Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
The world is only 56 years old. It did not exist before I was born, otherwise I would have remembered it.
No, it's only 54 years old... Everything is relative isn't it? I guess the world will cease to exist when we cease to exist. It certainly won't matter to us anymore, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 06:10 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
yeah, the earth is 6k years old and God built the last few billion backstory as an elaborate joke. Dinosaurs were planted. . .ha

silly God
Don't you know the dinosaurs died in the flood? They were just too big for the ark....

Logically, however, if God intends for us not to be able to prove his existence, he just might have. If we could prove God existed, there would be no faith. If we're here as a test of faith we can rest assured that nothing we uncover will prove God exists and created this universe. Either way we will not find proof of the existence of God so we might as well stop looking for it. Personally I don't care if all of this was created in an instant however many years ago or set in motion and allowed to evolve. It's all the same. For all I know God sneezed however many years ago and this universe was the result. I just know something outside of this universe caused this universe to come into being. If brane theory proves to be correct, physics will adopt that view as well.

I figure God can do what God wants to do and I'm in no position to tell him otherwise. As a result, I just don't care how old this world is. I just know I expect that science will not find evidence of the existence of God. I'm not a bible literalist so I don't have issues either way. I'm fine with the creation story being just a story. I figure there had to be a first man and first woman capable of communing with God regardless of how we got here and they're Adam and Eve and no less God's creation if he made them from mud or set in motion the process by which they evolved. The longer I think on these things the less they matter to me. This just isn't a sticking point. I once let it be one for a long time but now realize that was wasted time.

If one believes God is capable of anything, then yes, he could have created entire species that are now extinct just to throw us off the track. I doubt that's the case but can't prove it either way so it's not worth my effort. I, personally, think of it more of a rapid aging of the planet and species on the planet. If the time frame in the bible is to be accepted, I'd have to accept it as God time and I don't know that God time is the same as our time (time is part of our space time continuum and may not even exist outside of this universe.) . I think of it as fast forwarding to the part of the movie you want to watch but that's just my thoughts on the matter. I just know I don't get to tell God what he should do and how he should do it. I also know that I don't care how old this world is or appears to be. It just doesn't matter. We go with what it appears to be when talking about science and realize that when it comes to God anything is possible when talking about religion.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 12-03-2013 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-03-2013, 11:39 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Don't you know the dinosaurs died in the flood? They were just too big for the ark....

Logically, however, if God intends for us not to be able to prove his existence, he just might have. If we could prove God existed, there would be no faith. If we're here as a test of faith we can rest assured that nothing we uncover will prove God exists and created this universe. Either way we will not find proof of the existence of God so we might as well stop looking for it. Personally I don't care if all of this was created in an instant however many years ago or set in motion and allowed to evolve. It's all the same. For all I know God sneezed however many years ago and this universe was the result. I just know something outside of this universe caused this universe to come into being. If brane theory proves to be correct, physics will adopt that view as well.

I figure God can do what God wants to do and I'm in no position to tell him otherwise. As a result, I just don't care how old this world is. I just know I expect that science will not find evidence of the existence of God. I'm not a bible literalist so I don't have issues either way. I'm fine with the creation story being just a story. I figure there had to be a first man and first woman capable of communing with God regardless of how we got here and they're Adam and Eve and no less God's creation if he made them from mud or set in motion the process by which they evolved. The longer I think on these things the less they matter to me. This just isn't a sticking point. I once let it be one for a long time but now realize that was wasted time.

If one believes God is capable of anything, then yes, he could have created entire species that are now extinct just to throw us off the track. I doubt that's the case but can't prove it either way so it's not worth my effort. I, personally, think of it more of a rapid aging of the planet and species on the planet. If the time frame in the bible is to be accepted, I'd have to accept it as God time and I don't know that God time is the same as our time (time is part of our space time continuum and may not even exist outside of this universe.) . I think of it as fast forwarding to the part of the movie you want to watch but that's just my thoughts on the matter. I just know I don't get to tell God what he should do and how he should do it. I also know that I don't care how old this world is or appears to be. It just doesn't matter. We go with what it appears to be when talking about science and realize that when it comes to God anything is possible when talking about religion.

Who or what created God?

Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
I'm fecking sick of religion.

I actually can bring myself to respect some of the philosophical teachings of the Bible and the Sutra - even some of the Quran. It's just the freaking human interpretations and perversions of the philosophy that I can't tolerate.

Religion is for people who are terrified of the thought that this might in fact be it; that they really are insignificant blips in the totality of our existence. We want to believe that we're important as individuals. Yet in reality, our lives are worth barely a cup of p1ss. The world will keep right on turning. Deal with it. Stop worrying about the life you may not have and enjoy the one you know you do have. Time's running out.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:24 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Who or what created God?
The Uber-God, Zeus.

Of course, Zeus was created by Cronus and Rhea. Naturally, they were incestuous because they were siblings who came to be when Uranus (the primal Greek god/sky, not the planet) shacked up with Gaia, the primal Greek mother/earth.

Ah, what am I saying? You just got to believe, man. You just got to. Or you'll go to hell, don't ya' know? And hell is BAD. BAAAAAD, I tell ya'.

I have no idea how grown men and women can believe this stuff... Perhaps if I had killed more brain cells in my youth, I'd be right there with them - seeing colors, hearing voices, burning candles, talking to myself.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:26 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Maybe ivorytickler is trying to say that to her all that matters is her faith and she doesn't have to prove her belief to anyone. She I'd not fanatical and seems to be pretty opened minded and willing to discuss. In other words, the bible isn't the only truth. She is well aware of that humans wrote it.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:28 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
There seems to be a stunning disconnect when the topic of religion enters ANY situation. You can take people who are totally succesful in their private and employed lives, people who employ common sense, logic, and reason to get through their day and achieve the great things they have in life, and the minute you bring up the Bible and their literal belief in it, it's like a switch shuts off in their brains. All of a sudden, blind faith is the name of the game, and anyone who doubts is an enemy of God. The common sense, logic, and reason they employ in every other aspect of their daily lives that has made them successful suddenly has no bearing when religion enters the equation. Critical thought is obsolete. REPENT OR BURN!!!
This is a feature of ideology in general. It isn't particular to religion.

Despite VAWA, specialized dedicated sex crimes units in law enforcement, rape shield laws, graduate courses in women's studies, massive funding for women's health, etc feminists still accept it as fundamental truth that we live in a patriarchal rape culture where women aren't valued.

Despite the bulk of UN funding coming from America and the United States providing far more disaster relief and humanitarian aid around the world than any other nation you still have people who believe America is an evil imperialist nation that is the source of world conflict.

Despite the collapse of every communist nation in history, you still have communist parties all around the world. And despite free market industrialized societies having higher standards of living everywhere, these people still claim that capitalism is the cause of poverty.

It's just easier for the human mind to believe in a simplistic philosophy than to accept reality. Their philosophies, whether they are religious, economic, or political in nature always point the way to some form of utopia. Just believe in X and everything will turn out better.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:10 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
For thirty years, Gallup has been asking Americans their views about evolution and human beings, and the results have been remarkably consistent and stable.

Last year, Gallup once again reported that nearly half of the country believe the Biblical version of events: “Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years.”

How many Americans actually believe the earth is only 6,000 years old? | The Raw Story

Most Christians do not believe the world is 6,000 years old. Keep in mind that the Bible was written BY MEN to describe the events, history, and world around them. That is the INTERPRETATION OF MAN AT THE TIME.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:46 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
How about this.....if you believe in God, then you also believe God created science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies