Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2013, 07:42 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,366,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
For the third and final time, why do you think I said "maybe you meant land border". Next time just say land-border, if you mean land-border. I never said they are surrounded, I specifically said they are NOT surrounded by Arab nations.

For the final time, I know you didn't say they were surrounded. Neuling, the person I was replying too initially made that claim.

Quote:
While I am not a fan of terrorism, I can understand Iran. It is surrounded by Arabs who hate Iran and sell their souls along with their oil to the West. Whatever Iran does these days, the fault is ours because of the way we have mistreated that people for more than a century, like when the Brits and Americans tried to steal Iran's oil since the early 20th century, supported dictators, etc.
You then entered the discussion talking about the Gulf borders. The image was to clarify the situation for all involved, not just you. Again, even with the Gulf border, who, other than the Saudis, poses a credible threat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,724,752 times
Quote:
For the third and final time, why do you think I said "maybe you meant land border". Next time just say land-border, if you mean land-border. I never said they are surrounded, I specifically said they are NOT surrounded by Arab nations.

Yes, I said surrounded. And I don't get the idea that that means 360°. When I say I am surrounded by idiots, that does not mean there is a closed circle of idiots standing around me. It just means there are lots of idiots close to me.

And those smaller Arab nations further south, across the straight, are a threat to Iran as they are in bed with the US. Again, whether or not a border is on land is irrelevant these days.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM

21,455 posts, read 10,555,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
We did not lift all the sanctions. Sanctions are still in place.
We didn't lift all the sanctions, but softened them to the point where they were no longer a vice around their neck, meaning we came to the negotiation from a weakened position. The sanctions were sinking the economy and making the mullahs very unpopular. I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of this deal or what's going on in Iran, but I do think when you cobble together economic sanctions that were beginning to actually work, it's not a good idea to soften them BEFORE you make a deal. But who knows, maybe that's the way it's always done, a little show of good faith. It just seems like the deal with North Korea in the '90s, which we all know only gave them more time to build their bomb.

From The Daily Beast, hardly a right-wing website:

Exclusive: Obama

Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,216,373 times
Quote:
No, necessarily on the other side of the gulf. Water borders and territorial water claims are typically not on one side other other, but closer to the middle. The persial gulf is very narrow at spots like the straits of Hormuz, and Iran has played their games around that area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hormuz_map.png
straits of hormuz land is UAE. There is no land border between Iran and Saudia Arabis that directly connects the countries land masses

Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 AM

1,347 posts, read 953,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Indeed, you wasted your time, and only proved with your posts that you have no clue of history, like most Americans, brainwashed to an astounding degree by their nationalistic, racist, fascist governments...
All you can do is make idiotic statements, personal attacks, and accuse everyone who disagrees with your juvenile conspiracy theorist/chumpsky nonsensical drivel as "brainwashed."

Sorry charlie, but the adults here don't fall for that garbage, and many of us who have grown up or lived for years in the mideast see right through you and any other iran apologist's BS. But you keep whining on behalf of iran, perhaps they are paying you to do so.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,204,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
This would be a great thing... if we could put any faith in it.

On par with England reaching a peace agreement with Hitler in 1938.

But... remember how that one actually turned out?

One difference: Hitler didn't have nukes.

I'm not hearing the least skepticism on the news as I type this.

I expect that to change VERY soon.

When I hear the following:

U.S. and other countries have sent inspectors into every plant associated with Iran's nuclear effot, and all of them report that they witnesses Iran's nuclear processing plants being shut down, the machinery removed, and ALL of Iran's nuclear capability being reduced to the levels demanded by the major world powers. Iran is now fully in compliance with the major powers' requirements.

Furthermore, Iran has fully agreed that the inspectors will stay in place, with complete ability to videotape, film, capture, and othewise record and broadcast everything going on in ALL plants at any time they want, with no interference.

When I hear that on all major news channels, THEN it will be "news".

Until then, it's just the "civilized" world falling for another middle Eastern lie. Hardly news at all.

--------------------------------------------------

Iran, six world powers clinch breakthrough nuclear deal

Iran, six world powers clinch breakthrough nuclear deal

By Parisa Hafezi and Justyna Pawlak
12 minutes ago

GENEVA (Reuters) - Iran and six world powers reached a breakthrough agreement early on Sunday to curb Tehran's nuclear program in exchange for limited sanctions relief, in a first step towards resolving a dangerous decade-old standoff.

The deal between the Islamic state and the United States, France, Germany, Britain, China and Russia was nailed down after more than four days of negotiations.

"We have reached an agreement," Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif announced on his Twitter feed. French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius also confirmed the deal.

Iran will get access to $4.2 billion in foreign exchange as part of the accord, a Western diplomat said. No other details of the agreement were immediately available.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and foreign ministers of the five other world powers joined the negotiations with Iran early on Saturday as the two sides appeared to be edging closer to a long-sought preliminary agreement.

And the people sleep right through it!!!

Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,987,813 times
Ok, time to pivot off this subject to immigration reform... Any subject other than the Obamacare fiasco. What other worlds can he save, people set free or disasters averted. C'mon world give him something to focus on other than this home grown disaster call the ACA.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:04 AM

1,347 posts, read 953,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
You are basing this opinion on what? Iran is the major destabilizing force in the entire Middle East and has directly supported terror attacks on the U.S. Iran is the state sponsor of Hezbollah, and it's many off shoot like Kata'ib Hezbollah. Kata'ib Hezbollah (KH) or Hezbollah Brigadesis a Shi'a Iraqi Insurgent group which has been active since 4 months before the beginning of the Iraq War (although their first attack was on October 2003), not to be confused with the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah. It is said to be an offshoot of the "Special Groups", which are the Iranian backed elements of the Mahdi Army. Katai'b Hezbollah is a separate and independent organization and not part of the Mahdi Army and its Special Groups . According to the American forces it receives funding, training, logistics, and material from Iran's Quds Force. Claims which are denied by Iran Iran can deny this all they want, but when Quds Force operative were often captured inside Iraq, it sort of undermines that particular excuse.

Hezbollah has conducted terror attacks all over the world, and again, they are funded directly by Iran. So please explain how Iran poses no threat to the U.S. with or without nuclear weapons? You may want to blow the dust of a history book and see just how well the policy of appeasement worked for the British in the late 1930s....
The teenagers, the clueless and those seeking to be "edgy" and "cool" with their anti-american/anti-western/anti-Israel BS are not going to ever address these facts; it will always be "but but but america is bad too!" or some other juvenile crap.

For the rational, here is a good read on the agreement's abject failings:

Seven loopholes favoring a nuclear Iran in deal signed by the world powers

"1. Parchin: This long-suspected facility remains out of UN oversight. President Obama and Secretary of State John Kerry boasted after the signing that daily IAEA inspections will take place at Fordo and Natanz. However, cameras are already fixed at both those facilities without an agreement, whereas Tehran’s consistent denial of IAEA access to Parchin is not addressed.

2. Secret nuclear locations: Under the heading "Possible Military Dimensions," the last IAEA report noted: "Since 2002, the Agency has become increasingly concerned about the possible existence in Iran of undisclosed nuclear related organizations, including activities related to the development of a payload for a missile.”
The watchdog has received information indicating activities "relevant to the development of a nuclear explosive device." This was further corroborated by new information obtained since November 2011. Tehran’s non-cooperation for investigating these findings is not mentioned in the Geneva interim accord, nor was it addressed in the negotiations...."

Last edited by MadisonR; 11-25-2013 at 08:17 AM..

Old 11-25-2013, 08:05 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,581,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
We didn't lift all the sanctions, but softened them to the point where they were no longer a vice around their neck, meaning we came to the negotiation from a weakened position. The sanctions were sinking the economy and making the mullahs very unpopular. I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of this deal or what's going on in Iran, but I do think when you cobble together economic sanctions that were beginning to actually work, it's not a good idea to soften them BEFORE you make a deal. But who knows, maybe that's the way it's always done, a little show of good faith. It just seems like the deal with North Korea in the '90s, which we all know only gave them more time to build their bomb.

From The Daily Beast, hardly a right-wing website:

Exclusive: Obama
Ah, so after 40 years they were just begining to work now. Too bad it took so long, because the Iranians have been working on a nuke all this time.

Do you think Iran would have abandoned their nuclear program if we had continued the sanctions? Why do you think that?

Old 11-25-2013, 08:06 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,581,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
There is no land border between Iran and Saudia Arabis that directly connects the countries land masses
Did someone say there was?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies