Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going shopping on Thanksgiving Day?
Yes, I support it and will be shopping. 9 9.38%
Yes, I support it but will not be shopping. 15 15.63%
No, I don't support it but might shop anyway. 1 1.04%
No, I don't supprt it and will not go shopping. 71 73.96%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:15 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have to work on Thanksgiving: police, firefighters, hospital staff, hotel and restaurant workers, gas station employees. Companies have an absolute right to stay open on the day. Personally I don't see a retail store being an essential service that causes people to sacrifice a family holiday. What next? Banks and offices open on Thanksgiving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 04:18 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
A lot of people have to work on Thanksgiving: police, firefighters, hospital staff, hotel and restaurant workers, gas station employees. Companies have an absolute right to stay open on the day. Personally I don't see a retail store being an essential service that causes people to sacrifice a family holiday. What next? Banks and offices open on Thanksgiving?
I don't know about Philadelphia but you should hear the people around here ***** about banks and the Post Office not being open on holidays. And these are Federal workers who have every damn one off.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:23 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,326,934 times
Quote:
The thing that some of my friends find disturbing is that the employees of these retail businesses may have to leave their families mid meal in order to have to work on Thanksgiving Day.
Boohoo? There are LOTS of employees in many different sectors of the economy who have to work on holidays. Medical professionals, for one. I bet lots of unemployed folks would rather have to "leave their families mid meal in order to have to work on Thanksgiving Day" if it means having money to put food on the table and buy gifts for their families.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:25 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
What's nice though, about freedom, is you get to decide what it means to you. The Walton family can decide what it means for them.

my sister works at Walmart. Her first real job. She is doing 6 hours on thanksgiving starting at 3, then gets 4 hours off before coming in for another 8 hour shift.

She is not complaining, she is looking forward to a nice pay day.

I worked on holidays, on cell sites.

Freedom, embrace it for all, or admit you just want everyone to think like you. Your call

Old 11-24-2013, 07:44 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
People in the airline industry are not off either. My husband has never had thanksgiving off. Somebody still needs to make sure all you people flying home make it to your destination in one piece.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What's nice though, about freedom, is you get to decide what it means to you. The Walton family can decide what it means for them.

my sister works at Walmart. Her first real job. She is doing 6 hours on thanksgiving starting at 3, then gets 4 hours off before coming in for another 8 hour shift.

Freedom, embrace it for all, or admit you just want everyone to think like you. Your call

The best part about working on Thanksgiving is that you can just go straight home and eat because the rest of your family already cooked.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Between eating and hunting, who has time to shop?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:00 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

Good point, well made.

We are hosting the big family bash per usual, but that would not be possible without the people at the supermarket deli preparing all the food--due to health limitations. Between the employees who want the extra holiday pay and those who do not have big plans anyway and the not-insignificant fraction of people who do not enjoy "the holidays" for their own personal reasons, I doubt it is a problem for many people at all.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:23 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
The almighty dollar, greed and wanton waste (The American Dream) - Thanksgiving and Christmas have become too commercial.

I will not shop early, on the day of or the day after.

Old 11-26-2013, 03:39 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
I didn't vote because I may well do some shopping but I won't "go" anywhere other than my couch to do it.

Lots of good points have already been made about people who have always traditionally worked on this and other holidays as well about those for whom this could mean a little more financial security.
For those reasons, I have no strong objections to the stores being open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies