Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 11:37 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,655 times

Advertisements

Does anyone feel that public hangings, or the death penalty actually meaning DEATH (not 15 years on death row) for violent criminals would discourage violent crimes? I'm just curious to see how people feel about this subject. If anyone thinks it would make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 12:20 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
Does anyone feel that public hangings, or the death penalty actually meaning DEATH (not 15 years on death row) for violent criminals would discourage violent crimes? I'm just curious to see how people feel about this subject. If anyone thinks it would make a difference.
It'd put us in the same category as Saudi Arabia. I'm opposed to it.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:24 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Public executions?No.

Much quicker process to execution?Yes.

Is the death penalty effective?
100%,the person executed will never commit another crime.

It matters little to me if it discourages others,it rids the world of one less criminal.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:42 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
I think public executions would be a great way for people to see what happens to more and more repetitive violent criminals.

Fear mongering is sometimes a good thing.

Seriously, would a criminal attempt to rape a woman who (they know) bench presses 300lbs+ and has a concealed weapons permit and a black belt? I don't think so.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:31 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,561,493 times
I agree with the death penalty on a philosophical level. It is impractical, though. It costs more to execute someone than it does to incarcirate them indefinately. Why should we pay more for someone's crime? Vengence? It is hardly a deterrant to crime, look at Texas. One would assume that after decades of executed criminals that there would be no murder south of The Red River. Nope. Look at China, Nope. Saudi Arabia, Hardly. No civilized nation performs public executions, and pretty soon no civilized nation will perform executions. Then there is the possibility of innocence. It is slim, but there are numerous cases of it. Do you want your government to be the one to errorneously kill an innocent man? I don't.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
this was common in england 300 years ago. also in 1st 200 years of american history.
60 years ago we started putting the brakes on.
we have swung the other direction.
for instance, here, there is no such thing as crime, only terrible misunderstandings
all done in hawaiian shirts.
self defense is severely punished even when done by police officers.
welcome to my world

Old 11-24-2007, 01:44 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
I agree with the death penalty on a philosophical level. It is impractical, though. It costs more to execute someone than it does to incarcirate them indefinately.
That would be solved by a speedy execution.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:45 PM

436 posts, read 809,662 times
Quote:
I agree with the death penalty on a philosophical level. It is impractical, though. It costs more to execute someone than it does to incarcirate them indefinately. Why should we pay more for someone's crime? Vengence? It is hardly a deterrant to crime, look at Texas. One would assume that after decades of executed criminals that there would be no murder south of The Red River. Nope. Look at China, Nope. Saudi Arabia, Hardly. No civilized nation performs public executions, and pretty soon no civilized nation will perform executions. Then there is the possibility of innocence. It is slim, but there are numerous cases of it. Do you want your government to be the one to errorneously kill an innocent man? I don't.
I disagree that it is impractical. It can be done. It costs more to execute ONLY because of the fact that this country allows appeal upon appeal, with the person being supported, in every way, shape and form for all to many years. Perhaps, if the executions were carried out in a reasonable time frame, after a verdict free of reasonable doubt. BUT- this judicial system allows twenty years and more before the sentence directed in the court of law is carried out.

Capital punishment does work, albeit in a one on one basis. Does it deter others? I believe it would, IF the prisoner were dealt the sentence in a timely manner, on a consist basis.

On the prospect of public executions- NO! Leave them in the context of being conducted behind the prison walls.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:31 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,370,655 times
Quote:
How would it be more expensive to execute than pay for them to sit in jail for 50 years? I don't understand that.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:33 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
How would it be more expensive to execute than pay for them to sit in jail for 50 years? I don't understand that.
Trying a capital offense is very expensive; capital trials are bifurcated and there's a lot more expert testimony, plus there's the whole mandatory appeals process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies