Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times

Advertisements

Mark Twain said that man was made at the end of the week’s work when God was tired. Charles Darwin proposed that man descended from the apes, but had little hope for improvement as a species, observing: "Man scans with scrupulous care the character and pedigree of his horses, cattle, and dogs before he matches them; but when it comes to his own marriage he rarely, or never, takes any such care. . . ." Charles Darwin, Descent of Man, Ch. XXI, "General Summary and Conclusion" (1871). Twain, who was an astute observer of human nature, had some doubts about Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection, and was of opinion, that if man descended from the apes, that the apes were the "higher animals". See Mark Twain, The Damned Human Race (1916); republished as Letters from the Earth (1962). Either way you want to look at it, we don’t come out looking very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 07:34 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
I can buy the whole alien thing much easier than I buy some imaginary sky god creating us all in his image. Personally I think they are one and the same, though. After 1000's of years fact gets turned into myth... who knows.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
New controversy from the tabloids...According to the Daily Fail, htat humanity are aliens and Earth is a prison planet we have been stuck on.

Ellis Silver's proof is that humans get sunburn, and we have bad backs.

Humans do NOT come from Earth - and sunburn, bad backs and pain during labour prove it, expert claims | Mail Online

This kind of crap is hilarious. I wonder which mail order diploma mill he got his degree from, since the Daily Fail calls him a PhD....yet he had to drop that Dr. from his Amazon page.
Since our genetic evolution is no secret, obviously the first single-cell organisms were already aliens sent to Earth, right?
Interestingly, that could even be the case, not that they were sent here of course, but that they accidentally got here via some asteroid or other object that crashed onto Earth a terrible long time ago. Some scientists do have that theory...

Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
But then how did the organisms get on the asteroid? Was it a from a planet that exploded? Even then, how did that planet have living organi? Was it seeded by an asteroid as well? How did they survive millions or billions of yrs in the vacuum of space before arriving here? Why can't people just accept the reality that we evolved here in entirety just like every single life form known. What drives this need for an external source, whether it be God or aliens? It makes no sense to me.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:24 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
there is the theory that ancient aliens, those that our ancestors call gods, actually manipulated the genetic code of early mans ancestors to improve the breed by speeding up the evolution of man. and since the aliens started with very early primates, it would presume that is the reason why man shares 98% of our DNA with simians.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
But then how did the organisms get on the asteroid? Was it a from a planet that exploded? Even then, how did that planet have living organi? Was it seeded by an asteroid as well? How did they survive millions or billions of yrs in the vacuum of space before arriving here? Why can't people just accept the reality that we evolved here in entirety just like every single life form known. What drives this need for an external source, whether it be God or aliens? It makes no sense to me.
I don't think scientists want to find an extraterrestrial origin, but they can't rule it out, either, that would also be considered an agenda.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there is the theory that ancient aliens, those that our ancestors call gods, actually manipulated the genetic code of early mans ancestors to improve the breed by speeding up the evolution of man. and since the aliens started with very early primates, it would presume that is the reason why man shares 98% of our DNA with simians.

Sounds like Däniken

Old 12-03-2013, 11:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sounds like Däniken
and others. i am not sure i necessarily buy into the theory, but it is intriguing.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think scientists want to find an extraterrestrial origin, but they can't rule it out, either, that would also be considered an agenda.
Exactly.

People used to think that the Sun revolved around the Earth, end of story, no need to look at the heavens and questions. Then evidence was found that contradicted that. So far all of the evidence says we evolved on Earth, but no one knows exactly how it happened that long ago. We have certainly found the hows through repeated experimentation.

When evidence is found, then it can be considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and others. i am not sure i necessarily buy into the theory, but it is intriguing.
Däniken was the first really widely published proponent. Immanuel Velikovsky preceeded him, but he was more obviously out of his mind by writing books about the planets randomly flying aroud the solar system at their whims.

It's an interesting idea, but Däniken's books are a fraud and he is a lunatic felon. The idea is great for Star Trek and sci fi plots, but anything even remotely equating it to real science has proven to be issues coming from a problem mind.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:49 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Hey, look at us, we are the intergalactic version of early Australia.

Good on ya, mate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies