Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:20 AM

30,023 posts, read 18,596,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yes, we need more poor people to increase demand in order to get our economy back on track.
Unfortunately, this is actually how liberals think. It is like "opposite day" when you were a kid. I have often thought that being a liberal must be like being stoned all day- common sense is vacated and simply concepts are unable to be processed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 06:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
We can begin to have that conversation when you sincerely agree with the overriding prioritization rather than simply looking for an excuse to deflect away from it.
I don't know what you mean by "sincerely" except to think that it means "agree with you".
Quote:
Regardless, the reality is that when there is patient in critical condition medical professionals always do two things (1) stabilize the patient, and then (2) apply remediation to prevent recurrence.
I don't disagree though the patient has to be willing to accept said remediation as an example stop drinking alcohol to excess, stop filling ones face with fast food, stop filling ones nose with drugs or smoking whatever one is smoking. You also have to agree that there's some people who will never be "saved" because they don't want to be. You also have to agree that there are people that just don't want to be productive because they don't have to be.

Quote:
Right-wingers want to skip to step 2 ignoring step (1), probably because they aren't willing to care enough about the immediate victims of the problem to address the suffering imposed on them by the problem, or because doing so would adversely impact their comparatively petty concerns about their own comfort and luxury.
In order to have any chance of fixing the issue you need to get past the huge generalization you posted above. Sure there are some that think as you describe on BOTH sides of the political spectrum though for different reasons. Figuring out what those reasons are is the challenge. Do they want to toss money at the problem because they care or just want to remain in power. Do they want to withhold money because they're selfish and don't care or is there a better way than just tossing money at the issue. What floors me is the amount of people on BOTH sides that slavishly follow the dogma of their respective "leaders". I'm sorry but I can't believe after being in discussions with many larger groups of people and seeing how their opinions differ that all those in the respective political groups actually believe the line their party is touting without question.
Talk about group think.
Quote:
So that's the answer: You do both. We're not going to eradicate poverty, and surely not overnight, but we do have an obligation to redress the impacts of poverty on satisfaction of basic needs, while we're seeking out solutions that better achieve full employment with living wage jobs.
Here's a couple of problems that pop up when you "satisfy" basic needs. First, what is a basic need? Is it food or housing or medical or all of them? Is having a phone,car,internet and tv a basic need? There's those that think so.
The other problem is if you provide "basic" needs without requiring something from the recipient then what encourages or motivates said recipient to take care of themselves (if they're able) so you don't end up with a few working and a bunch just taking?
One needs to figure out this last issue before opening the money spigot as that faucet is almost impossible to shut off once opened. Basically, make people comfortable doing nothing and many will fight to remain doing nothing.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:08 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,823,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"It is axiomatic that a president who screws over half the population of the country in the most personal way cannot be regarded tenderly by history. By in effect imposing a massive tax increase disguised as health insurance cost increases, after promising that health care costs would go down, he risks what I have dubbed the Obamacare Recession hitting the country hard next year. Families are going to have cut spending on all sorts of discretionary purchases, and restaurants, hard goods producers, housing, and almost all other sectors of the economy are going to be hit hard"
Read more: Blog: Common Core third grade book goes full Dear Leader on Obama

There can be no doubt that the above will prove to be true. When the government demands so much more of your personal income (with you getting nothing in return) the effect it will have on the economy is obvious.

Fewer dollars in circulation to buy goods and services. We will all be hurting. And, the Democrats cannot call it the Bush recession any longer. They own it entirely.

The rest of the above linked article will make you just as sick.

Looks like it's off to a good start. UE rate now 7%....

Old 12-06-2013, 11:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Brought down to that level by your friend and mine... Part time jobs! Pop the champagne, we're SAVED!

Old 12-06-2013, 12:02 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,747,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I don't even believe it. I know so many out of work or only working 29.5 hours per week.

This government has shown they are not above lying about facts and figures. I don't put it past them to be lying about this either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies