Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:45 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There is no "everyone must go to college" mindset. The anti-education mindset of the RW is what needs to be repudiated. In case you didn't notice, there are not a lot of manufacturing jobs left in the US. We have to come up with a new model.
PolitiFact | Rick Santorum calls Barack Obama a 'snob' for wanting 'everybody in America to go to college'
Romney also mocked Obama for going to Harvard. Guess where Romney went?
Harvard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Romney also mocked Obama for going to Harvard. Guess where Romney went?
Harvard.
Romney was a straight A student at Harvard undergraduate and business school. Obama not so much.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:09 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
There is no RW anti education mindset. There is a reason that learning a trade well requires an apprenticeship or trade school-it's math, physics, engineering, hydraulics, aerodynamics. And it's not all about factory jobs, someone has to keep the water running, the lights on, the gas flowing and the s*** running downhill. Your average college drone doesn't know that so they look down their noses at the lineman and wonder why he can't get the power on right now while they sit in the dark contemplating their navels.

Google failed me on the exact quote but it goes somewhat like this-a society that looks down on plumbing and looks up at philosophy will find themselves without good plumbing or philosophy.

Not everyone wants or needs a full on college degree. That's not LW or RW, but the LW seems less accepting of alternatives.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Can it keep the jobs from going to other countries?

Apparently not.
Yeah...it kinda does.

The Germans produce outside of Germany, but they almost never close a German facility to move manufacturing elsewhere. They're not interested in putting existing German workers out of a job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Notice the jobs for the german company are in South Carolina, not in Germany or the NE or West Coast US.

Guess why.
Lots of reasons.

But no matter where they produce in the U.S., it'll be cheaper than producing at home.

But they still do the Lion's share of their production back home. It's hard to beat the German workforce productivity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Romney was a straight A student at Harvard undergraduate and business school. Obama not so much.
So. Romney still lost. Way to get those A's though.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah...it kinda does.

The Germans produce outside of Germany, but they almost never close a German facility to move manufacturing elsewhere. They're not interested in putting existing German workers out of a job.

Lots of reasons.

But no matter where they produce in the U.S., it'll be cheaper than producing at home.

But they still do the Lion's share of their production back home. It's hard to beat the German workforce productivity.

So. Romney still lost. Way to get those A's though.
No shame in losing these days. Americans now elect their leaders much like they select their American Idol winners. Vapid, empty characters with a winning smile will usually defeat others with real leadership qualities such as Romney in this environment.

This is why Chris Christie can win in New Jersey. These days it's about the packaging not the substance.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
There is no RW anti education mindset. There is a reason that learning a trade well requires an apprenticeship or trade school-it's math, physics, engineering, hydraulics, aerodynamics. And it's not all about factory jobs, someone has to keep the water running, the lights on, the gas flowing and the s*** running downhill. Your average college drone doesn't know that so they look down their noses at the lineman and wonder why he can't get the power on right now while they sit in the dark contemplating their navels.

Google failed me on the exact quote but it goes somewhat like this-a society that looks down on plumbing and looks up at philosophy will find themselves without good plumbing or philosophy.

Not everyone wants or needs a full on college degree. That's not LW or RW, but the LW seems less accepting of alternatives.
I don't know if Katiana read the article or watched the video. If she did she would see that the program in question was selective and not open to all students. I've always said aptitude/IQ tests would be a great way to filter people who just want decent jobs without going to college.

College was never designed as a job training mechanism except for a few professions (ie law, medicine)

Old 12-01-2013, 12:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
No shame in losing these days. Americans now elect their leaders much like they select their American Idol winners. Vapid, empty characters with a winning smile will usually defeat others with real leadership qualities such as Romney in this environment.

This is why Chris Christie can win in New Jersey. These days it's about the packaging not the substance.
No shame in losing? That's a new one.

If you could get an empty, vapid GOP candidate in the White House, you'll take it. In fact, you just tried it in 2012.
Quote:
I don't know if Katiana read the article or watched the video. If she did she would see that the program in question was selective and not open to all students. I've always said aptitude/IQ tests would be a great way to filter people who just want decent jobs without going to college.

College was never designed as a job training mechanism except for a few professions (ie law, medicine)
Nothing wrong with people going to college if if they aren't 'college material' so to speak. Going to college is better than not going. At least it shows that one wants to learn more.

I just don't get why people on CD are constantly ripping people for wanting to go to college. If they don't get anything out of it, they'll quit and move on. But they'll still be better off for learning things that they didn't previously know.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
You know this how? Romney never released his transcripts. Obama was editor of the Harvard Law Review, a position which requires one to be a little smarter than the average Harvard student.

Quote:

I've posted the education requirements for these various trades so often, but just to satisfy those who think it's not involved, I'll post it again.

Electricians : Occupational Outlook Handbook : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Please work your way through this whole thing! Actually, all being an electrician requires in the math field is HIGH SCHOOL ALGEBRA, something almost every high school student takes.

I'm totally fed up with people who are so jealous of those with college degrees that they poo-poo them like you just did. Your average electrical engineer is the boss at the power company!

Quote:

I read the article. I don't watch videos; I think I've said that a few times before. Life is too short to waste 5 minutes here, 15 minutes there; people have even posted 30 minute videos and then get mad when others don't watch them.

From the article:

**Of course, there are other reasons foreign companies have moved here. For starters, wages are lower than the national average. Even more important for many manufacturers, unions have made few inroads in South Carolina.**

Old 12-01-2013, 02:03 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,176,333 times
I'm not jealous of people with college degrees, why, I know several. They make less money than I do and too many of them are stuck in cubicles all day. The surveyors have fun though, if the weather is OK. And there is the guy who makes a lot of money but he has to go to Afghanistan to do it.

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't feel like you have to go to college if you don't want to. It has been sold to a generation of young adults as the only path to success and it simply isn't required. The guy keeping your local ISP going is making more than most college folks and he doesn't doesn't have an " IT degree. " He studied for some industry certifications, which is what the IT department really wants.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
I'm not jealous of people with college degrees, why, I know several. They make less money than I do and too many of them are stuck in cubicles all day. The surveyors have fun though, if the weather is OK. And there is the guy who makes a lot of money but he has to go to Afghanistan to do it.

What I'm saying is that you shouldn't feel like you have to go to college if you don't want to. It has been sold to a generation of young adults as the only path to success and it simply isn't required. The guy keeping your local ISP going is making more than most college folks and he doesn't doesn't have an " IT degree. " He studied for some industry certifications, which is what the IT department really wants.
You're sure about that, eh? All the statistics show that people with college degrees make more than those without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies