Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 10:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterno View Post
I wonder what would happen to marriages overall. Just think about having as many as restaurants as brothels in your city. All free competition all legal and all controlled by department of health in your city.

So no HIV worries at all. Any women can start their own business and prices are set freely.

Would this cause a moral societal collapse?
sorry, your reasoning is way off base. I could care less if they legalize it, but if you think it would have any impact on HIV, marriages, or much of anything else. The one thing would probably be, more tax $$s flowing into the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 10:12 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,051,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I guess you haven't read the thread. There will always be people who desire that which cannot be made legal in a civilized society. There will be a black market on child prostitution, for instance. There will be a black market on women who can be permanently owned and even on women who can be killed without consequence.

There will always be people who desire that which cannot be made legal in a civilized society.
Ignoring your passive-aggressive opening sentence, I don't disagree with your assertion that there will always be black markets. There is a black market for stolen electronics. This doesn't mean that we should make it illegal for a merchants to sell electronics which they have obtained legally.

If you study the effects of the changes in Sweden's prostitution laws, you'll find that reports of sexual trafficking and underage prostitution have gone down. No one there actually believes that the numbers of trafficked and underage prostitutes have diminished. They just aren't in open view. Prior to Sweden's change in the law, the primary source for reports of suspected trafficking and underage prostitution came form the customers of prostitutes. That doesn't happen any more because those customers are legally defined as criminals. Whatever the culture and whatever the commodity; people who are involved in, or are peripherally related to activities which are illegal, are less likely to become involved.

You seem to be equating sexual slavery and the sexual exploitation of minors, with consenting adults who choose to trade sexual services for money. I don't know of anyone seeking to legalize the former. Yes, there will always be a black market for exploitative sexual services. However, we don't need to make it easier for perpetrators by diverting resources to the persecution and prosecution of consensual adult sexual behavior.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:19 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Ignoring your passive-aggressive opening sentence, I don't disagree with your assertion that there will always be black markets. There is a black market for stolen electronics. This doesn't mean that we should make it illegal for a merchants to sell electronics which they have obtained legally.

If you study the effects of the changes in Sweden's prostitution laws, you'll find that reports of sexual trafficking and underage prostitution have gone down. No one there actually believes that the numbers of trafficked and underage prostitutes have diminished. They just aren't in open view. Prior to Sweden's change in the law, the primary source for reports of suspected trafficking and underage prostitution came form the customers of prostitutes. That doesn't happen any more because those customers are legally defined as criminals. Whatever the culture and whatever the commodity; people who are involved in, or are peripherally related to activities which are illegal, are less likely to become involved.

You seem to be equating sexual slavery and the sexual exploitation of minors, with consenting adults who choose to trade sexual services for money. I don't know of anyone seeking to legalize the former. Yes, there will always be a black market for exploitative sexual services. However, we don't need to make it easier for perpetrators by diverting resources to the persecution and prosecution of consensual adult sexual behavior.
There was nothing passive about my opening statement.

You had said:

"It is the fact that prostitution is illegal which gives rise to the relative ease of human trafficking, underage prostitution, exploitation by pimps, and the risk of encountering abusive and sadistic customers."

Making prostitution legal will not eliminate--by a long shot--human trafficking, underage prostitution, exploitation by pimps, or the risk of encountering abusive and sadistic customers. It is not true that "the fact that prostitution is illegal" makes the other easier.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There was nothing passive about my opening statement.

You had said:

"It is the fact that prostitution is illegal which gives rise to the relative ease of human trafficking, underage prostitution, exploitation by pimps, and the risk of encountering abusive and sadistic customers."

Making prostitution legal will not eliminate--by a long shot--human trafficking, underage prostitution, exploitation by pimps, or the risk of encountering abusive and sadistic customers. It is not true that "the fact that prostitution is illegal" makes the other easier.
1--There is a distinction between consensual adult prostitution (the only kind of prostitution anyone here is arguing should be legalized) and prostitution which utilizes underage and/or trafficked individuals.

2--I've not argued that legalizing consensual adult prostitution will "eliminate" exploitative forms of prostitution. In fact I have agreed with you that the black market for such prostitution will remain.

3--The massive amount of resources devoted to apprehend and prosecute those engaging in consensual adult prostitution are, be default, not available to apprehend and prosecute those who are involved in underage and trafficked prostitutes. The focus placed on consensual adult prostitution allows these individuals to fly under the radar of law enforcement and prosecution.

4--Diverting the resources currently directed at consensual adult prostitution, to the investigation of sexual trafficking and underage prostitution, will almost certainly reduce those forms of prostitution.

5--Don't be so obtuse. If you are opposed to the idea of adults being allowed to choose freely whether or not to engage in prostitution activity, say so. Don't obscure the subject by connecting it to activities we all agree should remain illegal.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:49 AM

878 posts, read 942,168 times
I don't care. It should be legalized. Just like drugs.

You morals pushers need to sit down, shut up, and then move to Somalia. NO GOVERNMENT!

Old 11-30-2013, 11:34 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I don't think the demand would be there.
That's a joke, right?

There's more demand for prostitution than there is for sliced bread. You just can't say it out loud.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:43 AM

904 posts, read 687,695 times
Quote:
I wonder what would happen to marriages overall. Just think about having as many as restaurants as brothels in your city. All free competition all legal and all controlled by department of health in your city.

So no HIV worries at all. Any women can start their own business and prices are set freely.

Go to Nevada.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:50 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:

Nothing would happen, other than the diverting of resources the gov uses to combat against it.

Nothing will happen to marriages; a guy is going to cheat whether with a prostitute or not, and despite the laws against prostitution, prostitutes can easily found about everywhere.

There are plenty of single (and married) women looking for sex hovering around bars and such, I see no difference between them (for free or a few drinks), and someone who just skips the dog and pony show and says the price up front.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOBama View Post
Go to Nevada.
Prostitution in Nevada is heavily controlled by the state. It's a great deal for the state and for the brothel owners. It can be very profitable for those sex workers who are willing to tolerate the regulation of their activities. It's not an ideal structure for sex workers who want to control their own environment; or for customers, who pay artificially-inflated prices due to the fees taken by the state and by the owners of the licensed brothels.

Las Vegas, where prostitution is not legal, is one of the most aggressive cities in the country in terms if prostitution stings. Perhaps because of the high degree of convention/tourist business, but also because it helps to protect the economic interests the state and the brothel owners have in the nearby licensed brothels.

Old 11-30-2013, 12:18 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tele-Cat View Post
I don't care. It should be legalized. Just like drugs.

You morals pushers need to sit down, shut up, and then move to Somalia. NO GOVERNMENT!
You say no government while asking for the government to take over regulating drugs and prostitution Hmmm... Hmmmm.... Interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies