Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times

Advertisements

I know of someone who claimed to have brain cancer once. She didn't. I guess it's not an uncommon thing, lying about something to get attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:51 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I know of someone who claimed to have brain cancer once. She didn't. I guess it's not an uncommon thing, lying about something to get attention.
I knew someone that claimed that; also, my ex's best friend did, when we were in our early 20's... in both situations I was skeptical from the start.

It seems that, for some people who just have a pathological need or desire to be paid attention to - to say nothing of needing money desperately - claiming you have cancer is such a whopper, you can't not do it. Most people would never remotely consider claiming something like that out of sheer decency, let alone the gymnastics you'd have to do to keep the story up. There are a few people who have taken it so far they had people doing fundraisers for them and stuff like that.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's not all that unheard of, that's for sure. I have seen this sort of thing before; a former friend married a pathological liar. She stayed married to him even after discovering the extent of his lies (which included lies about military service). We are no longer friends.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:38 AM

10,031 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
Did she pay taxes on that tip?
Since the tip was on a credit card, I'm guessing the tip is put in her paycheck.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:57 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
As a right-winger I take offense to this. This isn't about someone being gay... this is about a woman who obviously has no CHARACTER. She lied. She committed fraud... and we're the ones your attacking???
Yes, this is the whole point of revealing that the waitress made this up.

It doesn't matter what the subject matter was - i.e., homosexuality. In the end, what matters is that a person tried to make a point by LYING.

And on top of it, she manipulated the public into sending her thousands of dollars, out of the goodness of their hearts, to try and "right a wrong."

The wonderful part of this story is . . . folks sprang to her defense. That shows that basically, folks are caring and dont' want to see others discriminated against.

So that was a good thing.

The bad thing is that someone lied about other people and that was not only unfair, it was stupid. You can sue someone for libel when there is an out and out lie involved.

Just because this woman lied about an incident and it happened to be an incident involving gays, the rest of the gay population should not feel attacked -- they didn't do this immoral action and accuse someone of something that did not occur.

The only thing important about this story is that it shows people do care that others are treated fairly . . . and that lies can hurt others and in the end, hurt the liar.

There is no other point to be made here, imho.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:00 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm more angry about this story because this liar claims she was a US Marine, I couldn't care less if she's gay or not. This person deserves to be punished for what she did and losing her job isn't enough IMO.
I agree with you.

I hope she gets sued for libel by the couple she lied about.

And I agree - it needs to come out what type of discharge she received from the Marines . . . and stop with the madness of referring to her as a "former Marine."

Has it been proven she was not honorably discharged, btw?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree with you.

I hope she gets sued for libel by the couple she lied about.

And I agree - it needs to come out what type of discharge she received from the Marines . . . and stop with the madness of referring to her as a "former Marine."

Has it been proven she was not honorably discharged, btw?
The Marines replied that she did not fulfill her Marine Reserve obligations and stopped going to her monthly drills and that she was discharged but privacy laws prevented them from saying what kind.

Now what do you think given that she stopped attending drills ?

She wasn't full time Marines..she was Reserves..weekend warrior ..1 weekend a month and 2 weeks active duty per year.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:35 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, this is the whole point of revealing that the waitress made this up.

It doesn't matter what the subject matter was - i.e., homosexuality. In the end, what matters is that a person tried to make a point by LYING.

And on top of it, she manipulated the public into sending her thousands of dollars, out of the goodness of their hearts, to try and "right a wrong."

The wonderful part of this story is . . . folks sprang to her defense. That shows that basically, folks are caring and dont' want to see others discriminated against.

So that was a good thing.

The bad thing is that someone lied about other people and that was not only unfair, it was stupid. You can sue someone for libel when there is an out and out lie involved.

Just because this woman lied about an incident and it happened to be an incident involving gays, the rest of the gay population should not feel attacked -- they didn't do this immoral action and accuse someone of something that did not occur.

The only thing important about this story is that it shows people do care that others are treated fairly . . . and that lies can hurt others and in the end, hurt the liar.

There is no other point to be made here, imho.
I completely agree with this outside of there being no other point to be made here. In my opinion is the point about how we many times do not hold people responsible for their harmful actions. To show that something like this is not acceptable at the very least she should be fired.

Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
And 2 weeks later..the restaurant is still "investigating" with no comment.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:17 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Since the tip was on a credit card, I'm guessing the tip is put in her paycheck.
No, her tips paid on cards would be given to her at the end of her shift.

And, yes, service people are supposed to claim their tips as income. Back when I was a waitress, we were told the IRS assumed we received 8% of our sales back as tips (I suspect it's more than that now) and that we had better claim at least that - or risk them asking questions.

There may be more stringent rules now about tips; I was a waitress way back in the late 70's/early 80's.

As far as this woman, it sounds like she has some serious mental health issues that have nothing to do with her sexuality. I think we all know people, who if they told you it was raining, we'd have to look out a window to see for ourselves if it were true. My ex-husband's first wife was like that - she would lie about anything and everything; one time she was late for a court date and she told the judge she was late because the brakes went out in her car and she ran into a cop car! Easy enough to check out, which it was, and of course it didn't happen.

There is also a disease called "Münchhausen Syndrome," in which people fake illness in order to garner sympathy and attention, although by the following definition, it isn't done for financial gain:

Quote:
What is Munchausen syndrome?

Munchausen syndrome is a type of factitious disorder, or mental illness, in which a person repeatedly acts as if he or she has a physical or mental disorder when, in truth, he or she has caused the symptoms. People with factitious disorders act this way because of an inner need to be seen as ill or injured, not to achieve a concrete benefit, such as financial gain. They are even willing to undergo painful or risky tests and operations in order to get the sympathy and special attention given to people who are truly ill. Some will secretively injure themselves to cause signs like blood in the urine or cyanosis of a limb. Munchausen syndrome is a mental illness associated with severe emotional difficulties.
Munchausen Syndrome

And then there is "Munchausen by proxy," where parents will deliberately hurt their child and/or make it sick to get attention for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies