Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 12:33 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I probably picked it up from reading Popular Mechanics.
You mean a CONverter and an INverter aren't the same thing?
A battery can be connected backwards?
Why who'da think it!
Too many people these days have only the smarts that the school system delivered to them. They have little or no "real world" smarts, possibly because even as adults they don't live in the "real world". They don't read the kinds of magazines that could teach them such things, either. The New Yorker and Time and Newsweek and People may have their place, but they do nothing to help you fix a leaky faucet!
Or remind you to put the cup in your Keurig BEFORE you push the button!
Back in 1969, I had a hankering to build a hovercraft I saw that summer in Popular Mechanics.

I didn't have the funds or the tools to build one then; I do now. I've just found those plans online.

This summer...it's gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 02:24 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Excellent point. I've been saying for quite some time... "School" is simply a place to stuff all the cyclically unemployed folks. What do people do when they can't find a job? Go to school! What happens when they graduate and they can't find a job? Go to school... Again! After accumulating tens of thousands of dollars of debt, they finally realize, the work may suck but someone still has to flip the burgers...

That's the Obozo economy for ya... The fastest growing industry in America is the fast food industry. Someone's gotta do the work.
Sadly, a lot of people believe if they just get the degree, they will have a good job waiting for them. I know because I live in a college town that was once home to the number 1 party school in the country. I still see kids coming here from out of state and racking up giant tuition bills, living in luxury apartments, and spending their college years with a hangover. These kids will get the degree because the professors post their notes online so attendance is not mandatory. When these kids graduate, they will be worthless to employers.

College is all too often an extension of childhood and "let's get away from mom and dad so I can get sloppin drunk" instead of preparation for a job and career. Then the kids join Occupy Wall Street wondering why they can't pay off their loans.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well you seemed to make your entire argument invalid with that single sentence, nice job. The only thing Beck has been intelligent with is fooling people into thinking he has something important to say so that you make him more money. You shouldn't feed the trolls and Glenn Beck is a troll.
I'm sorry... I don't define "intelligence" as "agreeing with me". I DEFINITELY don't define intelligence as "agreeing with you".

Whatever you agree or disagree with Beck about, he certainly has found financial and media success far beyond anyone on this forum. I'm not a GB fan, I have rarely heard or seen him because I chose to. But I find no reason to think he's unintelligent.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:42 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I'm sorry... I don't define "intelligence" as "agreeing with me". I DEFINITELY don't define intelligence as "agreeing with you".

Whatever you agree or disagree with Beck about, he certainly has found financial and media success far beyond anyone on this forum. I'm not a GB fan, I have rarely heard or seen him because I chose to. But I find no reason to think he's unintelligent.
Well then I guess we can agree that he isn't intelligent, just able to sucker people into believing him and making him more money.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
And I guess you now spend all your time under a car's hood?
Not at all. My interests are mechanics, computer science, networking ( I ran a small rural ISP that was pure wireless), cutting edge technologies, alternative medicine, history, alternative energy, and photography, for starters.

Quote:
Not really sure what the point on this statement is, either you found yourself being lazy in school because you could which is your problem and your parents and your teachers for obviously not noticing your laziness and pushing you harder in school or it is that not every kid knows or wants to know how to be an electrician, a mechanic, or any other manual labor profession. Sure, there are plenty of kids that are great at those things, but that doesn't mean every kid needs to be great at them.
No, it's that if you have no interest in the world around you, you are ignorant and lack skills and practical abilities. That's why so few can do well on the ASVAB.

Quote:
Though I have always been a fan of allowing kids to spend their last two years of high school pursuing things that are more of interest to them, if their interest is under a car's hood, then by all means they should be taking classes at the trade school to learn more about things like that.
I didn't learn a single thing from a classroom, in regards to auto mechanics. Nor for the specialized mechanic I was for 13 years. It was all self taught. By the time I went to the certification school, I was correcting the factory trainer's mistakes.

Not because I have any high IQ (I don't), but because I've spent my entire life wanting to understand HOW THINGS WORK. And that's not just technology. The day you lose interest in knowing the world and how things work, is the day your mind begins to die.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Well then I guess we can agree that he isn't intelligent, just able to sucker people into believing him and making him more money.
No, I don't agree.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
"Not well paid"? Really?
No, quote accurately. "not that well paid". Few doctors earn fantastic money. The majority make a good living. A few too many go bankrupt.

Quote:
Doctors may not be getting what they used to because of changes to the Healthcare system we have now, and their work is hard and & stress even worse.
That's why I said "not that well paid".

Quote:
But engineers not getting paid well? BS. A BS degree in engineering is - on average - the highest paying 4-year college degree out there. A ChemE degree could start out making $65,000/yr. If that ain't good money, I don't know what is.
It's ok. I don't consider it to be big money. It's poverty, if you live in a high cost of living city. As an RN, with a 2 year degree, my wife once grossed 118K in one year - a decade ago, but that was stars aligning just right, luck, and other assorted "don't happen all that often" events.

I met a guy who grosses well more than 65K and all he does is drive around and change tires, jump start cars, and open doors for people who locked their keys inside, etc. 65K is not unheard of for a truck driver, either.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:57 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, I don't agree.
You don't agree that he is good at suckering people into believing in him so that it makes him lots of money?

Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
A classical liberal arts education should not be discouraged.
Why not? It's a lot of money and of no actual value.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
You don't agree that he is good at suckering people into believing in him so that it makes him lots of money?
NOpe, don't agree with that, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies