Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 01:31 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
How do you justify taking up to 35% of someone's income (premiums and deductibles) to subsidize your care? We are talking folks who are middle class. If you can explain that to me I would appreciate it because nobody has been able to yet..
Middle class people are getting taxed at 35% to pay for others' healthcare? Really?

But that aside... look: it's inevitable that the haves are going to pay something to cover the cost of healthcare for the have nots. Poor people get heart attacks, too, and when they show up at the ER, they get taken care of. Who do you think will pay for that?

I'm not saying it should be X% or Y% - obviously, I don't support the overburdening of anyone, and I'm not going to defend the screwups with Obamacare. My point is simply that healthcare is a unique market in that (1) everyone is in it at some point, (2) no one can afford it out of pocket, and (3) everyone is therefore forced to pitch in to collectively cover each others' costs (aka insurance).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 02:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Seriously, conservatives... how do you expect healthcare to work if we don't redistribute the cost burden amongst each other? Have you guys put any thought into this at all?
The ends justify the means? It's O.K. to blatantly lie about something as long as you are O.K. with the end result?

It really doesn't matter if the cost multiply rather than go down by $2500? It's O.K. that you can't keep the policy you have in place if you are happy with it? It's O.K. that you can't continue to go to the doctor that has treated you your entire life because the new policy doesn't accept him?

All of this and more was O.K. to address the problem?

Old 11-26-2013, 03:07 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I happen to know a person who is a small businessman. He just about flew threw the damn roof. When he recently realized what his premiums are going to be under this new supposedly inespensive health care bill.
Triple what he currently has. But stupid things that he does not need he is single. Does he need maternity care. Things he did have before he will not with this plan, so what the hell is this point.

He is not the only one that is finding out the truth of this bill. He is an acquaintence, but i know friends and some family who are pissed the hell off right now. Those who voted for this tool, realized this tool dupped them.

The coverage each of these people had, was so much better then what will be offered under OBAMACARE, still his baby?
Give it a rest. Aren't women subsidizing his PSA levels and prostate exams? I've never seen such whining in my life.

"I'll never have kids! Why should I pay for maternity?"
"I don't have a gall bladder! Why should I pay for someone's cholecystectomy?"
"I'm not overweight! Why should I pay for Type 2 diabetes treatment?

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: offensive

Old 11-26-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Give it a rest. Aren't women subsidizing his PSA levels and prostate exams? I've never seen such whining in my life.

"I'll never have kids! Why should I pay for maternity?"
"I don't have a gall bladder! Why should I pay for someone's cholecystectomy?"
"I'm not overweight! Why should I pay for Type 2 diabetes treatment?
Why should someone who tries to eat healthy and exercises to keep healthy pay the same as someone who over eats, never exercises and is a heart attack waiting to happen?

Should the person with 5 auto accidents the last 4 years pay the same for his auto insurance as the guy who has had none?

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-26-2013 at 02:41 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 03:15 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,474,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I happen to know a person who is a small businessman. He just about flew threw the damn roof. When he recently realized what his premiums are going to be under this new supposedly inespensive health care bill.
Triple what he currently has. But stupid things that he does not need he is single. Does he need maternity care. Things he did have before he will not with this plan, so what the hell is this point.

He is not the only one that is finding out the truth of this bill. He is an acquaintence, but i know friends and some family who are pissed the hell off right now. Those who voted for this tool, realized this tool dupped them.

The coverage each of these people had, was so much better then what will be offered under OBAMACARE, still his baby?
"I know a guy blah, blah, blah," Those are nice little stories but as far as we can tell they are just stories. This, on the other hand, is a real person saving 15K a year.
President Obama Singles Out Leetsdale Man During Healthcare Speech « CBS Pittsburgh

Old 11-26-2013, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
"I know a guy blah, blah, blah," Those are nice little stories but as far as we can tell they are just stories. This, on the other hand, is a real person saving 15K a year.
President Obama Singles Out Leetsdale Man During Healthcare Speech « CBS Pittsburgh
We also know the false narratives of those that Obamacare have touted as helping.

Rude Awakening for Federal Way Woman Who Got Shout-Out From President

Old 11-26-2013, 04:18 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Joe the Plumber said it (redistribution)
Joe Wilson said it (You lie!)

They were correct.
One thing that I found shocking was the angry backlash at Joe the Plumber for asking Obama a question.

Think about it. Here is a guy running for the highest office in the land and his supporters are angry that a citizen dare ask him a question that isn't preapproved?

Instead of being mad at Obama for his answer...they attacked the citizen that dare ask a question to precious Obama.

Obama has set back transparency in this country in so many different ways.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Woman cited by President as Obamacare success story frustrated by sign up process – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

This lady cited by the president as a success story has now found out that she was under quoted...twice and the government made a mistake...she doesn't qualify for subsidies.

She went from being able to afford healthcare to not having it and paying a fine under Obamacare.

I wonder if she regrets voting for the liar twice?

Old 11-26-2013, 04:24 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
Ambient, wake up please. Yes, they are getting taxed. Premiums are rising anywhere from 30 to 100%. Can you afford to fork out another $200 a month? On top of that, the out of pocket expenses have risen anywhere from $1K to $5K to $6K. It's like having no insurance at all. Hundreds of thousands of people have lost their insurance. They have to pay much more. They're not wealthy people. When poor people get heart attacks, the hospitals help them get Medicaid if they don't already have it. This exactly happened to my neighbor who had a heart attack, didn't have insurance, and his entire bill was covered by Medicaid. Please wake up and see what is really going on.

The middle class is getting stuck with this. Do you really think the middle class are the "haves?"

I'm adding one more thing: why would the union leaders, who are avid supporters of Obama, agree with every single thing Americans are saying about how Obamacare is hurting them, their jobs, their families. The union leaders wrote a strong letter to Obama, he met with them in the White House, and now they get some kind of pass. They wrote in the letter that basically they put him (Obama) where he is and this law hurts American workers.

Quote:
Middle class people are getting taxed at 35% to pay for others' healthcare? Really?

But that aside... look: it's inevitable that the haves are going to pay something to cover the cost of healthcare for the have nots. Poor people get heart attacks, too, and when they show up at the ER, they get taken care of. Who do you think will pay for that?

I'm not saying it should be X% or Y% - obviously, I don't support the overburdening of anyone, and I'm not going to defend the screwups with Obamacare. My point is simply that healthcare is a unique market in that (1) everyone is in it at some point, (2) no one can afford it out of pocket, and (3) everyone is therefore forced to pitch in to collectively cover each others' costs (aka insurance).

Last edited by carolac; 11-26-2013 at 04:35 AM..

Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Apparently someone other than the middle class was paying for it, because the middle class is getting kicked in the nuts with Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies