Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 01:49 PM

47 posts, read 70,212 times

Advertisements

One of the biggest reasons I can think of is the September 11th attack on the World Trade Center. Before that, not many people really talked about Muslims. They were highly associated with terrorism after that. The big thing is that often, Islamic terrorism is done to make an ideological statement, not just a personal vendetta.

Other reasons probably include the fact that they fight against Israel, and our nation considers Israel an ally. There's also women's rights issues and the feeling that they oppress women and keep them down.

Finally, the Middle East is a war-torn place, so most people think of the Arabic/Islamic culture of that area as a reason why. They're perceived as a war-like people who insist on fighting over tradition and who are incapable of compromise or forgiveness.

I'm not saying all of this is true or fair, but it's probably what people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:24 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,040,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Muslims like to blow up innocent folks, bomb jets, buildings etc. That might be one reason they think Muslims are bad. I don't see Christians or Hindus or Mormons doing this.
Ever hear of Timothy McVeigh? Terry Nichols? Ted Kaczynski? Dylan Klebold? Adam Lanza? Seung-Hui Cho? George Hennard? James E. Holmes? Eric Harris?

Last edited by slowlane3; 12-17-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-17-2013, 09:46 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,040,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
So your basic argument is, "we're from the West, and we're more advanced than you heathens"…?!

Heck, if I were a muslim and always got a steady diet of that kinda attitude from "Amurikins", I'd probably wanna start a "jihad" too!

Well - Jews are 0.2% (1/500) of the global population, but have won 22% of all Nobel prizes.

Muslims are 23% of the global population, but have won just over 1% of all Nobel prizes.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:46 PM

105 posts, read 84,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
I am not part of any religion nor I believe in anything. But I can see from other people they always think Muslim are bad people or they all have some kind of terrorists access. I know and most people do that it's not true.
Even in T.V, they always show bad side of Muslim. It's very hard to believe western news T.V says.
I have a big problem with any culture that treats women as abhorrently as they do and engages in "honor killings" on a disturbingly frequent basis.

Justice Story: 'Die, my daughter, die!' An old-world 'honor killing' in modern St. Louis - NY Daily News

Old 04-18-2014, 12:55 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,938,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Ever hear of Timothy McVeigh? Terry Nichols? Ted Kaczynski? Dylan Klebold? Adam Lanza? Seung-Hui Cho? George Hennard? James E. Holmes? Eric Harris?
Where do you get the idea that any of them were Christian, Hindu, or Mormon?

Old 04-18-2014, 01:06 PM

346 posts, read 480,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy1988 View Post
One of the biggest reasons I can think of is the September 11th attack on the World Trade Center. Before that, not many people really talked about Muslims. They were highly associated with terrorism after that. The big thing is that often, Islamic terrorism is done to make an ideological statement, not just a personal vendetta.

Other reasons probably include the fact that they fight against Israel, and our nation considers Israel an ally. There's also women's rights issues and the feeling that they oppress women and keep them down.

Finally, the Middle East is a war-torn place, so most people think of the Arabic/Islamic culture of that area as a reason why. They're perceived as a war-like people who insist on fighting over tradition and who are incapable of compromise or forgiveness.

I'm not saying all of this is true or fair, but it's probably what people think.
All true for the most part. You forgot to add that many Muslims sanction the practice of female genital mutilation.
Everything else I needed to know about Islam I learned on 9/11.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
Everything else I needed to know about Islam I learned on 9/11.
What happened on 9/11/01 had nothing to do with Islam.

As-salaam Alaikum.

Allahu Akbar.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:19 PM

Is that why the flight recorders had the hijackers praising Allah near impact?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takbir

Old 04-18-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnJam View Post
Is that why the flight recorders had the hijackers praising Allah near impact?
Allah was not pleased with the acts and did not hear their "praises".

Those infidels used Islam as a vehicle for their perverted motives.

They did not submit to Allah and thus were not Muslims.

Allahu Akbar.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:37 PM

How can you be sure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies