Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 02:59 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Not enough prison cells? I don't know. Ask the people who wrote the law.

Let me ask you..... John Q gets convicted of aggravated rape and spends ten years in prison. His sentence has been served and he is being released next week. Should he be allowed to go buy a gun? Answer that one for me.

Again, the problem here is that there are no one size fits all solutions here. It's not enough to say all felons should lose their rights forever and ever, just like it's not enough to say that all felons who serve their time should get them back. In some cases, sure, they should get their rights back after they serve their time. In other cases, they should never get them back.
He should be able to buy a gun if he is out of prison and walking among us. A gun isn't the only weapon. If he can't buy a gun, then he shouldn't be able to buy or possess a knife, rock, wrench or even a large stick.

And before you say that a gun just makes killing easier, it definitely wasn't needed by a friend of the family when she beat her mother to death with a pipe wrench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 04:29 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
He should be able to buy a gun if he is out of prison and walking among us. A gun isn't the only weapon. If he can't buy a gun, then he shouldn't be able to buy or possess a knife, rock, wrench or even a large stick.

And before you say that a gun just makes killing easier, it definitely wasn't needed by a friend of the family when she beat her mother to death with a pipe wrench.
I don't know what to tell you then. The thought that there are some who believe convicted and released rapists, child molesters, armed robbers, etc should be allowed to own a gun is scary. Definitely doesn't help the fight for the Second Amendment.

Your prerogative though....

Old 12-04-2013, 04:37 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
There's no compensation for turning a firearm over to law enforcement, is there? Though I suppose you still could legally sell it to an FFL holder.
I was wondering about that myself. If prohibited people are allowed to sell their guns to an FFL. Doubtful though.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:04 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
I was wondering about that myself. If prohibited people are allowed to sell their guns to an FFL. Doubtful though.
Since all transfers in CA must go through an FFL who updates the state database, then I don't see that as an issue. Once the "offender" sells to an FFL or through an FFL, ownership in the database is updated (supposedly).

Old 12-05-2013, 01:33 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Have we passed a single law that has kept heroine, meth or cocaine out of the hands of drug addicts?
This is a point that gets little attention. The laws make drugs illegal, and then the CIA brings in massive loads of drugs to help fund their OP's. Laws aren't designed to actually stop drugs, they are designed to fill prisons with drug offenders. In this respect it has been a raging success.

Now they have passed laws that turn legal gun owners into felons overnight. It's outrageous, and anyone who doesn't see anything wrong with this is an ignorant putz.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I don't know what to tell you then. The thought that there are some who believe convicted and released rapists, child molesters, armed robbers, etc should be allowed to own a gun is scary. Definitely doesn't help the fight for the Second Amendment.

Your prerogative though....
Where do you get this from? Felons are not and have never been allowed to own a gun.

18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(1). It says that anyone "who has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year" is barred from possessing a gun. The only felonies that are not covered by the federal gun ban are 1) those "pertaining to antitrust violations, unfair trade practices, restraints of trade, or other similar offenses relating to the regulation of business practices," per 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(20)(A); and 2) felony convictions from foreign countries, per Small v. United States, --- U.S. ---, 2005 WL 946620 (April 26, 2005).

NOBODY WANTS FELONS TO OWN WEAPONS

I don't know how many times I've heard this nonsense, and only idiots would support such a thing.

On the other hand, I am worried about how many law abiding people will be labeled a felon through no fault of their own. These madmen in Sacremental are power hungry control freaks. They rejoiced when they passed these ILLEGAL bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post

Absolutely not! I'm sorry, but there is a big difference between up close and personal (a pipe wrench) and reaching out and touching someone with a bullet. The last thing I'd want is for your so-called "friend" to have had a gun post-murder.

Honestly... most people who are pro-gun and pro-second also have common sense. Extremists seem to think everyone else is extreme as well, and this just isn't the case. Most of us are getting fed up with all this extreme line drawing, and we're losing our rights while being sidetracked by all the nonsense.

Last edited by surfman; 12-05-2013 at 01:49 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, gullible.

There's a difference. Trusting politicians is only for the gullible - though many of them are, indeed, 'smart'. They just let their intelligence be overridden by emotion.
Groupthink and brainwashed audiences who believe fake talking heads/shills on cnn, creating hysteria about gun owners.

For some reason Americans (some)- never learn to question anything, and behave like sheep. Turning off mainstream (paid and controlled) media would be a start.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
The 'war on drugs' as mentioned above *(thanks poster) always was a sham.

Old 12-05-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
The 'war on drugs' as mentioned above *(thanks poster) always was a sham.
Thanks

Politicians are using laws to suppress, control, and push personal ideologies, rather than to keep civil order.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:01 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good Lord..everyone will be left with a youth pump action shotgun.

My god--how are they going to fend off the attacking militias marching down 5th Ave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies