Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 06:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

I think very few people truly believe earth is only 6000 years old. But I remember when I once was visiting an old friend. At the time her kids were only 4 and 5 years old. We were talking about dinosaurs and I happened to mention that they roamed earth some 100 million +++ years ago.
I was then told by their mother that they had been taught dinosaurs, if they ever excited, lived no more than 6000 years ago since that's how old earth was.
These were not any dumb people either. They both had very good job, making good money and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 06:47 PM

66 posts, read 69,802 times
man, key word is Love , Love to any field ( science, sport, music) - when u are doing something with Love - you will have become a pro in your job. take a compare the advanced and a developing countries . you cant fool yourself when you are trying to do something, if that was wrong -mean - ther is no Love in that job, project. Ask yourself why among actors so much jews ? Why so many slavs countries were under the communism? Many people love their jobs, but dont love anybody, many people dont love job and anybody. Advanced countries are closer to love to somebody and job in one time. all attempts to turn out laws of Love for your personal profit - lead to disaster each person( or countries) who did it. proved by
all sciences on the planet. economic, languages, history, biology, chemistry, maths, physics.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Does everyone need to know everything?

You are right every person doesn't need to know everything....

But the bloody basics would be bloody nice.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
We don't raise our kids to do hard.
Speak for yourself.

Old 12-02-2013, 07:04 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,193,007 times
Quote:
We don't raise our kids to do hard. We raise our kids to chase grades....to memorize long enough to take the test and then forget....we don't expect them to think deeply about anything because that is hard and, as parents, we might not have bragging rights to how brilliant our offspring are if they do hard.....and it might hurt their egos.... .
That is not the way I raised my child. I raised her to work hard, challenge herself, explore the world, and think outside the box.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:29 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

You are right every person doesn't need to know everything....

But the bloody basics would be bloody nice.

Who gets to declare what basics people need to know? I guarantee that if you and I sat down and wrote a list of basics we'd like everyone to know they would be quite different.

For example, I have not needed to know the three branches of government once since I took the test in high school government class. While it was worth learning, because it's good to have an idea how your government works, it's not the end of the world if someone cannot name all three branches. That's really just a jeopardy question.

While I cringe when I hear people talk about how the earth is closer to the sun in summer and farther away in winter (common misconception), I know that the workings of the solar system don't impact their lives. If they did, they'd know how it really works.

What is basic to me may not be basic to you and vice versa. We tend to remember that which we need and use and forget what was taught to us in passing that we don't need or use.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-03-2013 at 04:41 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
That is not the way I raised my child. I raised her to work hard, challenge herself, explore the world, and think outside the box.
Good for you but this is not the norm. We really are lazy. Over the years I've had a dozen or so foreign exchange students and almost all of them have commented on how easy school is here. We don't challenge our kids because we're too worried about their self esteem and their GPA's. We have crazy ideas like everyone is college material when they are not. So we dummy down education to make our kids feel better and look smarter only they're not.

Thinking outside of the box is a real challenge in my classes. My kids want a rubric they can follow to get a grade. They don't think. They don't want to think. Thinking is hard. They don't do hard.

Be careful that your child doesn't pick up bad habits from their peers. Peers can pull kids down to their level in spite of our best efforts. Peer influence is stronger than parental influence unless you're raising your kids in isolation.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Oh for God's sake, no pun intended.

It is difficult for OTHER PEOPLE. Not you. Not YOU. This thread is not about YOU.
No, the thread is about religion and science. I'm just proof that science and religion are not mutually exclusive as some are trying to claim. I'm also a teacher and I've seen hundreds of students and see no evidence that religion stops kids from learning science. I have seen kids with strong religious beliefs do well in science and seen kids who are atheists flunk my class. I see laziness and lack of interest stopping kids from learning science. From my vantage point, I see that our kids just don't do hard. They do not value learning for learning's sake. They don't value an education. An education is a means to an end. A ticket to a job. They're into ticket punching.

No this isn't about me but I am an example of the fact that religion an science are not mutually exclusive. In fact, they can play quite well together. Throughout the years almost everyone I've known in science has had strong religious beliefs. I've met a few who didn't but most did.

Also, one must consider just what percent of the population has strong religious beliefs. Let's say it's 50% and that those who claim that religion stands in the way of learning science are right. My question to you is what's stopping the other 50%?

The premise of this thread is badly flawed.

As I've said, as a teacher I do not see religion stopping kids from learning science. I see laziness stopping them. I see the self esteem movement as having created kids who are unwilling to take chances. If you don't take chances you won't learn science. Science is hard. We don't do hard. I'm not seeing the proof that that religious beliefs are the culprit here. I can personally name half a dozen chemists who are Christians who are very good at what they do. Being a former chemical engineer, I happen to know more people in the sciences and I do not see religion as being the stumbling block that some here are claiming it is. I used to attend a church of 300 members where I was one of about 50 scientists or engineers who were members. Why so many? Because there are lots of jobs for scientists and engineers here...well there were back then. Show me your proof that religion stands in the way of learning science. I'm not seeing it. I see laziness as being a far bigger problem.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
So, tell me how I managed to get a masters in chemical engineering and graduate at the top of my class without answering this question???

The flaw in your logic is thinking one must answer this question in order to study science. That is not true. You are trying to make THIS question a sticking point when it isn't. One can believe the earth is only 6000 years old and still study science. All one has to do is view science as studying the laws God laid down on the day of creation.
And dismiss all the evidence to the contrary of your belief in a young earth.

"Why does the evidence say this artifact is millions of years old when the Bible says the Earth is younger? Hmmm.... because God made it look that way!"

That's not scientific.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
For thirty years, Gallup has been asking Americans their views about evolution and human beings, and the results have been remarkably consistent and stable.

Last year, Gallup once again reported that nearly half of the country believe the Biblical version of events: “Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years.”

How many Americans actually believe the earth is only 6,000 years old? | The Raw Story

Your article says 10%:

“In short, then, the hard core of young-earth creationists represents at most one in ten Americans — maybe about 31 million people — with another quarter favoring creationism but not necessarily committed to a young earth,” Rosenau concludes. “One or two in ten seem firmly committed to evolution, and another third leans heavily toward evolution. About a third of the public in the middle are open to evolution, but feel strongly that a god or gods must have been involved somehow, and wind up in different camps depending how a given poll is worded.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies