Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Not being concerned with the future generations is the primary characteristic of modern day "conservatives". These people have made conservative the equivalent of "monomaniacal selfishness."
That's why conservatives have been saying we need to balance the budget so that we don't saddle future generations with debt, while liberals have consistently voted against it. That's why conservatives have been saying we need to reform our entitlement programs so that they are sustainable longterm while liberals have voted against every attempt to modify them. Because not being concerned with future generations is the primary characteristic of conservatives. Sure thing.
Quote:
The quotes from Che Guevara can be applied to any fanatical group from Muslim Fanatics to Christian Crusaders. They are also the thoughts of a homicidal maniac. Most fanatics of any kind believe killing and not convincing their opposition is the simpler way to succeed. It sometimes works but not for long. For example Cuba would have had a counter revolution a long time ago if we had not insisted in supporting the current regime with our absurd embargo and other stupid policies.
Cuba did have a revolution a long time ago, but the Democrat in office reneged on his promised support of it.
Quote:
The idea that everyone in our country can "improve their situation" is a bad joke. Once born to deep poverty it is nearly impossible to get to even the well off level. It is far more likely for a rich kid to become a really rich adult than a really impoverished kid to even get a job that pays enough to provide room and board.
And you can thank liberals for that. Upward mobility has declined under the welfare state the Democrats established. Unemployment has risen under the welfare state Democrats established. The income gap has widened under the welfare state that Democrats established.

Try looking past the simpleton rhetoric that politicians give the cameras to the actual economics sometime.

Welfare states don't lift people out of poverty. They enable them to live in perpetual poverty. A permanent underclass is the result of every welfare state in existence. High structural unemployment is the result of every welfare state in existence.
Quote:
This country can improve itself but will not be able to do so under the blanket of repressive conservatism.
Conservatism is what built this country. This is a huge blind spot in liberal thinking. And a bait and switch the average person is falling for. It's "look at how bad women had it in the 1950s, so we need to raise corporate taxes today". They associate conservatives purely with the social discrimination of the past. They ignore the rapid upward mobility, the lower crime, the better education, the cheaper healthcare, the stable families, the low deficits, etc.

They say we have to follow liberal policies going forward because look at what a mess conservative policies have gotten us into. But the thing is we haven't been following conservative policies for decades now. We've already been following liberal policies. Just because the man in the White House had an "R" next to his name does not mean the nation was charting a conservative course. The last time America was conservative was the day the bullet hit JFK. Then Reagan managed to slow the march to liberalism for a short time. Beyond that, we have had 50 years of big government.

It is true that racial discrimination has declined. I don't deny that. But every other social ill has skyrocketed. If we'd had targeted policies to end the discrimination without creating a culture of dependency then we'd be in a much better position today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Not being concerned with the future generations is the primary characteristic of modern day "conservatives". These people have made conservative the equivalent of "monomaniacal selfishness."

The quotes from Che Guevara can be applied to any fanatical group from Muslim Fanatics to Christian Crusaders. They are also the thoughts of a homicidal maniac. Most fanatics of any kind believe killing and not convincing their opposition is the simpler way to succeed. It sometimes works but not for long. For example Cuba would have had a counter revolution a long time ago if we had not insisted in supporting the current regime with our absurd embargo and other stupid policies.

The idea that everyone in our country can "improve their situation" is a bad joke. Once born to deep poverty it is nearly impossible to get to even the well off level. It is far more likely for a rich kid to become a really rich adult than a really impoverished kid to even get a job that pays enough to provide room and board.

This country can improve itself but will not be able to do so under the blanket of repressive conservatism.
Not to mention that trying to force a system on another country by any means such as embargoes is totalitarian in itself. If a country wants to be communist or whatever, it is their business as long as they don't attack other countries. If people in another country don't want their government and system anymore, they will sooner or later get rid of it themselves. Embargoes should be considered crimes against humanity as they always target the wrong people, innocent people, who often have a hard time already without embargoes. Just look at North Korea, we isolated that country, and people are now so isolated and cut off from the world that they think their weird government is to be defended.

Old 12-02-2013, 10:31 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Growth varies a lot depending on the region. Europe, Russia and North America are the regions with the slowest growth, stagnation or even negative growth, but those countries account for only 1/6th of the world population. In many parts of Africa, the Muslim world and SE Asia growth is still 3 percent or more.

See, that is problem. The world is not only about you or me, we have to think centuries and millenniums ahead today if we are responsible humans.
The birthrates are still DROPPING even in those breeder places. Sheesh!

Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
The birthrates are still DROPPING even in those breeder places. Sheesh!
As long as they are higher than what is needed to merely maintain the size of a population they are still too high, regardless whether they are rising or dropping. Thus the population will keep increasing in absolute terms.

It is a huge dilemma around the world: Either people are poor and have lots of children, or they cease to be poor and have fewer children, but not being poor usually also means living much longer than in the past. I.e. the choice is between population growth and overaging.

Last edited by Neuling; 12-02-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 12-02-2013, 11:21 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Sounds like a Tea Party manifesto to me. Violence, unquestioning dedication to a principle and quashing all dissent, refusal to compromise, ignoring any damages (including human) that may occur as a result of their actions, promoting carrying of firearms and the joy of killing, and racism.

All the high points.
Ewwwww! How embarassing! I hope the next effort goes a little better for you.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
As long as they are higher than what is needed to merely maintain the size of a population they are still too high, regardless whether they are rising or dropping. Thus the population will keep increasing in absolute terms.

It is a huge dilemma around the world: Either people are poor and have lots of children, or they cease to be poor and have fewer children, but not being poor usually also means living much longer than in the past. I.e. the choice is between population growth and overaging.
Remember that wars and trouble in general are a YOUNG dude's thing; older people DON'T like to fight unless cornered.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:29 PM

26,488 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Knew a girl in college who wore a Che T-shirt. Don't remember much besides that except excellent BJs.
Stay a classy poster.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:01 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Just look at North Korea, we isolated that country, and people are now so isolated and cut off from the world that they think their weird government is to be defended.
You probably need to read up on the topic a bit more. That's about one step shy of believing George Washington road dinosaurs into battle versus the british and slew them with his light-sabre.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Remember that wars and trouble in general are a YOUNG dude's thing; older people DON'T like to fight unless cornered.
I am not so sure about that, I wish it were. But look at the hawks in various governments and countries, they are usually older men...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You probably need to read up on the topic a bit more. That's about one step shy of believing George Washington road dinosaurs into battle versus the british and slew them with his light-sabre.
I don't see any analogy. I don't see anything wrong with what I wrote...

Old 12-03-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
I am not so sure about that, I wish it were. But look at the hawks in various governments and countries, they are usually older men...

I don't see any analogy. I don't see anything wrong with what I wrote...
It takes "foot soldiers" to really push things; if not enough rowdy young dudes, no 1 listens to the older guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies