Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,257,182 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know the name or location of the school where this bake sale took place? I can't find any other stories on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,470,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It's my impression that many Republicans and conservatives burn with a red hot seething hatred of people who don't agree with them.
So do many Democrats.
Quote:
What a nasty intolerant bunch.
So are Democrats.
Quote:
When I was in college there were both a Young Democrats and College Republicans club but there wasn't this kind of hyper-partisan BS going around. We disagreed on political candidates for public office and that was pretty much it.
The nation is getting more polarized and colleges are following suit. It's only going to get worse.

It will eventually get bad enough that the people at large get tired of it and then it will fade away. Politicians want to get elected. They will say and do whatever will get them elected.

A month ago, when public opinion was against Republicans, the Democrats voted down a continuing resolution which would have delayed Obamacare for a year and opened up the government. They called the Republicans economic terrorists and anarchists.

Now, with public opinion trending against Obamacare, Democrats have proposed delaying Obamacare.

We are right now experiencing a stark example of politicians simply doing whatever they think will make them popular. You saw a similar thing with Republicans last year following the election. There was a lot of talk on the Republican side about immigration when they thought the hispanic vote had cost them the election. Many of them were perfectly willing to reverse their stance on immigration if it meant getting more votes. Which means they never really had a principled stance on the issue to begin with.

Given how this works, the political climate will moderate as soon as hyper-partisanship no longer works. When the candidates making fiery speeches condemning their opponents start losing elections, then we will see politicians stop being so partisan. And when the politicians stop being so partisan, their bases will stop being so partisan.
Quote:
Whoever would leave such stupid, obnoxious and hateful comments about a college Bake Sale for one of the two major political parties should be ashamed of themselves.
I disagree. There were very few personal attacks in the comments. The attacks were on Democrat policies, not on the person holding the bake sale. The college kids screaming at Petraeus that he was a scumbag were being obnoxious and hateful. Leaving a comment on a facebook page saying you could force them to buy a brownie and tax them if they don't want one isn't hateful or obnoxious. It's really rather tame. There's worse stuff said on this forum every day.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:57 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,883,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
I'm wondering if this Facebook posting is a fake? I can't find any information on this story.
As I said on the first page, I'm sure it's fake. There's no event, location, school, or people tagged... every single response is a one-line zinger; lame, but funny by republican standards...

Old 11-29-2013, 10:39 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,470,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
Do you know the location of this school? I can't find any other stories other than the link the OP provided and it gives no information at all.
University of Oregon. I did a little research to see if it is fake or not. Couldn't tell. I found a copy of the post without all the particulars redacted and they do check out - the person who supposedly posted it is a real U of O College Democrat. But whether someone just took one of the posts and edited it, I don't know. I checked the calendar of events of the location where the bake sale was supposedly held, and there was an environmentalist book signing going on at the location mentioned in the facebook post at the same time, so it would be a good place and time to hold a bake sale. But the U of O College Democrats site doesn't mention it. I'm not going to post a link to what I found because I don't want to be a party to perpetrating it if it is a hoax. The kid in question doesn't deserve to be used as a joke if it's fake.

Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,257,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
University of Oregon. I did a little research to see if it is fake or not. Couldn't tell. I found a copy of the post without all the particulars redacted and they do check out - the person who supposedly posted it is a real U of O College Democrat. But whether someone just took one of the posts and edited it, I don't know. I checked the calendar of events of the location where the bake sale was supposedly held, and there was an environmentalist book signing going on at the location mentioned in the facebook post at the same time, so it would be a good place and time to hold a bake sale. But the U of O College Democrats site doesn't mention it. I'm not going to post a link to what I found because I don't want to be a party to perpetrating it if it is a hoax. The kid in question doesn't deserve to be used as a joke if it's fake.
I couldn't find anything about it.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:21 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,145,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
It's my impression that many Republicans and conservatives burn with a red hot seething hatred of people who don't agree with them. What a nasty intolerant bunch.
Are you serious?

I could provide you with MANY examples of Democrats fitting exactly what you described, but I only need a single name to prove my point: Sarah Palin.

I don't know if it's hypocrisy or ignorance that drove you to write the above, but either way, you need a serious education on what "nasty and intolerant" looks like.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:29 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,302,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
When was anybody attacked for selling things? Last time I checked, democrats attacked someone for NOT selling things, like a cake for a gay wedding.
This girl is just paying the price for the stupidity of other Dems and/or liberals. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/03/ny...sale.html?_r=0

Bake sale ban in Massachusetts sparks outcries over 'food police' - CSMonitor.com

PTAs and bake sales: Why volunteering at your kid’s school does not make her smarter.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:38 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,340,403 times
They certainly are.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,747,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The comments show a total lack of understanding of the Democratic Party. Most of those jags think the Dems oppose capitalism and embrace communism. John Kennedy is rolling over in his grave.

Obama's SEIU And Communists So Happy Together At LA Protest | Blue Collar PhilosophyBlue Collar Philosophy

Obama's SEIU And Communists So Happy Together At LA Protest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCBk9ip7AjE

Last edited by Greg_IA; 12-01-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 12-01-2013, 09:09 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,841 times
Wow conservatives are sore losers aren't they.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies