Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times

Advertisements

Here in liberal latte-land of Seattle, Amazon is credited with a massive hiring boom and a good economy in spite of having an actual Marxist on the city council. WalMart, of course is the great Satan. I asked a Teamsters' union official I know about Amazon after listening to him go on a rant about WalMart. Amazon is considered a good employer, he told me. Is it because Jeff Bezos donates to democrats like Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell?

Amazon appears to me to be much more of a sweatshop model than Walmart.
Brutal Conditions In Amazon's Warehouses - Business Insider

Walmart hires the people that no one else will, and pays them accordingly. Amazon hires the people who are desperate and works them to desperation. Walmart is a kinder, gentler Amazon. Why does the left demonize Walmart, and lionize Amazon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 06:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
the consumer gods that we worship we occasionally resent. but then we forget at christmas time and bow b4 them once again.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,470,844 times
The fact that Wal-Mart needs to hold a food drive for their poor and underpaid employees speaks volumes.

However, sociopath right wingers still don't see a problem with this picture.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here in liberal latte-land of Seattle, Amazon is credited with a massive hiring boom and a good economy in spite of having an actual Marxist on the city council. WalMart, of course is the great Satan. I asked a Teamsters' union official I know about Amazon after listening to him go on a rant about WalMart. Amazon is considered a good employer, he told me. Is it because Jeff Bezos donates to democrats like Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell?

Walmart hires the people that no one else will, and pays them accordingly. Amazon hires the people who are desperate and works them to desperation. Walmart is a kinder, gentler Amazon. Why does the left demonize Walmart, and lionize Amazon?
Because Wal Mart is the epitome of what is wrong with America. Americans demand the cheapest products so manufacturing is shipped overseas and labor is paid the lowest rate and given minimul benefits (families often have to rely on the govt). It's not ALL Wal-Mart's fault but they were the pioneers in this regard. Amazon is just too new.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:

Because Walmart does what it does in the public eye, Amazon is hidden away in distribution centers that most never,ever see much less hear about.
All people know about Amazon is a click or two on a nice website and presto! You've got what you want at your door. What do you MEAN there's actually people involved?????? Really?????

Old 11-25-2013, 06:37 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:

You know Bezos is a libertarian, right? I'm guessing that he's "on your side" on a lot of issues.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing the average Amazon Seattle headquarters employee makes about $100,000 a year.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
You know Bezos is a libertarian, right? I'm guessing that he's "on your side" on a lot of issues.
Bezos has donated $16,000 to United States Democrats, $2,000 to United States Republicans, and $55,000 to special interests as of September 6, 2012

Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
hardly

88 Percent of New Washington Post Owner’s Donations Went to Dems | Washington Free Beacon

Old 11-25-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Bezos has donated $16,000 to United States Democrats, $2,000 to United States Republicans, and $55,000 to special interests as of September 6, 2012
Yup, he supported the gay marriage bill because so many of his employees are gay.

The politics of Jeff Bezos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies