Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 12:43 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Then NYC law that the OP quoted has been in place since 1991, never been challenged.
The handgun Ban in Chicago lasted nearly three decades before it was finally challenged and overturned..... what's you point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The SAFE act was minimal legislation and guns are just
one facet of life, no one is leaving a good job in a good school district in a
great neighborhood because they are restricted to 10 rounds.
Before you go and call the SAFE Act "minimal" legislation, you might actually want to learn what it is and what it does, because you obviously have no idea. There was already a magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds in the state of NY. The SAFE Act, in it's original language, assigned a new limitation of 7 round magazines, which was one of the most controversial provisions of the law.

That provision of the law was changed after the law makers who haphazardly threw it together and passed it in the dead of night realized that there was no such thing as 7 round magazine. After they had this epiphany, they declared that you could keep your 10 round magazine but you could only put 7 bullets in it.... After that, they suspended the entire provision after they realized that they had not written an exemption in to the law for law enforcement and security personnel.

I guess this is what passes for competent law making in NY

Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
That provision of the law was changed after the law makers who haphazardly threw it together and passed it in the dead of night realized that there was no such thing as 7 round magazine. :
Maybe they all just think people should only own 1911s.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
Maybe they all just think people should only own 1911s.
lol, I don't know......

The 7 round magazine provision would have effectively banned 95% of semi-automatic handguns in the state of NY though.....

Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
having lived in Italy before for 12 years, I can tell you that some parts are actually good, but some other parts are worse than living in the USA. I am glad I live here in the USA rather than live in Europe where the government tends to tax the crap out of the people they are suppose to be serving.
I agree: but the worse parts of Italy don't have crime and murder rates comparable to Georgia, Mississippi or Louisiana's ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I did not say that NYC will fail, you said that. I said that NYC will have lost revenue from people that leave due to poor laws.
Poor laws?
Oh yeah, unregulated sales of deadly weapons is the best choice

Old 12-17-2013, 02:23 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
I agree: but the worse parts of Italy don't have crime and murder rates comparable to Georgia, Mississippi or Louisiana's ones

Poor laws?
Oh yeah, unregulated sales of deadly weapons is the best choice
The laws are unlawful according to the bill of rights.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Before you go and call the SAFE Act "minimal" legislation, you might actually want to learn what it is and what it does, because you obviously have no idea. There was already a magazine capacity limit of 10 rounds in the state of NY. The SAFE Act, in it's original language, assigned a new limitation of 7 round magazines, which was one of the most controversial provisions of the law.

That provision of the law was changed after the law makers who haphazardly threw it together and passed it in the dead of night realized that there was no such thing as 7 round magazine. After they had this epiphany, they declared that you could keep your 10 round magazine but you could only put 7 bullets in it.... After that, they suspended the entire provision after they realized that they had not written an exemption in to the law for law enforcement and security personnel.

Well, hopefully sooner or later NYC will have gun laws as lenient as in the "great" state of Ohio.

More guns on the streets will make NYC as safe as Akron, Cincinnati, Dayton, Youngstown, Cleveland... oh wait... nevermind

Old 12-17-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
The laws are unlawful according to the bill of rights.
Yawn... move to Nebraska.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:28 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,668,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Yawn... move to Nebraska.
I'm not in NY ***Yawn****

Old 12-17-2013, 03:25 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:

I stand corrected 10 round magazines with a 7 round limit and yes I view that entire legislation as minimal.

Chicago was complete ban on handguns this is minor this is not even close. There were some flaws as you pointed out but many positives in the legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies