Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 03:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Life ain't fair. If it was, I'd be 6'6" and an pro sports player making gizillions of dollars. I'm not. I'm a small, white, jewish male who isn't going to survive an encounter with a sizable thug regardless of color. I give a wide berth to people who give off thug vibes. One vibe is the tattoos, wife beater t-shirt, etc. Another is a black kid with pants around his mid-butt and wearing a hoodie on a hot day. In Vietnam I felt the same way about kids---they can kill you. There are no second chances. It is the reality of life. Not fair. Not going to change. For the record, I don't trust white bankers in their coats and ties. I also am fairly sure that most black folks don't trust white people and neither do I blame them for that attitude. But don't ask, or demand, that I feel guilty about attitudes. I don't. I won't. I've lived long enough to know better.
Sensible approach.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 PM

73,011 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Call it "having a chip on one's shoulder", but I can't help but be a bit angry at times. I don't express it much of the time(except online). However, this is my view on it. Do I recognize there are young Black people attacking people? Yes. Can you name one time I've denied this? Do I condemn the attacks? Yes. Do I feel sorry for that teenager in Michigan who got shot for trying to taser a random person? No. That teenager is lucky he lived and got a year in prison. And he thought it was a joke. Anyone who takes getting shot as a joke(while trying to attack someone else randomly) is psychologically unstable.

With all of this noted, this is how I view things. Black people have been hated, and have been viewed as inferior. Blacks have been viewed as unwanted people. And this goes back to the days of slavery. And it isn't just in the USA either. So when I hear stuff like "I avoid Black people", I am going to be a but peeved to say the least. Should I care? No I shouldn't care what others think of me. I know it isn't healthy. However, this is how I see it. Not caring how other people perceive me, as a Black man in America, can have its consequences. It comes with internalizing some bad things. Do I have rights in this nation? Yes I do, and I'm glad I do. However, old attitudes still exist.

In a way, I condemn the "knockout game" perpetrators. I also feel extremely jaded about race relations in this nation. I feel like old attitudes have never died out, just manifested differently, so it's hard for me to tell. No one can trust anyone, and it has always been like this, from day one. At age 13, I thought "leave the Southeast, get away from here". Age 15, I starting thinking "go to Canada, it's better there". The older I get, I realize bigoted attitudes are everywhere, and it just manifests itself in different ways.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:40 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Call it "having a chip on one's shoulder", but I can't help but be a bit angry at times. I don't express it much of the time(except online). However, this is my view on it. Do I recognize there are young Black people attacking people? Yes. Can you name one time I've denied this? Do I condemn the attacks? Yes. Do I feel sorry for that teenager in Michigan who got shot for trying to taser a random person? No. That teenager is lucky he lived and got a year in prison. And he thought it was a joke. Anyone who takes getting shot as a joke(while trying to attack someone else randomly) is psychologically unstable.

With all of this noted, this is how I view things. Black people have been hated, and have been viewed as inferior. Blacks have been viewed as unwanted people. And this goes back to the days of slavery. And it isn't just in the USA either. So when I hear stuff like "I avoid Black people", I am going to be a but peeved to say the least. Should I care? No I shouldn't care what others think of me. I know it isn't healthy. However, this is how I see it. Not caring how other people perceive me, as a Black man in America, can have its consequences. It comes with internalizing some bad things. Do I have rights in this nation? Yes I do, and I'm glad I do. However, old attitudes still exist.

In a way, I condemn the "knockout game" perpetrators. I also feel extremely jaded about race relations in this nation. I feel like old attitudes have never died out, just manifested differently, so it's hard for me to tell. No one can trust anyone, and it has always been like this, from day one. At age 13, I thought "leave the Southeast, get away from here". Age 15, I starting thinking "go to Canada, it's better there". The older I get, I realize bigoted attitudes are everywhere, and it just manifests itself in different ways.
"In a way" you condemn the perpetrators of these crimes? Well, bravo for you.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
"In a way" you condemn the perpetrators of these crimes? Well, bravo for you.
Okay, I should have paid better attention. I condemn the attacks, period.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:55 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh for heaven's sake! Back in the fifties you needed to fear the white man. It's now the 2K's and the tables have turned, now all need to fear the black man; this is a good thing in your mind, eh?

Tables have turned, revenge is sweet? Careful what you gloat over. I get the sense these young thugs would turn on you in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it ESPECIALLY because you're military.

You can't be serious in getting any sense of satisfaction out of your race perpetrating the bulk of these terrible things any more than the bulk of the white race approved over racism in the 50's. You have got to be smarter than that.
No, it's not about tables being turned, it's about no race having a monopoly on creating fear in another. And even now, "my race" is not perpetuating the bulk of terror. The only difference is that the South has learned how to do it like the North always has...use the police instead of DIY.

After retiring from the military, I grew to realize that the reason I stayed in it was to stay the hell out of civilian American society. Soldiers are much more honorable and civilized, and military society is much more of a meritocracy.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

I condemn the attacks, period. Not in a way, not when, not if, but period. When I typed the statement and then typed "in a way", I wasn't paying very good attention to what I was typing.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, it's not about tables being turned, it's about no race having a monopoly on creating fear in another. And even now, "my race" is not perpetuating the bulk of terror. The only difference is that the South has learned how to do it like the North always has...use the police instead of DIY.

After retiring from the military, I grew to realize that the reason I stayed in it was to stay the hell out of civilian American society. Soldiers are much more honorable and civilized, and military society is much more of a meritocracy.
In 2010, according to the FBI's expanded homicide statistics, 14 percent of all white people murdered were murdered by black people. While 8 percent of all black people murdered that year were murdered by white people.

To have a real discussion, present the accurate facts.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:15 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,695 times
Quote:
In 2010, according to the FBI's expanded homicide statistics, 14 percent of all white people murdered were murdered by black people. While 8 percent of all black people murdered that year were murdered by white people.

race is a social construct. there is no difference between you, a white male, and a black male. the only differences are based on where you were born in regards to environment.

also murder numbers are microscopic in proportion to the population.

this murder spree white conservative males talk about day after day is a myth.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:32 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:

Your facts have been sanitized to include only the incidents classified as "murder" through the police and the courts.

In the 50s and earlier, there were never any blacks at all ever killed by whites...according to FBI statistics, to show an example of how sanitized statistics can be misleading.

Old 11-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:

And with intra-racial murders, most people are killed by members of their own ethnicity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies