Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:43 AM

72,835 posts, read 62,209,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So when someone is car jacked, do you think we should stop making cars and roads? If someone gets robbed walking down the street, should we get rid of sidewalks too?
And in addition, there have been many cities that do mass transit very well.

I am going to give my own experience. I got jumped and robbed one night, in the suburbs of Atlanta. MARTA doesn't go to that suburb. The persons who did this to me happened to be Black males. I am a Black male myself. This was Black on Black violence. These fools didn't come off of a bus. They were in a car, an old model car from the earl-mid 1990s(this happened in 2007). Last month, a Black woman shot and murdered a White female in a confrontation. No public transportation. The woman who committed the murder was driving.

And when I lived in a place where there are hardly any sidewalks, it didn't stop a White male from shooting me with a paintball gun.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:46 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,508,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
no crime does not happen. we do the crime or support the criminal behavior or we resist but does it happen on its own? no. we are all one. stuff "happens" bek we let it.
now you get it. we are all one and non criminal riders of public transit deserve the opportunity to get out of their crime ridden areas for jobs, groceries, shopping, etc. they don't deserved to be victimized twice (by the criminals and then by the system) just because they are poor.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:17 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,732,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So basically your argument is,if the news doesnt report it, then it doesnt matter.

Dude, white kids in my town brawl on dirt roads and in Wal Mart parking lot on a frequent basis. Fighting is not exclusive to one race,neither is shootings. The reason you dont here about white on white shootings is because it isnt politicized. Your comment seems to be more of a case of "you never looked". And your argument about Major cities is misleading. Those shootings are always in poverty area, not black. The same goes for small towns, even majority white ones. violence is tied to poverty not race.

Quote:

And what exactly does that BS mean that middle class black people
dont do enough to separate themselves from the underclass ?

Are you saying that anyone who is poor is automatically a bad person ??????? You are judging an entire economic group and race by what less than 1% of it's population is doing !!!!!
BS, Really? Where I lived for 12 years there were projects about 10 blocks from me, (the underclass) mostly black. Around these projects are homes, mostly black. Go to any town in my area and anywhere you find projects, you will find homes around them and guess what, all black populated. My point is, why would any one want to live around or raise their kids anywhere near the projects. High crime and drugs should be enough to keep one away. If I was black, I would want to live far away from the ghetto.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
And in addition, there have been many cities that do mass transit very well.

I am going to give my own experience. I got jumped and robbed one night, in the suburbs of Atlanta. MARTA doesn't go to that suburb. The persons who did this to me happened to be Black males. I am a Black male myself. This was Black on Black violence. These fools didn't come off of a bus. They were in a car, an old model car from the earl-mid 1990s(this happened in 2007). Last month, a Black woman shot and murdered a White female in a confrontation. No public transportation. The woman who committed the murder was driving.

And when I lived in a place where there are hardly any sidewalks, it didn't stop a White male from shooting me with a paintball gun.
There was a shooting several years ago at the local mall, the first thing the authorities did was stop the bus transportation to the mall from the local ghetto. Go figure.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
There was a shooting several years ago at the local mall, the first thing the authorities did was stop the bus transportation to the mall from the local ghetto. Go figure.
In my experience, stopping transportation won't stop the crime from coming in. I learned that living in some parts of metro Atlanta. Where I lived, the crime started increasing between 1998 and 2005. People moved in from other places, with cars. There was no mass transit. Didn't stop criminals. A criminal can steal a car. I have neighbor who has a family member in prison. What his family member did(while he was living there) was rob a pizza place at gun point.

This past week, there was a bank robbery near where my brother goes to college. No mass transit. The robbers had a car.

And in my own experiences, the time I got jumped and robbed, the criminals had a car. They didn't come from a bus.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
BS, Really? Where I lived for 12 years there were projects about 10 blocks from me, (the underclass) mostly black. Around these projects are homes, mostly black. Go to any town in my area and anywhere you find projects, you will find homes around them and guess what, all black populated. My point is, why would any one want to live around or raise their kids anywhere near the projects. High crime and drugs should be enough to keep one away. If I was black, I would want to live far away from the ghetto.
And guess what, Black people with the means get as far away from the projects as they can. I don't know a single Black person who lives in the projects.

And there is something else to consider. You live in the PGH area. That is home to one of the poorest Black populations in the USA. Pittsburgh has one of the highest Black unemployment rates in the nation. And many Blacks who are talented have left Pittsburgh for places such as DC and Atlanta. I've mentioned that before, and no one seems to want to talk about that part. And this is why I bring it up. If one is to complain about the underclass segment of the Black population,it would make sense that the Blacks one would want in a place are those who work hard, who are talented, and who are considered exemplary. However, what I'm seeing is a large part of the educated Black population and the professional class leaving for cities like DC and Atlanta. And somehow, not one discusses that part.

http://www.ucsur.pitt.edu/files/frp/95summary.htm

Old 11-29-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
In my experience, stopping transportation won't stop the crime from coming in. I learned that living in some parts of metro Atlanta. Where I lived, the crime started increasing between 1998 and 2005. People moved in from other places, with cars. There was no mass transit. Didn't stop criminals. A criminal can steal a car. I have neighbor who has a family member in prison. What his family member did(while he was living there) was rob a pizza place at gun point.

This past week, there was a bank robbery near where my brother goes to college. No mass transit. The robbers had a car.

And in my own experiences, the time I got jumped and robbed, the criminals had a car. They didn't come from a bus.
Can't stop the cars, but but busses are another story and one thing I noticed is, the underclass use mass transit.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Can't stop the cars, but but busses are another story and one thing I noticed is, the underclass use mass transit.
In certain neighborhoods, yes, you find the underclass on buses. You can also find underclass people scratching and scraping for cars, or even doing other things to get a car. In some places, like NYC and Chicago, regular people, who aren't underclass, use the mass transit.

If the buses get taken away, criminals can find other ways. Some criminals steal cars.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
And guess what, Black people with the means get as far away from the projects as they can. I don't know a single Black person who lives in the projects.

And there is something else to consider. You live in the PGH area. That is home to one of the poorest Black populations in the USA. Pittsburgh has one of the highest Black unemployment rates in the nation. And many Blacks who are talented have left Pittsburgh for places such as DC and Atlanta. I've mentioned that before, and no one seems to want to talk about that part. And this is why I bring it up. If one is to complain about the underclass segment of the Black population,it would make sense that the Blacks one would want in a place are those who work hard, who are talented, and who are considered exemplary. However, what I'm seeing is a large part of the educated Black population and the professional class leaving for cities like DC and Atlanta. And somehow, not one discusses that part.

98summary
You are right, why is it when middle class black folks move, the underclass seem to follow? If I was black, I would want them as far away as possible, but it is not the case. This is why white folks get nervous when blacks start populating all white areas.

Old 11-29-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
You are right, why is it when middle class black folks move, the underclass seem to follow? If I was black, I would want them as far away as possible, but it is not the case. This is why white folks get nervous when blacks start populating all white areas.
I don't know why the underclass follows Black people. The only theory I can come up with is that when a few Blacks move into a certain area, some people don't want any Blacks around and leave, sometimes selling the houses at a loss. Property values drop and then there is a higher chance of the underclass moving in. Sometimes all that has to happen is for one Black family to move in, and for a few people not wanting them around, not realizing that if you sell the property at a loss, that lowers the property values.

I was also told that "exclusivity" makes property values high. In short, some people don't want any Blacks around, good or bad.

And there has been a history of Whites not wanting Blacks around from the old days of this nation, so I have to consider that. There have been incidents where Blacks moved into certain places and got harassed, even their homes got vandalized.

And one must take this into consideration. How far away can a Black family move before
1) Having a 3 hour commute
2) Having to consider whether or not they would be welcomed.

And no one has addressed the situation I mentioned about Pittsburgh. I consider it very important. I am seeing a similar pattern taking place in other cities, with the talented and professional Blacks leaving certain cities and relocating to other parts of the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies