Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:47 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

It wasn't long ago that someone on cd (Obama supporter of course) posted "government should take away all tax deductions, raise taxes on landlords". Obviously this Obama supporter would rather pay higher rent or live in government run housing.

Last edited by petch751; 11-25-2013 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 01:49 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can call it what you want but those taxes are hidden in the cost of the products you purchase. When I hand you bill this it what it looks like on my side.

$1 electricity
$1 shipping
$1 taxes
$3 inventory
------------------------
$6 subtotal
------------------------
$4 My profit
------------------------
$10 total I'm going to charge you

Instead of me including the tax in your cost of $10 would you rather see it itemized on the bill?

The reason it would not be fair to simply increase you individual income tax is everyone already pays this hidden tax no mater what their income is. You would unfairly burden the middle class with even more taxes if it were just moved to income tax.
If corporate tax is ended, you'd still charge $10 and your profit would become $5.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And when NOT a single company drops its price NOBODY has to follow, eh?
How many companies in this country are not trying to get a leg up on the competitor?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
[quote=burdell;32375919]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

IF the theoretical economics taught in schools was so all-knowing and capable of predicting economic conditions, why does the world continually find itself beset with economic problems?
Mostly because they ignore basic economics.

Throughout history no firm has been able to hod on to excess profits for long in the absence of support by government. New competitors enter markets where profits are high. There would be a short term benefit to corporations. Prices do tend to remain a bit sticky for awhile. The length of time depends on how easy it is to enter a certain market. The short term benefit would benefit myself and every other American who has an IRA or 401k that includes company stocks.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:53 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
If corporate tax is ended, you'd still charge $10 and your profit would become $5.
Do you understand the effects of competition or can't you connect the dots?

so instead of taking that risk you would rather the government keep those taxes high and companies will continue to look for a cheaper way of doing business and send more and more jobs overseas.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:53 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times
I know on paper we have the high tax rate on businesses but I don't think many are actually paying that high rate. GE, Apple, Google, and many other big companies pay about 8 percent and hide billions of dollars overseas to avoid taxes.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:55 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
How many companies in this country are not trying to get a leg up on the competitor?
Judging by the lackluster quality of many products it would seem to be quite a few.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:56 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
From what I can tell this is not the argument here. The argument is ending taxes on corporations which in the end is really a regressive tax on consumers, not an end to taxes on income.

Taxes on corporations should end as they are by and large a very regressive tax. It costs the middle and lower classes far more than it does the upper classes.

Income tax should then be taxed all the same. It should matter none how it is derived.
Sigh. I've seen this whole argument played out.

1. taxes on corporations are taxes on profits, the relationship between their taxes, and prices is not 1-1, and have a lot fo competing issues like the elasticity of demand of a product.

2. We need to pay for all the benefits that we receive that the government does do, infrastructure, defense, etc. Given that one way is via corporate taxation, another is via personal taxation. Generally the poor people do not in fact own companys. Now see #1. This tax is not regressive per se, although large loopholes can make it that way. (See GE paying $10 in taxes one year)

Just saying "this is a regressive tax" does not in fact make your statement true.

Here is some facts:
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/Uploa..._incidence.pdf

The TLDR version is.....you're wrong.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:56 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Every one that sells gasoline for starters. Has there ever been a price war between Shell and Exxon?

Old 11-25-2013, 01:58 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Mostly because they ignore basic economics.
I think it more likely because theoretical economics often falls victim to this truth:

In theory, theory and practice are the same

In practice, they're not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies