Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is bullying a real issue?
Yes 56 64.37%
No 29 33.33%
Other 4 4.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 08:17 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,382,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Bullies are part of life, they teach you how to deal with confrontation. If you want a cure it's simple, take away the kids cell phones and get them off the social media sites, kick them outside to play, playing is important in teaching children to get along.
Yes to everything (in moderation, of course). But do give them some exposure to social media sites so they will also know how to "play", get along, and if necessary stand up to bullies online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2013, 08:23 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,581,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Still offensive and still would have been considered sexual assault if those poor girls would have reported it no matter how many times you try to justify it.

Wrong! Todays world, maybe, but not then.
Not even a "board meeting" from the principal, in his office.

Sexual horseplay is not for the prude at heart.
There was also a day when you could keep your hunting rifle in your locker. Things sure change.

I'm not justifying anything. I'm telling you how it was.
You are trying to convict me of something we all did almost 40 years ago at Jr. High school here in Austin TX, with mommy laws passed just yesterday.

You want to make it sound as if it went unpunished. Oh, we got punished.

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-29-2013 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: off topic/personal

Old 11-28-2013, 10:57 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,872,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Bullies are part of life, they teach you how to deal with confrontation. If you want a cure it's simple, take away the kids cell phones and get them off the social media sites, kick them outside to play, playing is important in teaching children to get along.
Yes but now you are handcuffed for fighting back. I hear stories of what my father did in the 60's when he was bullied and nowadays it would end up getting you suspended from school and facing potential charges. There is not much you can do when you have your handcuffs because of laws and rules that encourage preventing "fighting back." I mean let's face it, the days of "meet me in the parking lot after school" are gone.

And bullying has gotten worse due to the boundaries that are removed from social media and cell phones. Sure, phone calls existed back in the day but the level and extent of bullying is much, much worse today. And the ways to stand up are limited.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:14 PM

32,033 posts, read 15,030,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Wrong! Todays world, maybe, but not then.
Not even a "board meeting" from the principal, in his office.

Sexual horseplay is not for the prude at heart.
There was also a day when you could keep your hunting rifle in your locker. Things sure change.

I'm not justifying anything. I'm telling you how it was.
You are trying to convict me of something we all did almost 40 years ago at Jr. High school here in Austin TX, with mommy laws passed just yesterday.

You want to make it sound as if it went unpunished. Oh, we got punished.
I think you want to justify, why you have a lack of self esteem.
I am the excuse for your problems in life?

You really have no idea what bullying does to some kids, nor do you care. If you were a bully in school then you may very well be the reason they have a lack of self esteem and other problems.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:17 PM

688 posts, read 651,931 times
I think that social media has created an entirely new and difficult challenge for bullied children to overcome. When I was in school in the 90's, if a bully called one of us a "loser" in the hallway, it was confined to us and our bullies, and then we all went home to our families. Nowadays, when a bully calls a kid "loser" or "skank" on Facebook, 300 other kids read it and their reputation is affected. For the modern child, adults just say "log-off" or "unfriend" the bully, but then the bullied kid is forced to give-up their reputation, as the bullies have a field day in front of the entire school, and that just makes the bullying worse.

It's just so much more complicated for kids these days... when I was in school, bullies had to stop at 3:00 and we all went home. Now, bullying is 24/7 and is in front of everyone.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:33 PM

329 posts, read 430,907 times
I was not a bully nor did I ever get bullied. But you knew there was a pecking order in middle and high school and you knew where you fit in to it and you kind of stayed around those in the same pecking order. The jocks hung with the jocks, the rednecks with the rednecks, the blacks with the blacks and those of us who were "the stoners" hung with other stoners. It was my experience that many of the people who got bullied were kids that were trying to hang out with a social pecking order they did not really belong in. A stoner cannot hang with a jock. A white guy could not hang with black guys. A freshman could not hang with the seniors. If you tried, they would put you back into your proper pecking order which was what we called bullying.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:44 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,764,345 times
Yes bullying is real. I was bullied most of my life up until college. I'm pretty convinced it caused some severe psychological trauma that has led to some major problems in my adult life. Bullying can destroy people's lives.

Old 11-28-2013, 11:49 PM

688 posts, read 651,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
I was not a bully nor did I ever get bullied. But you knew there was a pecking order in middle and high school and you knew where you fit in to it and you kind of stayed around those in the same pecking order. The jocks hung with the jocks, the rednecks with the rednecks, the blacks with the blacks and those of us who were "the stoners" hung with other stoners. It was my experience that many of the people who got bullied were kids that were trying to hang out with a social pecking order they did not really belong in. A stoner cannot hang with a jock. A white guy could not hang with black guys. A freshman could not hang with the seniors. If you tried, they would put you back into your proper pecking order which was what we called bullying.
I get this, but this isn't really bullying. Bullying is persistent, and follows a kid even after they've tried to make it stop; this just sounds like kids being typical jerks.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:06 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,382,672 times
Quote:
Sometimes people tried to bully me because I didn't have a "pecking order" to be in in the first place (Didn't have friends) so I was an easy target... or so they thought So I got into fights. Usually won, but the problem with being a loner (a real one) who wins fights is it only makes those quiet-natured kids who could've functioned as your "pecking order" afraid of you. This is why I didn't make fun of the goths and cliques that derived from them over the years. Loners in one group = no one's really a loner, though they get to keep all those parts of their personality that made me a loner when I was a kid. Not all the time, but pretty often.

Regardless of the reason, if you're ****ing with someone who doesn't want to be ****ed with, you're bullying them. You should be made to stop, one way or the other.

Someone mentioned that kids who stand up for themselves may get in trouble with the law. I think that's unfortunate, but it's rare enough that it won't change how I raise my son to handle bullies.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:16 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,529,841 times
Quote:
Please understand that I don't think in such terms. I have to ask this. Why should a person have to "know their place"? Why should a person have to "understand the pecking order"? Why can't a person just be? That is something I've had to struggle with. The idea of being able to just BE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies