfect candidate not to own a gun, now or ever, until such time as it can be proven that they are not considered a threat to anyone.

Personally, I would lock him away for ten years or so and stick him in Gen Pop with a jumpsuit embroidered with his crime. My guess is that his fellow inmates would have an appropriate party for him.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:24 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
If I want to shoot and kill my spouse, how is this law going to help ?

Criminals don't obey the law.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:27 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Guns and domestic violence are a lethal combination - injuring and killing women every day in the

United States. A gun is the weapon most commonly used in domestic homicides. In fact, more than

three times as many women are murdered by guns used by their husbands or intimate acquaintances

than are killed by strangers’ guns, knives or other weapons combined.
Contrary to many public

perceptions, many women who are murdered are killed not by strangers but by men they know.

•
Nearly one-third of all women murdered in the United States in recent years were murdered by

a current or former intimate partner. In 2000, 1,247 women, more than three a day, were killed

by their intimate partners.

•
Of females killed with a firearm, almost two-thirds of were killed by their intimate partners.

•
Access to firearms increases the risk of intimate partner homicide more than five times more

than in instances where there are no weapons, according to a recent study. In addition, abusers

who possess guns tend to inflict the most severe abuse on their partners.

•
In 2002, 54 percent of female homicide victims were shot and killed with a gun.

•
Handguns are more likely than rifles or shotguns to be used in homicides in which men kill

women. In 2002, handguns were used in 73 percent of cases where men used firearms to kill

women.

•
In homicides where males use firearms to kill women, handguns are the most commonly used

weapon, over rifles and shotguns. Seventy-three percent of all female were killed with a

handgun

•
In 1998, for every one woman who used a handgun to kill an intimate acquaintance in selfdefense,

83 women were murdered by an intimate acquaintance using a handgun.

•
A study of women physically abused by current or former intimate partners found a five-fold

increased risk of the partner murdering the woman when the partner owned a gun.

•
Domestic violence misdemeanor convictions and restraining orders were the second most

common reason for denials of handgun purchase applications between 1994 and 1998.

From 1998 to 2001, more than 2,800 people with misdemeanor domestic violence convictions

were able to purchase guns without being identified by the National Instant Criminal

Background Check System.

http://www.futureswithoutviolence.or...ilies/Guns.pdf

Conservatives are going to howl about this law. "See? It's started. They're taking away our precious, precious guns!"
What's a few dead women, after all?
Whatever the worth of a few dead women to conservatives, it's obviously more than the worth of a few dead men to liberals. I mean the quoted article refers only to women, despite men comprising up to 40% of domestic violence cases.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:44 PM

4,156 posts, read 4,175,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
...has been upheld by a federal appeals court. Sounds like a step in the right direction to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

Gun ban law for domestic violence offenders upheld - SFGate
Criminal does not care about the law.

Why do we have law? To keep honest people stay honest.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:56 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If I want to shoot and kill my spouse, how is this law going to help ?

Criminals don't obey the law.

Biden will tell you to get a knife

Old 11-23-2013, 09:10 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
And if they were stabbed, straggled or poisoned you would feel better?

So mealy being in a argument means a American should lose his or her rights?

We have been using our tools to (i.e. things that bash, cut, poke or smash) solve personal problems ever since we stood up on two legs and and picked up a rock and quit being animals. Soime of these problems include conflict with family members, children, wives and close associates. One would have hoped that man would develope the wisdom to put down the arms and listen to the better angels of our nature rather than give in to the our animal side. Resort to deadly violence whether it is with the latest 30 round machine pistol or with a a simple brick or peice of wood is a reversion to behavior that should have been consigned to our past centuries if not millenia ago. We as Americans need to consider whether this fundamental right to maim kill or cripple to eliminate personal or behavior problem with what ever latest arm needs to be tossed in the dustbin of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies