Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
The fact that Wal-Mart needs to hold a food drive for their poor and underpaid employees speaks volumes.

However, sociopath right wingers still don't see a problem with this picture.
A Wal-Mart store allowed some employees to put up signs in employee areas asking other employees to donate food and holiday supplies for the less fortunate employees.

Wal-Mart didn't sponsor a "food drive" at all. Employees wanted to share with other employees.

The fact that some people felt entitled to mischaracterize the entire thing speaks volumes.

And I'm a left winger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Wal-Mart is the biggest employer in the US and their workers do not have basic rights in order to strike.

Back when we had a strong middle class, GM workers had the right to right.

Cons, hate the fact that Americans should earn a living wage. Instead, they think that their employees should live off the state.

You people are sick.
Yep, GM had the right to strike back in the day, and what happened to that bloated union run shop? Into the toilet it went along with BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars and now that it's owned by the union and ???? not much better.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
I don't know anyone who lionizes Amazon. In fact, I know many who constantly criticize it for attempting to cheat on its taxes.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:58 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
How funny, just watched Walmart's latest commercial showing all happy,happy,happy employees that were bragging about how much Walmart has given them, from scholarships to free healthcare. Smiles all around life is good at Wally World (according to the commercial).

Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
How funny, just watched Walmart's latest commercial showing all happy,happy,happy employees that were bragging about how much Walmart has given them, from scholarships to free healthcare. Smiles all around life is good at Wally World (according to the commercial).

Actually, Walmart has done that for many employees. Why is that so hard to believe? Even McDonald's has a scholarship program for it's employees. And both companies hire people who probably would have a hard time getting a job in a union shop.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:03 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,017,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here in liberal latte-land of Seattle, Amazon is credited with a massive hiring boom and a good economy in spite of having an actual Marxist on the city council. WalMart, of course is the great Satan. I asked a Teamsters' union official I know about Amazon after listening to him go on a rant about WalMart. Amazon is considered a good employer, he told me. Is it because Jeff Bezos donates to democrats like Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell?

Amazon appears to me to be much more of a sweatshop model than Walmart.
Brutal Conditions In Amazon's Warehouses - Business Insider

Walmart hires the people that no one else will, and pays them accordingly. Amazon hires the people who are desperate and works them to desperation. Walmart is a kinder, gentler Amazon. Why does the left demonize Walmart, and lionize Amazon?
Amazon is new.

You also don't go into Amazon "stores" as it's all through the web.

Quote:
Amazon warehouse workers are paid $11 an hour in the U.S.[LEFT]
Read more: Brutal Conditions In Amazon's Warehouses - Business Insider

Amazon apparently pays more. The average wage at walmart for an associate is something like $8.81. Amazon also has a 1% margin, versus Walmarts 6%. Basically, Amazon skirts the line, and so realistically should have an even lower average wage than walmart. Walmart on the other hand is safely above the line, and has much more wiggle room, but doesn't hide it's reliance on indirect government subsidization of its workers wages.
[/LEFT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
And Target doesn't use Walmart practices? - The only differences being #1 Walmart is bigger and is therefore more effective at doing these things and #2 Target is cool, liberal hipsters pronounce it "Tar-shay" as if it were French.

Walmart was NOT the pioneer. They were the most successful. Walmart copied many of Meijer's practices that pioneered much of this...and then Walmart beat Meijer out at their own game. Meanwhile, Meijer still has success using many of the same strategies that Walmart is demonized for...while the Walmart haters go to Meijer.

Amazon has been around for years now and is arguably worse than Walmart in how they treat employees and drive prices down and put out mom and pop stores...but middle and upper class liberals love using it -- that is why it get a free pass.
Amazon isn't walmart though. They're driving down prices because anyone can sell stuff through amazon. It's the next up from ebay.

and as to Target being considered cool... I've never heard any liberal say much of it. I come from a liberal family, and we don't shop at target, just like we don't shop at walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Yep, GM had the right to strike back in the day, and what happened to that bloated union run shop? Into the toilet it went along with BILLIONS of taxpayer dollars and now that it's owned by the union and ???? not much better.
That's not why GM failed.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Wal-Mart is the biggest employer in the US and their workers do not have basic rights in order to strike.

Back when we had a strong middle class, GM workers had the right to right.

Cons, hate the fact that Americans should earn a living wage. Instead, they think that their employees should live off the state.

You people are sick.
As our economy has changed over the past five decades, unions have lost membership. Unions act like businesses, too. They make money from their members. They advertise to acquire members. They sell the idea that employees and employers are adversaries, and that unions can intercede on the behalf of employees and obtain for them better pay and benefits.

For skilled labor, unions have been successful in doing that because the skills that the employees have tip the balance at the negotiating table. For unskilled labor, that's not true. The employees don't have a skill, and employers know that for every position they have at least ten applicants. In order for unions to successfully negotiate on behalf of unskilled labor, they have to recruit a vast majority of that unskilled labor, essentially limiting the labor pool to the employer, and they have to conduct a PR campaign to demonize the employer. Wal-Mart is the largest employer of unskilled laborers in this country. And unions have targeted Wal-Mart, attempting to unionize those unskilled laborers who have refused, in vote after vote after vote, to unionize, and in a full-on PR campaign against Wal-Mart. If the unions can influence public opinion enough, they can change laws, and make unionizing easier for unions.

I support unions when they are employee driven. I don't support unions when the unions have become corporations themselves. And the unions that have waged the campaigns against Wal-Mart are not employee-driven. Wal-Mart doesn't treat its employees any worse than Target or Sears or Home Depot. Its pay is comparable, its benefits are comparable. When Sears started its catalog a century ago, small local shop owners complained about how it hurt their business. Competition forces businesses to be competitive.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:24 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
The fact that Wal-Mart needs to hold a food drive for their poor and underpaid employees speaks volumes.
I haven't heard of Walmart holding any food drives for their employees. However, if they did, then that is generous of them. They don't "need" to hold food drives for anybody. Walmart is a business. It is not a charity. Its function is to sell products to make a profit. Walmart is not its employees' mommy. It's not their responsibility see that their employees eat right and get a good night's sleep.
Quote:
However, sociopath right wingers still don't see a problem with this picture.
I'm sure they don't. Neither do sane right wingers. Anyone who does see a problem with that picture is an economic illiterate.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I haven't heard of Walmart holding any food drives for their employees. However, if they did, then that is generous of them.
They didn't hold a food drive. They had donation bins in the employee-only area, so that Wal-Mart employees could donate food to other employees who might be struggling.

There are people who make six figures who live paycheck-to-paycheck. We don't know what situation someone is in who might work full-time and still need help, while other people are able to make it just fine on the same income.

Old 11-26-2013, 12:49 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
This morning I was talking to a parking valet at one of the areas largest employers.
he said that this past weekend he went to a free thanksgiving dinner distribution to get a free dinner box, because he only makes $8 per hour!
He could make more working at Walmart or McDonalds!
Maybe he likes the chance to drive lots of different vehicles from the front door to the parking lot and back...
Walmart apparently treated my daughter and her husband quite well for a lot of years. He recently moved on to a store manager position with a different chain of stores. I hope it does well, also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies