Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 06:27 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,366,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Amen! And it has long needed to be brought under control. It has been used by both parties to paralyze the law-making process over and over again. Finally a mad-dog parliamentary device with a necessary choke chain put on it.

Government by paralysis has been destroying this country, and we need more ways of lighting a fire under the butts of self-serving politicos who use Congress to grandstand for the hometown crowd, while the American ship goes under.
Sieg Heil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 06:29 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Politicians are like darwin's finches. They evolve to be efficient in their environment. Harry, et al has learned to sing a song that gets him elected. The notes, frequency and amplitude of the sounds coming from his mouth are sweet enough to attract voters who embrace him.

Check your lifetime list of birds to include Harry and the great hideous vulture Barackus Obamus. He specializes in very intricate songs, so complex, none of the experts can decipher what the sounds mean.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Harry Reid is the poster boy -- along with dozens of others -- as to why there needs to be term limits AND age limits in politics.

He turns 74 in less than two weeks, and as such, is TOO OLD to effectively do his job as an elected member of the United States government.
Judging by the howling from the right, he seems pretty effective to me.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:06 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
You do realize that there's more to life than your little "D" world, right?

Posts like yours make me realize that our political system will never operate with any kind of efficiency..

Old 11-24-2013, 07:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
It's a rule created by the Senate, and which has been abused by the minority, so it was revoked by the Senate. Let's see how fast the GOP will be to reinstate it if they regain the upper chamber. My guess is we'll never see it put back in place by either party.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Which means the Democrats will regret this action. I hope they do.

On the other hand, Republicans have always been fair minded (often to the degree of shooting themselves in the foot). I suspect that they will re-establish it. It would be the right thing to do.
yep, lets see how long it takes the democrats to demand that the rule be reinstated when the republicans take power in the senate again, and start to block some of obamas radical nominees. personally i hope the republicans tell the democrats to get bent and leave the rule alone just to remind the democrats to be careful what you wish for as you may just get it.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
You do realize that there's more to life than your little "D" world, right?

Posts like yours make me realize that our political system will never operate with any kind of efficiency..
No kidding! The conservative side of the argument always seems articulate and concise, and then the left chimes in with something akin to neener! neener! Nothing productive gets done.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:04 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep, lets see how long it takes the democrats to demand that the rule be reinstated when the republicans take power in the senate again, and start to block some of obamas radical nominees. personally i hope the republicans tell the democrats to get bent and leave the rule alone just to remind the democrats to be careful what you wish for as you may just get it.
The Republicans will not reinstate it if they regain the majority, and no one, least of all the Democrats, expects them to. The minority should not be able to rule in the Senate, which is exactly what the abuse of the filibuster had fostered. It was time for it to go.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
The Republicans will not reinstate it if they regain the majority, and no one, least of all the Democrats, expects them to. The minority should not be able to rule in the Senate, which is exactly what the abuse of the filibuster had fostered. It was time for it to go.
read dirty harrys OWN words just before he took over the senate majority role again. and dont forget that both sides have abused the filibuster, but to get rid of it because it has been abused is rubbish. and even reid told us why.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
"Judging by the howling from the left, the TEA Party seems pretty effective to me."

How many YEARS have you guys tried to claim that the TEA Party was irrelevant, meaningless, useless, etc.?

Well, since you guys (including you directly, in this very thread) can't stop screeching about us at the top of your lungs at every opportunity, even when the discussion has nothing to do with us (i.e. this thread), then we must be VERY effective. Thanks for the compliment, and I'll make sure to keep working hard - it's obviously paying off.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Effective at what?
Massive debt? Yes we have that.
No budget? Yes he has achieved that.
Uses the Senate floor to spew lies? Oh he is very good at that.
What exactly is Reid good at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies